Advertising Kings--2016 Ford F-750 Tonka Dump Truck

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Advertising Kings--2016 Ford F-750 Tonka Dump Truck

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 1,434 Posts
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

Advertising Kings--2016 Ford F-750 Tonka Dump Truck

Mighty Ford F-750 TONKA Dump Truck Is Ready for Work or Play

-Mighty Ford F-750 TONKA, the ultimate TONKA truck, is built on all-new 2016 Ford F-650/F-750, the anchor of Ford’s commercial truck lineup and the toughest, smartest, best-value Ford medium-duty trucks ever

-Dump truck created by Ford and TONKA, both iconic brands that people of all ages associate with tough truck capability for work or play

-Mighty Ford F-750 TONKA powered by Ford 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V8 diesel engine with working dump body from Truck Tech Engineers and 33,000-pound gross vehicle weight rating

INDIANAPOLIS, March 3, 2015 – The wraps come off the mighty Ford F-750 TONKA truck – the nearly 10-foot-tall ultimate TONKA truck that is also Built Ford Tough – at the NTEA Work Truck show today.

Based on the all-new 2016 Ford F-650/F-750, the bold dump truck is painted signature TONKA yellow with a custom blackout nostril grille and fully functional dump body from Truck Tech Engineers. The F-750 TONKA is ready to move dirt at job sites, create new playgrounds and fuel the imaginations of kids of all ages.

“From Generation Z to the Greatest Generation, Ford and TONKA continue to set the standards for tough trucks,” said John Ruppert, general manager, Ford Commercial Vehicle Sales and Marketing. “People of all ages have been counting on Ford F-Series and TONKA trucks to get the job done – from construction site to sandbox – for more than 60 years.”

The mighty Ford F-750 TONKA truck – which will be on display at major work truck, commercial and vocational trade shows through the end of the year – is a collaboration between Ford and Funrise Toy Corporation, TONKA manufacturer of TONKA branded products under license from Hasbro®.

“We are proud TONKA trucks are put to work every day around the world,” said Kathy Hawk, Funrise vice president of marketing. “Creating this F-750 TONKA truck is a special way to celebrate that many of today’s Ford truck customers first drove a TONKA truck.”

The Ford F-650/F-750 anchors the Ford commercial truck lineup – America’s best-selling line of commercial trucks for 30 straight years – giving vocational customers an unmatched one-stop shop to meet their needs, from a Class 1 Ford Transit Connect cargo van to a Class 7 Ford F-750 tractor rig.

Offered in Regular Cab, SuperCab and Crew Cab styles and in straight-frame, dock-height and an all-new dedicated tractor model for heavy towing applications, the 2016 F-650/F-750 features a bold look inside and out.

The Ford F-750 TONKA’s exterior styling commands attention on the road and at the job site with Built Ford Tough looks that also help deliver upgraded functionality. The custom grille framed by hallmark Ford nostrils helps improve airflow for optimal cooling performance.

Sharp fenders, rugged headlamps and F-650/F-750 badges embossed in the “Bold Leadership” font are new for all 2016 F-650/F-750 trucks. Available PowerScope® trailer tow mirrors feature large standard mirrors and spotter mirrors and segment-exclusive power telescoping and folding design. The area behind the cab was redesigned to more easily accommodate custom work bodies, such as for tow trucks, dump trucks and ambulances.

The mighty Ford F-750 TONKA carries Ford’s most capable gross vehicle weight rating of 33,000 pounds on a 158-inch wheelbase. Its Truck Tech Engineers dump body can haul up to 17,000 pounds to support the construction needs of almost any imagination.

The F-750 TONKA is powered by the Ford-built and proven 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V8 diesel paired with a commercial-grade six-speed TorqShift® HD automatic transmission. The available power takeoff provision that runs the dump body can power other accessories in the field, including a crane or other vocational equipment.

The 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 turbo diesel engine features three engine power ratings, including best-in-class standard diesel horsepower and torque for medium-duty trucks, and no vocational limits on top ratings.

The three diesel power levels available for the 2016 Ford F-650/F-750 are:

-Best-in-class standard 270 horsepower, 675 lb.-ft. torque
    -300 horsepower, 700 lb.-ft. torque
    -330 horsepower, 725 lb.-ft. torque

Multiple ratings provide customers the flexibility to scale engine power to work applications and operations.

The 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 comes with a five-year, 250,000-mile warranty.

Ford is the only medium-duty truck manufacturer that designs and builds its own diesel engine and transmission combination – ensuring the powertrain will work seamlessly with all chassis components and vehicle calibrations.

In addition to its Power Stroke diesel engine, Ford remains the only automaker in the segment to offer a gasoline-powered engine for a medium-duty truck. The 6.8-liter V10 engine with 320 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque will now be available for both F-650 and F-750 models with the TorqShift HD six-speed automatic transmission. The 6.8-liter V10 engine can be factory-prepped for converting to compressed natural gas or liquid propane gas as cost-effective alternatives to gasoline.

The 2016 Ford F-650/F-750 medium-duty truck lineup will be available this summer and built at Ohio Assembly Plant.

Additional photos can be seen at the link posted above.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (03-04-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ChrisGinNC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,685 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ford F-150 - 2016 Chevy S

Re: Advertising Kings--2016 Ford F-750 Tonka Dump Truck

That's pretty sweet. I wish GM would get back into this segment.
    2019 Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3L - Havana Brown
    2019 Silverado RST 4x4 5.3L - Black

Previous:
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5L EB
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    2016 Colorado Z71 Duramax
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT
    2014 Silverado High Country

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

I called this an advertising win because this will not see a real world application, but it shows how Ford can be less than serious in a serious market.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

paul8488 (03-05-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,348 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGinNC View Post
    That's pretty sweet. I wish GM would get back into this segment.
    I know the rumour was RAM was going to go into the MEDIUM market but a LOT of nothing from GM

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I know the rumour was RAM was going to go into the MEDIUM market but a LOT of nothing from GM
    My inside source told me they're currently doing phone polling to determine if there's enough interest. From there they're going to conduct a series market research meetings with random potential buyers. After that they've slated a meeting with their largest dealers who sell the most fleet trucks. If the market is still seemingly there after these first sets of meetings they're going to plug that data into their corporate supercomputer and run it against their "is it possible to sell these every third Tuesday of the month" algorithm. If the data checks out it'll go to the design team. When the design is approved it'll go to the engineers for a feasibility study. I'm being told they could fast track this entire project, put new sheetmetal on a 2009 Kodiak with a carryover drivetrain and have this on the lots by 2021. Find New Roads while daring greatly...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GHull3 For This Useful Post:

CurtisH (03-05-2015),Extreme4x4 (03-05-2015),paul8488 (03-05-2015)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ChrisGinNC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,685 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ford F-150 - 2016 Chevy S

Ram is in the Medium Duty class 4/5 market already. I did hear rumors a year or so ago about Ram possibly going all the way up to class 8 tractors using some of Fiats technology in their European trucks.

The rumors about GM getting back into the Medium Duty market have been around since they left in 2009. Latest one is that they're in talks with Navistar.
    2019 Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3L - Havana Brown
    2019 Silverado RST 4x4 5.3L - Black

Previous:
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5L EB
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    2016 Colorado Z71 Duramax
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT
    2014 Silverado High Country

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,303 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Quote Originally Posted by GHull3 View Post
    My inside source told me they're currently doing phone polling to determine if there's enough interest. From there they're going to conduct a series market research meetings with random potential buyers. After that they've slated a meeting with their largest dealers who sell the most fleet trucks. If the market is still seemingly there after these first sets of meetings they're going to plug that data into their corporate supercomputer and run it against their "is it possible to sell these every third Tuesday of the month" algorithm. If the data checks out it'll go to the design team. When the design is approved it'll go to the engineers for a feasibility study. I'm being told they could fast track this entire project, put new sheetmetal on a 2009 Kodiak with a carryover drivetrain and have this on the lots by 2021. Find New Roads while daring greatly...
    Wow, you get good inside information !!!!

Good one, btw.
    The resident "girl"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Hehe I'll give credit to GM for making the right call for the midsize pickup market, but they do manage to be behind the ball from time to time too...
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

As mentioned already, class 4-5 is considered medium duty. Only GM is outside of this market. Actually, Kenworth lists medium duty as class 4-7.

And yet, we all know GM could be selling Silverado/Sierra 4500/5500 models right now without breaking the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGinNC View Post
    Ram is in the Medium Duty class 4/5 market already. I did hear rumors a year or so ago about Ram possibly going all the way up to class 8 tractors using some of Fiats technology in their European trucks.
    Ram class 8 tractors based on European trucks just won't have the same appeal as this.

And after all of this discussion, I ran across this article. Notice the last 2 lines?

As for GMC's participation in the commercial vehicle sector, expect that to be deprioritized. When quizzed about when to expect something like a new Sierra 4500 or 5500 chassis cab, Aldred told PickupTrucks.com that products like that "aren't being ruled out, but they're a low priority for us at the moment."
    Last edited by NoStopN; 03-05-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

I don't need one of those. I've already compensated for my insecurities with an F250 King Ranch Super Duper Duty.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    I don't need one of those. I've already compensated for my insecurities with an F250 King Ranch Super Duper Duty.
    I see your insecurities and raise you a midlife crisis!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    V-6 Magnum!

As for Ford, NoStopN called it. Ford is trying to get back into class 6 and 7 commercial trucks (their current versions are made for them by Navistar) at minimum cost with a truck that will compete on price for the largest medium duty market segments (vans, flatbeds, ect.). It's not a serious effort and won't be competitive with International/Freightliner/Pcar, but it should be the cheapest truck on the market in those weight classes. Jury is out on this one, maybe Ford will make a buck or two on them.

Ram is not looking to expand beyond their 4500's and 5500's. There was some talk (before Diaz left) of using Ram to bring over some Iveco product, but now that Iveco is separated from FCA their doesn't seem much chance of anything happening. New Ram chief Hegbloom denied any knowledge of plans with Iveco when he was asked that specific question earlier this month.

GM. Well, after 4 years of rumors, there still isn't anything substantial to report. At various times the rumors have been that a 4500/5500 cab and chassis Silverado/Sierra is coming, the GMT-560 Kodiak/Topkick are coming back, GM is working with Isuzu, and GM is again working with Navistar. Nonetheless, the rumors persist and I think it's safe to say that Ruess does want back in the medium duty market.

One more thing to consider regarding GMC boss Aldred's comments: Keep in mind he was specifically asked about a SIERRA 4500. Note that the 2 newest GM commercial trucks, the City Express and Colorado cab and chassis, are Chevy only models with no GMC counterparts. This is in keeping with GM's market strategy for GMC, that GMC will market upscale personal use pickups and SUV/CUV's. Chevy will be the brand directed to commercial users. Remember that.......

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information