98-01 Explorers

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 98-01 Explorers

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Buick LaCrosse

98-01 Explorers

Hi!

I asked in the Chevy discussion about Tahoes too, but like I said my girlfriend and I were looking at a quality older utility vehicle under 4-5k. Does anyone still drive the 98-01 Explorer? I always loved these as a kid and wouldn't mind picking up one of these. I know the 02-05 models are supposed to be pretty much garbage with a ton of tranny problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: 98-01 Explorers

they really sold well in their day but you do NOT see them anymore at least in Canada
    I believe they had a bit of a rust issue and the NORMAL Ford electrical issues

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

btfu149 (03-30-2016)

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Buick LaCrosse

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    they really sold well in their day but you do NOT see them anymore at least in Canada
    I believe they had a bit of a rust issue and the NORMAL Ford electrical issues
    I still see them EVERYWHERE in Texas and Indiana. Now I don't know if it's due to the sheer amount of how many were sold back in the day that a good number of them were bound to survive or that that they were built that well to survive that long.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 995 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

I had a 98" Explorer for a few years. I believe it had the 5.0L/AWD combo. I had it from around 90-150k miles. The issues I had were wheel bearings, tranny didn't like to shift into 3rd until it was warmed up, and the catalytic converter went out at around 145k. We had the tranny checked out once or twice and nobody could figure it out. It was a decent truck considering the miles/age.

Good luck on whatever you end up purchasing!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

btfu149 (03-30-2016)

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Buick LaCrosse

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I had a 98" Explorer for a few years. I believe it had the 5.0L/AWD combo. I had it from around 90-150k miles. The issues I had were wheel bearings, tranny didn't like to shift into 3rd until it was warmed up, and the catalytic converter went out at around 145k. We had the tranny checked out once or twice and nobody could figure it out. It was a decent truck considering the miles/age.

Good luck on whatever you end up purchasing!
    Thanks! Yeah, all the online reviews seems to show the 5.0 engine version has held up quite well. You can find several nice Eddie Bauer versions for about $2.5k too that have about 125k miles.

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 995 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by btfu149 View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, all the online reviews seems to show the 5.0 engine version has held up quite well. You can find several nice Eddie Bauer versions for about $2.5k too that have about 125k miles.
    No problem. Good luck, its a crap shoot buying a higher mileage vehicle.

I do remember the Eddie Bauer's being pretty nice.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

I would suggest avoiding the V6 ones because those descendants of the A4LD sucked. The 4.0L SOHC had some timing chain and tensioner issues but I think those have been figured out by now. What you really want is the 302...mileage is the same if not better plus you get the 4R70W trans which is a reliable, durable unit.

Or find one with the M5OD five speed manual. The '92 XL 4x2 4 door five speed I had came form Texas actually

I spent a few years on the explorer4x4.com forum.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    I would suggest avoiding the V6 ones because those descendants of the A4LD sucked. The 4.0L SOHC had some timing chain and tensioner issues but I think those have been figured out by now. What you really want is the 302...mileage is the same if not better plus you get the 4R70W trans which is a reliable, durable unit.

Or find one with the M5OD five speed manual. The '92 XL 4x2 4 door five speed I had came form Texas actually

I spent a few years on the explorer4x4.com forum.
    The A4LD was never used in 98-01 it was the 4R44E or the 5R55E/S/W which is not like the A4LD in anyway, the A4LD had many week points and these were all beefed up for the 4R and 5R units which were reliable if you did regular maintenance, if you didn't you got bit. The 4R70/75W had many more issues than the 4R or 5R if you never did regular service to the unit and was way more expensive to overhaul.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information