2019 Ranger Raptor review

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ranger Raptor review

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,541 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

2019 Ranger Raptor review

https://www.caradvice.com.au/669708/...raptor-review/

"The biggest negative is the lack of straight line performance from the 2.0-litre diesel. We strapped the VBox to the Ranger Raptor and recorded a 0-100km/h time of 10.4 seconds"
    More at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,334 Posts

Re: 2019 Ranger Raptor review

Mother of god, I want a side by side comparo w/ ZR2 Diesel NOW!!!!

Also, the strange obsession with pointing out everywhere the word Raptor can be found, was a bit creepy.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,529 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Only milk and juice come in 2 litres
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

The point being that the 2 liter gets the Raptor into markets that would be tough to crack with a bigger engine.
    The suspension is brilliant and the lighter weight of the all alloy diesel over the front wheels makes that even better.

You don't get this Watts link suspension on any other current Ranger.

Ranger Raptor is heavy - 2400 Kg is around 5200 lbs, that's 225 lbs heavier than Colorado ZX2 at 4975 lbs.
    And I think that's where the smaller diesel suffers in acceleration against the 2.8 of the ZX2.

Just for example, a SuperCab F150 Raptor weighs 5,525 lbs
    Last edited by jpd80; 07-25-2018 at 07:28 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (07-26-2018)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I was amused by the complaint regarding a lack of features like interactive braking and lane departure, etc, etc as standard. A good many people who buy this vehicle aren't going to want those things. In fact, I want one of these once they appear in the U.S. assuming that the motor choice is right. And I can say without hesitation that if the ridiculous 'we know you don't really know how to drive' active nanny package were included as standard equipment, and is as difficult to turn off as it is in most cars that I have experienced, I would take a pass straight away.

In the U.S. I look for this to either come with a heavily revised version of the 2.3L EB I4 offered in the Focus RS or the 2.7L EB V6. Given the issues the RS engine has been encountering I think the odds of the latter are improving.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,627 Times in 3,686 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    I was amused by the complaint regarding a lack of features like interactive braking and lane departure, etc, etc as standard. A good many people who buy this vehicle aren't going to want those things. In fact, I want one of these once they appear in the U.S. assuming that the motor choice is right. And I can say without hesitation that if the ridiculous 'we know you don't really know how to drive' active nanny package were included as standard equipment, and is as difficult to turn off as it is in most cars that I have experienced, I would take a pass straight away.

In the U.S. I look for this to either come with a heavily revised version of the 2.3L EB I4 offered in the Focus RS or the 2.7L EB V6. Given the issues the RS engine has been encountering I think the odds of the latter are improving.
    Plus there are no lanes in the outback

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (07-25-2018),SVT74 (07-26-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Unfortunately, I don't thnk this Raptor will be coming to the US, it's last model on Gen 1 T6, Bronco will herald change to gen 2 T6 and feature the kind of engines those buyers expect. We could well see Bronco with 3.0 EB V6 and a 3.3 V6 and 3.3 V6 Hybrid as available in next year's RWD Explorer PIU. Those engines in next gen Ranger would cover most buyers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (07-26-2018)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,345 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I "get" there complaints BUT agree in a "show piece" OFF ROAD BAJA truck those features could become a liability (imagine it detecting a burm you plan on jumping and SLAMS ON THE BRAKES to prevent rear ending a stopped "car"

I want the 2.7EB but believe the engine bay is NOT wide enough for it as the 2.7L in my friends F150 is VERY WIDE for such a SMALL displacement engine - it is NOT "hot valley" design and the twin turbos are outside on the exhaust manifold making it wider then just DOHC heads

14. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (07-26-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't thnk this Raptor will be coming to the US, it's last model on Gen 1 T6, Bronco will herald change to gen 2 T6 and feature the kind of engines those buyers expect. We could well see Bronco with 3.0 EB V6 and a 3.3 V6 and 3.3 V6 Hybrid as available in next year's RWD Explorer PIU. Those engines in next gen Ranger would cover most buyers.
    It would just cannibalize F150 Raptor sales

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (07-26-2018)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,529 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Australian consumers are used to this sort of tech on 24k vehciles so they damn well expect it on a 70k vehicle
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (07-26-2018)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Anthony Evans's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Steve Jobs had a saying, it is better to cannibalize yourself, as gross as that maybe, than have some one else cannibalize you. I think I saw a German film along those lines.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    One man’s Canabalize is another’s complementary product

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

Anthony Evans (07-25-2018)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Plus there are no lanes in the outback
    Well put

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I know that being the only North American vehicle on the first gen T6 platform makes this something of an orphan here. And I too have heard multiple times, as I'm sure that you have, that this truck won't be coming here in Raptor trim. But, the American market is going to have this generation of Ranger for some time, and why we wouldn't get this gen of Raptor if we are getting this gen of Ranger never made sense to me as I had not heard, as yet, any compelling reasons for this. So, I just wrote it off as more redirection from Ford which seems to have become commonplace within the company. A couple of comments in this thread have made me rethink that though, including the idea that not enough room was left in the engine bay for any of the existing V6 engine options Ford might otherwise wanted to use in a Raptor. This is certainly reinforced by the reality that no version of this Ranger has yet been offered with anything but an inline engine, including the American model. You and I have discussed that Ford Dearborn wasn't entirely happy with how the T6/Ranger originally turned back in 2010 and that this created some frustration between Ford Dearborn and Ford Australia. While part of that was certainly that Ford felt the truck was just too expensive too produce at te time, an argument that I'm not sure I agree with anymore based upon what we know now, an engine bay that cannot swallow any of the corporate V6 engines easily could most definitely been a part of that frustration as well. And, not so long ago, I would go a long way toward explaining why Ford NA thought this might make the truck not a non-start in the American market. It may also go some way toward explaining how consideration of the Everest as an Explorer replacement was never taken more seriously than it was as well.

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I "get" there complaints BUT agree in a "show piece" OFF ROAD BAJA truck those features could become a liability (imagine it detecting a burm you plan on jumping and SLAMS ON THE BRAKES to prevent rear ending a stopped "car"
    That is an excellent point that I had not thought of

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000
    I want the 2.7EB but believe the engine bay is NOT wide enough for it as the 2.7L in my friends F150 is VERY WIDE for such a SMALL displacement engine - it is NOT "hot valley" design and the twin turbos are outside on the exhaust manifold making it wider then just DOHC heads
    And another great point. Good stuff sir.

I think that is always a fear, but with F-150 Raptor sales off the charts and that vehicle starting at 50k plus, I think there is room to squeeze this in. The Colorado ZR2 starts at just over 40k for reference, and I suspect this would be just a little more expensive than that is.

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Australian consumers are used to this sort of tech on 24k vehicles so they damn well expect it on a 70k vehicle
    In this specific case I don't think this is really an answer though. If the truck is overpriced then lower the msrp, don't throw a mishmash of standard options on top to try and make up for the high pricing. I don't know the numbers on coverage of the American market, but I can say with confidence that these features are extremely commonplace within the American market across the automotive spectrum. However, we are generally spared them in performance vehicles where they are typically left as an option because they aren't always desirable and don't always completely 'turn off' as one might hope that they would. I'm glad that Ford is doing so here as well.

This is good stuff guys, best conversation I have seen on GMI since I've been back.
    Last edited by SVT74; 07-26-2018 at 01:14 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Does it have a front locker?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    Does it have a front locker?
    Only GM's ex Hummer team is that serious about offroading, front lockers and diff coolers

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information