The 2010 Taurus That Could Have, Should Have Been

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2010 Taurus That Could Have, Should Have Been

Banned
    Thanks

The 2010 Taurus That Could Have, Should Have Been

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 kneedragger's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The 2010 Taurus That Could Have, Should Have Been

Your shtick is old now, and was never very good in the first place.

What thread do you have planned for tomorrow to take another shot at the Taurus?
    IMPORTED FROM DETROIT

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member MN12Fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Thunderbird, Ranger, Focus

What I don't get is that when you go to the link you see the header, a picture of the Falcon, and another link. When you go to that link you're simply taken to an overview of the Falcon F6E. No analysis or argument over why the Falcon is cooler than the Taurus? Or does that just go without saying now?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MN12Fan View Post
    No analysis or argument over why the Falcon is cooler than the Taurus? Or does that just go without saying now?
    I'm not slamming the Taurus in any way, shape, or form. But yes, it does go without saying.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Flex, 2015 Edge

Yeah, let's import a Falcon which is nearing the end of it's life. That worked well for Pontiac last time didn't it? Bringing the Falcon at this point would be more like the GTO than the G8, but even worse, as Falcon is not set up for LHD, which means a bigger investment.

How's that Caprice working for you?

Jeez Roto, you just need to buy your Taurus already.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I am quite fed up with Falcon fan boys bashing the 2010 Taurus, they are everywhere! They have no concept what a state-of-the-art product looks like. Safety, quality, technology, and AWD are not important factors to these people (probably because they are not the ones buying these cars or don't even live in the US). And besides, the Ford Falcon is outclassed by the Holden and that doesn't sell here without ton-o-cash on the hood.

Banned
    Thanks

This is a highly defensible position, whether you agree with it or not.

Many feel a proper car is and always will be based on RWD architecture. If you live in a snowy/inclement environment, an AWD option should be made available.

The Falcon, regardless of it's age, is widely acknowledge to have supreme driving dynamics, including steering feel and hustling through the twisties - something the Taurus will never reign supreme at, at not nearly the level of the Falcon.

The Falcon looks better to these eyes, although that's admittedly subjective. It's not a stretch to say the 2010 Taurus is far from a handsome vehicle.

There may be a very good reason so many are saying the Falcon is far and away a better car than the new Taurus. Maybe instead of bashing me for joining this opinion, those claiming the Taurus is a better vehicle are drinking the Ford Kool-Aid.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 999 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorocket View Post
    This is a highly defensible position, whether you agree with it or not.

Many feel a proper car is and always will be based on RWD architecture. If you live in a snowy/inclement environment, an AWD option should be made available.

The Falcon, regardless of it's age, is widely acknowledge to have supreme driving dynamics, including steering feel and hustling through the twisties - something the Taurus will never reign supreme at, at not nearly the level of the Falcon.

The Falcon looks better to these eyes, although that's admittedly subjective. It's not a stretch to say the 2010 Taurus is far from a handsome vehicle.

There may be a very good reason so many are saying the Falcon is far and away a better car than the new Taurus. Maybe instead of bashing me for joining this opinion, those claiming the Taurus is a better vehicle are drinking the Ford Kool-Aid.
    So you're saying that the Falcon is superior due to its DRIVING DYNAMICS and looks? For serious?

It's a large sedan. Say it with me again... a large sedan. You're concerned about DRIVING DYNAMICS in a LARGE SEDAN? Really now?

Driving dynamics are very low on the list of priorities in this segment. We already hit the key points of what these customers are looking for. Driving dynamics... as long as it handles securely, that's all that matters.

Bottom line... Falcon doesn't have the refinement, features, or AWD of the Taurus, which makes it an inferior vehicle in this segment, period. Falcon may be coming here as a niche companion vehicle for the Taurus in the near future, but that's it.

You want a handler? Buy an AWD Fusion, then do your hardest to flummox it on twisty roads. I dare you. That's a car you can flog the pi$s out of, and second only to its sister Mazda 6 in the segment.
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    So you're saying that the Falcon is superior due to its DRIVING DYNAMICS and looks? For serious?

It's a large sedan. Say it with me again... a large sedan. You're concerned about DRIVING DYNAMICS in a LARGE SEDAN? Really now?

Driving dynamics are very low on the list of priorities in this segment. We already hit the key points of what these customers are looking for. Driving dynamics... as long as it handles securely, that's all that matters.

Bottom line... Falcon doesn't have the refinement, features, or AWD of the Taurus, which makes it an inferior vehicle in this segment, period. Falcon may be coming here as a niche companion vehicle for the Taurus in the near future, but that's it.

You want a handler? Buy an AWD Fusion, then do your hardest to flummox it on twisty roads. I dare you. That's a car you can flog the pi out of, and second only to its sister Mazda 6 in the segment.
    So a BMW 5 or 7 Series are chopped liver?

What about a Jaguar XF?

Quattroporte?

Genesis Sedan?

G8?

Oh yes, the G8.

Thanks

So a BMW 5 or 7 Series are chopped liver?

What about a Jaguar XF?

Quattroporte?

Genesis Sedan?

G8?

Oh yes, the G8.
    5-Series is not a large sedan, and neither is the XF. The Fusion is larger than both.

7-Series and Quattroporte are niche players at best.

If you think the Genesis outhandles the Taurus, drive both, then tell me that with a straight face.

The G8? Ah yes... I forgot about that. G8 rules okay... I guess I'll go buy a 2010 G8 now. Wait...
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    5-Series is not a large sedan, and neither is the XF. The Fusion is larger than both.

7-Series and Quattroporte are niche players at best.

If you think the Genesis outhandles the Taurus, drive both, then tell me that with a straight face.

The G8? Ah yes... I forgot about that. G8 rules okay... I guess I'll go buy a 2010 G8 now. Wait...
    Oh really?

You don't think the rwd Genesis will smoke a Taurus? Hmmm.

Cadillac CTS.
    Infiniti M35.
    FWD:
    Honda Accord EX V6
    Volkswagen Passat V6
    Mazda 6 V6

I'm only getting warmed up.

Ach
    Thanks

Ah, but it is a stretch indeed. Is the Taurus so unattractive that it has ventured into objectively ugly (Aztec?) territory? That's a rather untenable position, no?

And although I love the Falcon, the car has hideously large front and rear overhangs.
    The Fleet:
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD
    2000 Ford SVT Contour
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1985 BMW 635CSi

The Past:
    2007 Lincoln MKZ
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1995 BMW 530i
    1998 Olds Aurora
    1994 Infiniti Q45t
    1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
    1989 Acura Legend Coupe L
    1989 Olds Eighty Eight Royale

Thanks

Oh really?

You don't think the rwd Genesis will smoke a Taurus? Hmmm.

Cadillac CTS.
    Infiniti M35.
    FWD:
    Honda Accord EX V6
    Volkswagen Passat V6
    Mazda 6 V6

I'm only getting warmed up.
    Smoke HOW? I drove an AWD MKS back to back with a RWD Genesis, and I assure you, the Genesis held no advantage in handling. The sheer weight of both of them mutes ANY nimbleness they might have had.

CTS, Accord, Passat, and Mazda 6 aren't large cars. Fusion is larger than all of them, save the Mazda, which shares mechanicals.

M35x also doesn't handle any better than the MKS. I found it especially laughable when Edmunds handed a win to the G35x over the Taurus SHO because the G35x HANDLED better. It's a smaller car... how could it NOT? M35x is a MUCH better comparison, and when you even out the weight/size game, Infiniti starts to sweat.

Banned
    Thanks

The Accord and Mazda6 are nearly as large or larger inside than the new Taurus. The new Mazda6 has nothing in common with the Fusion/Milan, which are based on the old Mazda6.

In fact, the Nissan Altima is nearly as large inside as the fat and bloated Taurus.

The Taurus is a bizarre combination of hulking weight, extreme exterior proportions, and yet either loses or barely beats cars costing far, far less in both handling and interior volume and especially usable interior space.

That Edmund's test must be horribly biased, as the Taurus lost.

We had a 2006 Passat, and I can assure you, it's not much smaller inside, and maybe larger (I will check on this one) than the 2010 Taurus.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 BrickTamland's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
    Yeah, let's import a Falcon which is nearing the end of it's life. That worked well for Pontiac last time didn't it? Bringing the Falcon at this point would be more like the GTO than the G8, but even worse, as Falcon is not set up for LHD, which means a bigger investment.

How's that Caprice working for you?

Jeez Roto, you just need to buy your Taurus already.
    The Falcon is new. The FG has only been on sale for a year.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Current: Galaxy Gray 2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
    Former: Super Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information