Pros and Cons with a torsion key lift?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Pros and Cons with a torsion key lift?

Walking
    Thanks

Pros and Cons with a torsion key lift?

I have an 05 GMC Sierra Z71. I bought it used and i'm assuming the torsion bars were already cranked up a bit because I have 305/75R17's now with no modifications to the bumper, etc.. Clearance is awesome. No rubbage, but the tread is almost all gone also which is why im bringing this up because i'll be putting new tires on soon. I notice my front end is starting to sag a little bit so i cranked up the bars each a 4 turns which helped but was also the max. The cheapest way would to put keys im assuming for more lift. Now by me doing this what is the downfall to this? Ride wise how bad will it be with regular autozone shocks.. CV Joints in a bind? And are their any strengths with this option other then money?

also... looking to get about 3" if possible with new tires. What size blocks should i add to the rear factory blocks to make the front slightly higher then the back?

I'm new to all this so if i'm asking for alot sorry. Just tryn to get alot of opinions before i spend money i dont have being a full time student on my own.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Pros and Cons with a torsion key lift?

I've lowered lots of cars and trucks, but haven't done any lifts, but the first thing I would do is measure your vehicle. In order to get the stance you want you need to know what your rake is. Longer shocks will most likely be necessary if your are lifting 3" as I think the stock shocks won't have much rebound left if you don't change shocks. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable in lifts can give you more advice.

Thanks

All the keys do is put more pressure on the bar. The ride will be rougher, and you are putting more stress on the system as a whole. Do some goggling there are some OEM ford keys with will lift the truck without the aftermaket cost.

Go with a full lift if you are going much higher.
    Find me at: Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter at: Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

yea i plan on just putting the ford keys like you said.. my cousin found some for like 28 bucks a piece. Were going to be doing the same thing. And another thing i prefer doing the torsion key lift is because about only 2% of my driving is off road (camp, pulling people out holes, etc..) but its mainly a street truck so i wouldnt think id have to worry about breaking cv joints. Now about the level, im assuming all factory Z's have blocks in the back like mine have. Should i get stackable blocks or just get rid of the factory and put one peice? I wouldnt think it matters but again im not familiar with the whole lift buisness. But lets say i do get the factory f150 keys.. How much should it lift my front end up if i crank the key at max?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 61BelAir View Post
    I've lowered lots of cars and trucks, but haven't done any lifts, but the first thing I would do is measure your vehicle. In order to get the stance you want you need to know what your rake is. Longer shocks will most likely be necessary if your are lifting 3" as I think the stock shocks won't have much rebound left if you don't change shocks. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable in lifts can give you more advice.
    depends on the lift. all a body lift does is seperate the body from the frame and puts it basically on blocks. doesnt change anything with the suspension, some other stuff is affected, but nothing like that.

it you a suspension lift kit, then yes you need new shocks, but the kit should come with those.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
    yea i plan on just putting the ford keys like you said.. my cousin found some for like 28 bucks a piece. Were going to be doing the same thing. And another thing i prefer doing the torsion key lift is because about only 2% of my driving is off road (camp, pulling people out holes, etc..) but its mainly a street truck so i wouldnt think id have to worry about breaking cv joints. Now about the level, im assuming all factory Z's have blocks in the back like mine have. Should i get stackable blocks or just get rid of the factory and put one peice? I wouldnt think it matters but again im not familiar with the whole lift buisness. But lets say i do get the factory f150 keys.. How much should it lift my front end up if i crank the key at max?

305/75/17??? without a lift??? i think you should double check. i needed a 3" body lift to fit my tires, and they just fit. i also cranked the front. no rub at all? even at full lock? it sounds to me theres a body lift on that truck. easy way to check is there shouldnt be a gap between the bed and the frame above the rear tire, and if you have a hitch, are there spacers between the bumper and the hitch?

also, yes the ride is rougher when you crank the front. i cranked just enough at about 25-30k miles (i now have 73k on it) and i havent had any problems with it. there is less down travel, as there should be, but nothing destructive or unliveable. well, i sholdnt say no problems, i had a front shock wear out (ive been running oversize tires for close to 50k miles now) and a pinion seal leak last month (everything covered under warranty- but that depends on the dealer, and mines a third party warranty)- but nothing disastrous. i really dont think you need new shocks if all your doing is cranking the front end. i havent, and i did it almost 2 inches from stock.

btw....
    Last edited by chakis24; 01-28-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

Walking
    Thanks

Yes, Im sure they have no body lift on my truck what so ever. Just torsion bars were cranked almost at max.. And also, yes some 305's are also on my truck. And they have no trimmings on my bumper or anywhere else to make my tires doable.

Thanks

I have a buddy that has 305s with only the keys.
    Find me at: Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter at: Hidden Content

Thanks

If you do a set of keys with a good set of shocks such as Bilstein 5100's, you will have a great ride!

Thanks
    SoCal1

Walking
    Thanks

i have a 1990 chevy K1500 im putting a 3" lift with tortion keys. well i cant get the old ones off and i was wondering how much lift i can get out of my factory keys if i just crank the bolt. i can deal with 2 1/2" but idk how far they will lift it

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information