Onstar Battery Backup Failure

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Onstar Battery Backup Failure

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe

Onstar Battery Backup Failure

I own a '09 G8 GT. My red light goes on and off on my Onstar and an Onstar rep told me my backup battery is failing. Has anyone ever changed the battery themselves or is this something only the dealer can do? I see my onstar unit is located in the truck under the decklid. With the closings of dealerships, the trips there get longer and longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Onstar Battery Backup Failure

The only way I have ever seen an Onstar battery damaged is from improper jump starting.Your dealer should be able to replace under warranty though.
    GM World Class Certified
    ASE Master Tech
    ASE Truck Tech
    ASE Service Consultant
    ASE Advance Engine Performance L1
    GM MOE 2005 Gold
    Gm MOE 2006 Gold

Thanks

back up batterys will discharge if you disconnect the battery with the key ON. the system sees a lose of battery power, than thinks its been involved in a crash. never disconnect battery with key on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by chevboytommi View Post
    back up batterys will discharge if you disconnect the battery with the key ON. the system sees a lose of battery power, than thinks its been involved in a crash. never disconnect battery with key on.
    This is a brand new car with 15 miles on the odometer when I picked it up.
    I have noticed though when I drive around a bit, the light changes to green.
    Maybe the car has been sitting on the lot for awhile and the backup battery needs to charge up?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mot76 View Post
    This is a brand new car with 15 miles on the odometer when I picked it up.
    I have noticed though when I drive around a bit, the light changes to green.
    Maybe the car has been sitting on the lot for awhile and the backup battery needs to charge up?
    Just bring it in to the dealer.The battery is not gonna just charge up.
    GM World Class Certified
    ASE Master Tech
    ASE Truck Tech
    ASE Service Consultant
    ASE Advance Engine Performance L1
    GM MOE 2005 Gold
    Gm MOE 2006 Gold

GMI Contributor Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

The back up battery is inthe VCIM, onstar module. The only one I had was a Torrent, and we swapped it out and all is good.

Oooh, lookie here:

Subject: OnStar® Back-up Battery Failure

Models: 2006 - 2009 Chevrolet Impala

2006 - 2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2007 - 2009 Chevrolet Equinox

2007 - 2009 Pontiac Torrent

2009 Chevrolet Aveo

2009 Pontiac G3, G8, Wave

2009 Saturn Astra, VUE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update models. Please discard PIC4541B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Dealers may comment that they are recording DTCs B1446 or B1447 for OnStar® back-up battery failure in the VCIM. The OnStar® status LED will be illuminated red.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver's door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power.

Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is ON or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. This action is per design as the BUB is designed to provide power to the VCIM so an emergency notification call can be made after a vehicle collision where the main battery is disabled.

Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced. Follow the instructions in eSI for Communication Interface Module Battery Replacement.

Important: Do not remove power from the OnStar® VCIM with the key on or with RAP activated.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

My GT had the same problem. It was fixed in about an hour. They have to replace the battery. It seems like it's a common problem, or so says my dealer. They figured mine was dead due to how long it sat at Scotiabank Place on display.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information