Having Major Problems with Alero

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Having Major Problems with Alero

Thanks

Having Major Problems with Alero

I've been having a cranking problem with my 2003 alero my local dependeble mechanic was even defeated and gave up from this problem. He ended up sending it to the chevy dealership and they too have been stumped for 2 weeks now. They seem to get it working for a day and then overnight it wont crank, they have tried everything possible. The next step i guess is to send it to GM theyselves.
    Any answers, would really appreaciate

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Having Major Problems with Alero

Security light come on much?

Thanks

when ever you turn the ignition it wont crank, you still can turn to acc mode and the lights and radio come on but thats it, and i don't know about the security light i've just tried to be patience and let the mechanics do their job

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

First thing that comes to mind is to test the starter.
    1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
    210,725 km
    130,938 miles

GMI Contributor Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

HAAA the starter!!! I heard a comedy routine the other day, the comic said his car wouldnt start, so he had it towed in. He said they had it for 4 days, then called him and said,, well, its the starter. He continues "Really, the starter, how about that" You know, if I told you my car wouldnt move, and there was a part called a mover, I woulda thought that would be a the start of the things to check" I was dying. Sad thing is, people have no idea what goes on in a shop and how frustrating working on cars can be.

There is a million different possibilities, but most commonly for me is an ignition switch if there is no security light. Not to be confused with the ignition cylinder, which is what you put the key into. If the security light is on or flashing, typically it will crank over and start, then die right away from lack of fuel. The security system disables the injectors on that car.

With that said, there has to be more to this problem than what we have been told. If the car is not starting while in the shop, it should not take long to figure out why. Starter getting power when cranked? yes, starter. Starter getting power, no, check relay, check crank signal from ignition switch, check to see if pcm is sending starter signal to relay, and on and on until its all checked. If it is intermittantly not starting that changes everything.
    Last edited by shadams; 06-18-2009 at 02:28 PM.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information