2000 Imapala Torque Converter

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2000 Imapala Torque Converter

Thanks

2000 Imapala Torque Converter

[SIZE=7]Please help. I’ll try to keep this as short as possible.

I own a 2000 Chev. Impala with 90,000 miles. Has never given me any problems. A few weeks back, the check engine light came on. Took it into Autozone and a diagnostic check showed a code of P0742. TCC Solenoid Stuck On.

This was not a hard failure as the trouble came and went as you drove. There was never any feeling that that the car wanted to continue on, upon stopping. It never while stopping or slowing down. After a few starts, the light would reset, go off and remain that way for anywhere from a few miles to several hundred miles before coming back on again. After a few starts it would reset again.

While the CE “check engine” light was ON, the vehicle would have a bad sluggish feel at times.

Had one of several mechanics I spoke with, drop the pan and check in the transmission. Pan was clean with no shavings however the fluid was dirty so, had him change the fluid, as well as the filter. He recommended adding an Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant made by “lubegard”, which was done at that time.

Since that time, the vehicle has been driven several hundred miles and the light has not come back on however, a part of the same problem has returned. I have noticed that when reaching speeds above 45-50 MPH, the vehicle feels very sluggish and as though it needs a tune up. When you take your foot off the gas and then give it gas again, it corrects itself, accelerates fine, sometimes and sometimes not. The transmission goes through all gears without any problems or noises so, I don’t think it’s a slippage problem. Slows down and comes to a stop fine. No feeling as though it wants to “lurch” forward and no stalling. Idles just fine when stopped.

Does this sound like it could be a tune up or fuel injection problem that’s just shown up or if it’s a TCC or solenoid problem, wouldn’t the CE light come back on? I know the lights not burned out because it lights during the start up check. The only bad TCC symptoms that have shown up, according to what I have read or been told, is a poor performance problem. Nothing else is showing up to indicate a bad TCC, unless someone can think of something else to look for or test for a bad TCC.

Any ideas or help would be very appreciated
    Thanks![/SIZE]
    Last edited by adbaker1; 12-13-2004 at 02:47 PM. Reason: change size

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2000 Imapala Torque Converter

GMC Sonoma, thanks for the responses. This thing has really got me stumped.

Another question I would like to ask you or anyone else that may know, with this transmission, if the Torque Converter is bad, does the CE light come on? I know it comes on if something is wrong with the solenoid however, that’s an electrical part. Would it still come on if a mechanical part, such as the Torque Converter, went bad or was going bad?

Also, what kind of cost, best estimate, am I looking at for replacing these solenoids? In the area I live, good mechanics are few and far between. I’ve had it to one Chev. dealership and they suggested the TCC PWM may be the cause also and when I ask about the cost, they estimated an all day job at 65.00 an hour just for labor, not including parts. A huge bite out of the pocket, if you know what I mean.

How difficult a job is it to replace the parts you mentioned and do you know of any sites that may have a diagram of the tranny showing the location of these parts? Do you need a lift to do this or will jack stands work?

Thanks

Thanks

Flush the trans and replace the TCC solenoid. It will all go away. I've seen this many times.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes it points to the TCC solenoid. SES light and 45-50mph sluggish.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by jd4548
    Flush the trans and replace the TCC solenoid. It will all go away. I've seen this many times.
    Follow this advice and you will be good to go.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information