Zete's Volt at Year Two!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zete's Volt at Year Two!

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Zete's Volt at Year Two!

So, two years have now passed. The reason I know this is that OnStar sent me a note telling me the Volt needed an oil change by its second anniversary as none had been done prior to this.

The car now sits at nearly 35,000km and a lifetime average of 1.3l/100km (181mpg).

We've also had our first scheduled maintenance, that aforementioned oil change. That ran us about $100. I also had a minor alignment, fixed the air dam my wife ripped off by going over a high curb, had the 2 year maintenance checks recommended by GM which in total cost another $300. So, after 2 years our first maintenance cost us $400 taxes in, including fixing the busted air dam which was $175; in reality, maintenance cost us $225.

Our old Cruze cost us about $200/year in oil changes or $400 during the same period. Since the Volt needed but one that means we saved $300 there, or nearly what we spend in electricity and fuel per year to drive the Volt more than 17,000km. Or, to put it another way, we effectively drive every other year free just on the oil change cost savings vs. the Cruze.

Some statistics for those keeping track:

• 28,744km electric
    • 5,792km gas
    • 83% electric
    • 2 full years, which means 2 full Ottawa winters and 2 hot and humid Ottawa summers

The savings in fuel vs. our Cruze, which has been driven nearly an identical number of kilometres, is about $2400/year. Considering that we intend to keep the Volt for a long time we should continue to see those savings year over year. Compared to the Enclave we traded in for the Volt our fuel savings are about $4000/year. And we've only been desirous of the space in the Enclave a couple of times, but have resolved that need by renting an Enclave each time: easily a much more financially sound decision .

For those who love pretty pictures, here are the one year stats from OnStar for the car as graphs.

VoltOnStarStats.png

I'm not going to go into anything I covered in my prior updates -- you can look them up via search if you're curious. Overall we are exceedingly happy with the car.

I still get asked about the car all the time. A lot of people have been gulled by the idiots in the media. One person even asked me if it was true the car didn't work in winter. I said that, yes, it does work perfectly fine in winter and that we've driven it 2 winters and it's the best FWD car we've ever driven and I'd argue better than most AWD cars we've driven for winter driving. Stopping at a gas station does raise some eyebrows now and again, but with more and more of these vehicles on the road the arched brows are fewer each time. I know a couple of friends who have a Volt tagged as their next car. The generator provides those friends with the peace of mind to know they can commute cheaply every day via electricity and then, for longer trips, know the gas generator will get them wherever they want to go.

One interesting point is that GM dropped the price of a Volt to about $30k after the provincial rebate here in Ontario. When you consider a fully loaded Cruze, Corolla or Civic runs about $27k the math turns in the Volt's favour very quickly. Here is what someone today would see based on our fuel costs on our Cruze LTZ vs. our Volt assuming 17,000km/year and the way we tend to drive.

Cruze Volt
    Car cost $27000 $30000
    Annual Fuel cost: $3000 $450
    Cost Year 1: $30000 $30450
    Cost Year 2: $33000 $30900
    Cost Year 3: $36000 $31150
    Cost Year 4: $39000 $31500
    Cost Year 5: $42000 $31850

That doesn't include maintenance which for oil changes alone would cost us $200/year for the Cruze and $100 every two years for the Volt. Or, put another way, $400 in oil changes for the Cruze for every $100 in oil for the Volt meaning the savings in oil changes is nearly a year of free driving since we're running about $450/year in gas+electricity costs to go 17,000km/year in our Volt. And that's simply impressive.

There are a few questions I know folks will ask and I'll happily answer them in this thread. The one other question I get asked regularly is: When's the last time you filled the Volt. And, to be honest, I don't remember. I think it was June. Maybe May. Before that I know it was March. Now that the colder weather is coming we'll be back to every 4-6 weeks in December, unless the chill holds off until January. But we can't really complain about a cost-per-month in "fuel" of $40, about $900 for the two years, to go nearly 35,000km.

Ultimately the only question that matters is: Would you buy one again? Yes. In a heartbeat. It's a fantastic car. We have and are thoroughly enjoying it. I do wish it was a tad bigger. I still think it should have been on Epsilon II. If it were on EpII it would have been perfect, in my opinion. A CUV can't come fast enough and as the years go buy GM will surely sell more and more and more Voltec equipped cars.

Do we ever think a car will pull us out of the Volt? Maybe an EpII CUV-based Voltec car might. A pure electric won't simply because those have too many compromises. I don't want to think about whether I can get up north to visit friends and family or head into a national park and enjoy Canada's natural bounties. But a Voltec equipped car eliminates any compromise. I can do 83% of my driving on electric per year and when I need to know I can get to Val d'Or or Algonquin Park or Quebec City or Gaspe or TO or anywhere else in Canada without having to do any more planning than taking the existing highways and byways.

BTW, one thing I truly enjoy is just turning off the stereo and not having any noise while driving. After a hard day it's a restful way to commute home.
    Last edited by zete; 10-16-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,007 Times in 4,304 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Zete's Volt at Year Two!

Kewl, Zete. Appreciate the update and your cartalk regarding your Volt.

I'm glad it's turning out to be a good experience. I've seen one around here so far. But then I just saw my first new Impala in the wild a couple of days ago.

Looks like the numbers are adding up nicely for you. And one of these days I'd like to experience a whisper-quiet electric ride.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Trek 7.5FX

The car now sits at nearly 35,000km and a lifetime average of 1.3l/100km (181mpg).
    LOL, that's great!

A lot of people have been gulled by the idiots in the media.
    Sigh, that's a shame.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rand49er's Avatar
    Thanks

Need more followups like this in the car mags.

Nice to hear. Thanks.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,371 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Glad you're liking it!
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Just reg stuff in the Garage

It's great to hear zete, you've got a keeper. Owning a Volt says a lot about a person.

married to 'Poolside', you find me doing pool maint a lot. One of these years we're going to take August *Off*. maybe.

Thanks

How much do you pay per kW-hr, zete?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,483 Times in 2,543 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Sweet update! I can't believe it's been two years.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Thanks for the update Zete, I really enjoy reading them. As its more proof that this car is just amazing. I'm starting to see more of them on the road here in Toronto, but not as much as I would like to see. This year when I was shopping for a new car I had went to look at an Equinox and I was also asking to test drive a Volt, unfortunetely they had 3 on the lot earlier that month and they had just sold them when the promotion they were running came out. I don't think I would have bought one because of the size, as we also drove and Cruze and Verano and they were both too small for our needs, but I would have really liked to drive one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prowlerjc View Post
    How much do you pay per kW-hr, zete?
    I mentioned the rates in another thread but the rates here in Ottawa are between 6.7 cents and 12.4 cents plus delivery and taxes, which adds about 3 cents. It works out to be about 10 cents per kWh off peak since we most always charge off peak evenings. Since it takes about 10-12kW to charge up a Volt from empty, that works out to be about $1.00 - $1.20.

In terms of how many kWhs we use per month has varied from 213 to 362 in the past 12 months with an average of 281. Doing a bit of arithmetic you see that results in a monthly cost from $21 - $36, assuming off peak charging costs. Our monthly average is about $28 based on OnStar's charging numbers.

I just redid the calculations and realized I made a mistake in my yearly cost. It's $450 not $350, I forgot to sum the gas and electrical costs together (oops ). I've corrected the original post to reflect that. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
    Last edited by zete; 10-16-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by majicbz07 View Post
    Thanks for the update Zete, I really enjoy reading them. As its more proof that this car is just amazing. I'm starting to see more of them on the road here in Toronto, but not as much as I would like to see. This year when I was shopping for a new car I had went to look at an Equinox and I was also asking to test drive a Volt, unfortunetely they had 3 on the lot earlier that month and they had just sold them when the promotion they were running came out. I don't think I would have bought one because of the size, as we also drove and Cruze and Verano and they were both too small for our needs, but I would have really liked to drive one.
    There are more and more here in Ottawa. The other week I had one in front of me and one behind me at a light. We were all looking at each other as its not that common an occurrence. My dealer says they sell a few a month. But I've heard Canada is limited in how many they get, which is utterly weird. You'd think GM would push these big time up here where the savings are more substantial courtesy of the higher price we pay for gas. And now, with the $5k reduction plus the $8300 in Ontario credits the base Volt is under $30k and I'd think it would simply fly off lots.

As I said, we're totally happy with the car. My wife even joked the other day that the last time she filled it was March and she had to call OnStar to ask how to fuel it as she'd forgotten. She forgot she had to push the fuel button to decompress the tank prior to fueling. OnStar said it was a common occurrence. Funny, that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    I mentioned the rates in another thread but the rates here in Ottawa are between 6.7 cents and 12.4 cents plus delivery and taxes, which adds about 3 cents. It works out to be about 10 cents per kWh off peak since we most always charge off peak evenings. Since it takes about 10-12kW to charge up a Volt from empty, that works out to be about $1.00 - $1.20.

In terms of how many kWhs we use per month has varied from 213 to 362 in the past 12 months with an average of 281. Doing a bit of arithmetic you see that results in a monthly cost from $21 - $36, assuming off peak charging costs. Our monthly average is about $28 based on OnStar's charging numbers.
    Thanks for the numbers. I'm at 14 cents summer, 13 winter, basically. Numbers still look good.

Thanks for the update. I'm still looking at maybe getting one used in a few years. I kind of like the ability to choose my power source based on conditions.

They are rare as hen's teeth down here, but kinda to be expected in the reddest of red states. I'm sorry the Volt seems to be a victim of political winds.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Have you had any drop in battery range?

Thanks

Very cool! Thanks so much for sharing this!
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,202 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Nice write-up! IF they could make a pick-up truck that uses Voltec I'd be one happy camper.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast