Zete's Volt at One Year! - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zete's Volt at One Year!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Re: Zete's Volt at One Year!

Due to low use your engine needs to run for 10 minutes to perform engine maintenance read NO display in ANY Prius EVER!
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Trek 7.5FX

Thanks for the update! Those numbers are astounding considering you don't even really try

Thanks

Zete-regarding the rotary as a range extender:

The rotary is a heat monster and would require a larger radiator for the same hp produced. that would increase airflow requirements, and thus, wind resistance. Not to mention other rotary related issues, but cooling requirements are a big one.

A better choice, and one GM toyed with on some EV-1 prototypes, would be a small gas turbine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voltastic View Post
    Thanks for the update! Those numbers are astounding considering you don't even really try
    It takes too much effort to try -- as I said, I'm rather lazy in some respects . The purpose of a car should be to deliver on promises without you having to do a bunch of unnatural things. The Volt delivers in that regard easily. One of my biggest worries when we got it was that I'd get nowhere near the indicated range and yet we easily get it, regardless of driving style. A true testimony to GM's engineering of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by prowlerjc View Post
    Zete-regarding the rotary as a range extender:

The rotary is a heat monster and would require a larger radiator for the same hp produced. that would increase airflow requirements, and thus, wind resistance. Not to mention other rotary related issues, but cooling requirements are a big one.

A better choice, and one GM toyed with on some EV-1 prototypes, would be a small gas turbine.
    A turbine. Good point. Whatever happened to turbines for cars. I remember there was a lot of discussion back in the 60s and then, nothing.

It'd also sound cool!
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    Whatever happened to turbines for cars. I remember there was a lot of discussion back in the 60s and then, nothing.
    High cost with relatively few benefits, at the time.

Times have changed, and the economic/benefits equations are probably being revisited.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Fantastic numbers and thanks for the write up! The only one I don't understand is this:

Electric power rating (kW/100km): 30 - 35kW/100km Winter / 19-21kW/100km Summer
    Are you really talking about kWh here (energy)? It doesn't make much sense to talk about power/distance unless I'm missing something.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

Great write-up, guy! Congrats on the year of ownership.
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald McChevy View Post
    Fantastic numbers and thanks for the write up! The only one I don't understand is this:

Are you really talking about kWh here (energy)? It doesn't make much sense to talk about power/distance unless I'm missing something.
    Whoops. It should read this way:

Electric power rating (kW-hr/100km): 30 - 35kW-hr/100km Winter / 19-21kW-hr/100km Summer

And that's the way OnStar provides electric consumption. How many kW-hrs you require to go 100kms. It makes sense when you realize it takes 12kW to charge up the Volt and Hydro calculates consumption in kilowatt hours (for us it ranges from 6.5 cents - 11.7 cents, depending on time of day, excluding taxes, etc).

In other words, were I to drive 100km in the summer I'd have to fill the Volt just shy of two times for a total consumption of 20kWh-hr (avg) and that would cost me between $1.20 and $2.34, excluding taxes, etc. depending on time of day.

If you do a bit of arithmetic you see it costs 2kWh-hr/10km or 12kW-hr to charge the Volt to 60km of range in summer -- what we typically get with my driving style. That 12kW-hrs gives you 10.5kW of charge in the Volt to go those 60 or so kms.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer. I'm no expert in this regard, but it makes sense to know how many kW-hrs you need to go X distance and 100km is a nice easy number to work with since kW-hrs is what the utility is charging you.
    Last edited by zete; 10-22-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ChallengeMe's Avatar
    Thanks

I just have one question; this would be fatal to a Leaf owner, but just an inconvenience to a Volt owner:

How many times did you get ready to go to work in the morning and find out you forgot to plug in your Volt?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChallengeMe View Post
    I just have one question; this would be fatal to a Leaf owner, but just an inconvenience to a Volt owner:

How many times did you get ready to go to work in the morning and find out you forgot to plug in your Volt?
    Me? Never. But the kids forgot once. A bit annoying, but such is life. And my wife once thought she plugged it in but didn't push the plug home so it was in a bit, enough to hold fast, but not enough to engage the charger. Again, such is life.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Rotaries are not only very inefficient but they by nature have very high oil consumption, and are not conducive to the start / stop cycles that a normal ICE has no issues with.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 525 Posts
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Terrible write-up...now I want an ELR even more, thank you!!! Too bad it will be a bit out of my price range.
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Dave B's Avatar
    Thanks

Zete.......great write-up. Thanks.

Tonight I will have more time to read through the entire thread - so I'm now subscribed.
    ------------------------------
    07 Impala 3.5L VVT ..ONSTAR ROCKS... (GF's car)
    99 Cutlass 3.1L
    94 GMC Jimmy
    Many GM Vehicles Over The Years
    Some MOPAR stuff with Mods...Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Zete.......great write-up. Thanks.

Tonight I will have more time to read through the entire thread - so I'm now subscribed.
    It's a short thread, shouldn't take you long. There are the previous posts that a bit of searching on Zete and Volt will get you.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    Whoops. It should read this way...
    That's what I figured. Sorry, just the anal-retentive engineer side of me coming out.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information