Zete's 10,000 mile/16,000 km Volt Update

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zete's 10,000 mile/16,000 km Volt Update

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Zete's 10,000 mile/16,000 km Volt Update

Well, we've nearly hit another milestone: 10,000 miles or 16,000 kilometres; we'll hit it this weekend but I figured I might as well update things now as we're only a couple of hundred clicks off. Plus, I plan on enjoying the weekend doing other stuff than spending inordinate amounts of time online .

As I promised in my prior posts here is the latest update on the Volt and how its fared. Note that the next update will be on the one year anniversary of the car, which will provide data on a full year of driving through a brutally cold Ottawa winter followed by what has been an unbelievably hot and dry summer which has resulted in probably a worst case year of driving for any car. I know some folks have been very curious about what type of "fuel economy" we'd see across a year, but the curious should already notice that we're getting excellent economy, even when lead-footed old me is driving. Obviously I'd love to see other reports from owners of other electric or electric-based cars so we can do a comparison.

First, some stats.

• Electric kms: 13,131 (8,159 miles)
    • Gas kms: 2,659 (1,647 miles)
    • Total kms: 15,789 (9, 810 miles)
    • Percentage electric: 83%
    • Fuel economy: 1.3l/100km (181mpg)
    • Best electric range: 75km (46.6 miles)
    • Best mpg in CS mode: 4.35l/100km (54mpg)
    • Worst mpg in CS mode: 8.04l/100km (29mpg) (probably me )
    • Average in CS mode: 6l/100km (39mpg)

For those interested in kWh/100km, the rate during the warmer months has stayed pretty consistently around 19 -21kW/h/100km. The winter months were 30 - 34kWh/100km. So you can see the effect the cold weather has. However, the brutally hot summer has had no effect.

For those wondering about how much fuel we've used for these nearly 10,000 miles/16,000kms it works out to be 205 litres (about 54 US gallons).

I really don't have much to add from my prior posts. The car continues to perform flawlessly. It's a sheer joy to drive. It exceeded our expectations during the winter and in the summer, even under the brutal heat wave we had here in Ottawa, the car delivered more than 60km of range per charge even though we drove it with the climate control set to Comfort mode. We regularly hit nearly 70km to a charge, even me who tends to drive aggressively all the time.

The car has no rattles, squeaks, creaks or other annoyances. It remains rock solid in terms of being bolted together. It also remains the go-to car for everyone in the house and is requested as the car to pick up friends in as they also remain enchanted with the vehicle.

It's remains odd to simply drive past the gas station for months on end. It's rather weird when you finally have to go for a fill up. It takes a few moments to remember how to refuel the Volt and then, after only 30 litres (about 9 gallons) the pump clicks off -- you feel like you're cheating by not having to dump 70 - 100 litres into the tank! Because the tank is small and the visits infrequent I couldn't care less what the price of gas is. At an average of 20 litres per month so far that's only about $25-30 or so of fuel per month! Whenever I drive a non-Voltec car I regret having to stop at the gas station weekly just so I can drive around.

We have not upgraded to a 240 plug since we seem to be getting along fine with just the regular wall outlet. I'm sure we could have cut 50 litres or so out of the fuel we used in the past 10 months, but that's but a minor issue. We have never plugged in anywhere but home, actually. Which means all the driving we've done has been as we would normally do during the course of a month, winter, summer, what have you. So, you're seeing results from someone who plugs it in in the evening and drives it in the morning to work most days. And it includes some trips to cottages, Montreal, etc. In other words, as a commuter car it works perfectly. As a long distance driver, it works perfectly well, too.

Would we buy another? In a heartbeat. It's probably the best car we've ever owned and one of the most satisfying vehicles I've ever driven.

What am I most waiting for? The Cadillac ELR. I am really curious to see what GM has done with Voltec in a Cadillac configuration.

What would I change in the Volt? I'd love more power to the wheels. I'd also love more interior space -- GM should have built the Volt on Epsilon and not Delta. I'm hoping there will be an Epsilon variant when the next generation is built. Of course, if I had my druthers I'd hope for an AWD Voltec equipped Alpha sports coupe. A man can dream. And the Volt should have a proper cargo cover, instead of the stretchy fabric one that comes with the Volt. You'd think GM would have had one by now or at least some aftermarket firm would be selling one. Sigh.

For those wanting to read my past missives and are having trouble searching for them, here are links to each of them.

Next missive will be in October when the car hits its first anniversary. At that point we should hit near 20,000kms (12,500 miles). It will have been driven through an Ottawa winter and an Ottawa summer, both of which were quite intense.

"Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Re: Zete's 10,000 mile/16,000 km Volt Update

Wonderful update - thank you - very much.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 3,978 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Did you drive it in the snow? How did it handle? All over the place or in control?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

Thanks for the update Zete. I envy your vehicle. I'm hoping that by the end of next year, I will have my own to gush over!
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Did you drive it in the snow? How did it handle? All over the place or in control?
    Yup, drove it through an Ottawa winter all winter long. If you read the prior posts you can get updates on how the car handled the winter overall. The summary is that it had no problems at all. You do get less electric range in the really frigid weather, but that's to be expected. The most interesting point is that compared to other FWD cars I've driven in the snow the Volt pulls through the snow much much better, almost as well as an AWD car. I believe it's because it the electric motors allowing for finer traction control, you don't even feel the traction control kicking in most times it's so smooth.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    Thanks for the update Zete. I envy your vehicle. I'm hoping that by the end of next year, I will have my own to gush over!
    We simply love the car. The fact it has the generator is a godsend since the kids inevitably take it for long trips on the weekends and a pure EV would be utterly impractical.

When you get yours you'll be surprised at just how much you like it. Usually after a few months the novelty wears off. It still hasn't with the Volt. It's just that cool. I still feel the best explanation is that it's like driving the future, and how can that wear off.

And man is the car well built. You can see, hear and feel how well built and how well thought out the car is each time you drive it. To get it that right the first time still utterly amazes me. They could have cheaped out in so many ways and didn't. And the more people who experience a Volt the more people will want one. It truly is one of those cars you have to drive to believe.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

I'm pretty sure I say this everytime you give us an update, but you really make me want to get a Volt. If I didn't happen to be a broke college student, I would definitely be looking for a Volt.
    I'm glad you are having such a good experience with the Volt, and I hope you continue to.

P.S. Maybe you should look into getting your own "Happy Volt Owner" commercial, but a family version.
    Hidden Content
    Present Ride: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS: 80,000 Miles

Past Rides:
    2002 Buick Park Avenue: 224,600 Miles
    1996 Buick Riviera: 188,800 Miles
    1995 Pontiac Trans Sport: 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 12-6-2017

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Thank you very much for your update on mileage and insights on ownership. I've driven the volt on several occassions and I too am impressed. Interestingly enough I look forward to the release of the Cadillac ELR as well.

Keep updating us and thank you for your insights.

JB

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Thank you for weighing in with objective, and quality commentary. This is the first car of it's kind that I have found amazingly compelling.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I know a lot of people are curious so I'll keep this up. And if anyone has questions, ask away.

Quote Originally Posted by 96RIV View Post
    I'm pretty sure I say this everytime you give us an update, but you really make me want to get a Volt. If I didn't happen to be a broke college student, I would definitely be looking for a Volt.
    I'm glad you are having such a good experience with the Volt, and I hope you continue to.

P.S. Maybe you should look into getting your own "Happy Volt Owner" commercial, but a family version.
    Oh, I'd love to do one so long as payment was made in a nice, shiny black ELR, fully loaded of course .

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

It's GREAT that that you are please with your VOLT!

And ... GREAT for GM as well.
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

At 83% electric usage the Volt seems to have the right battery size for your family.. do you think GM should shrink the battery a bit to lower the cost?, or increase it?.. or did they hit it square on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HermPerez View Post
    At 83% electric usage the Volt seems to have the right battery size for your family.. do you think GM should shrink the battery a bit to lower the cost?, or increase it?.. or did they hit it square on?
    For us they hit it square, we can't complain. We figured 80 - 90% electric and that's where we are. If we could charge at work in the winter we'd be getting closer to 90%.

I don't have a problem if they'd release a Volt-20 to go with the current Volt (Volt-40?). But I think just waiting a year or so for denser batteries will resolve the problem as GM will be able to put denser batteries in the Volt and get the same range with fewer cells, or up the cells and provide a vehicle that goes 60 - 100 miles on a charge.

But what I think they should do is have Voltec in Epsilon II so they have a larger car. Seeing that the pack won't add that much weight to the Epsilon platform GM (considering all the pieces you get to toss courtesy of Voltec) they'd have a larger Voltec-equipped car that goes 40 miles. That would be a better bet and a way of blending the costs versus the smaller Volt. I'd also like to see a CUV.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    But what I think they should do is have Voltec in Epsilon II so they have a larger car. Seeing that the pack won't add that much weight to the Epsilon platform GM (considering all the pieces you get to toss courtesy of Voltec) they'd have a larger Voltec-equipped car that goes 40 miles. That would be a better bet and a way of blending the costs versus the smaller Volt. I'd also like to see a CUV.
    Girlfriend said this after reading your mileage write up "If they made a CUV Volt, I would buy one when my truck is paid off." She drives a Durango, and actually does not like "green" vehicles, but she said the Volt seems too good to be true. She doesn't quite like the looks of the MPV5, but I think its the color that she doesn't like.
    Hidden Content
    Present Ride: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS: 80,000 Miles

Past Rides:
    2002 Buick Park Avenue: 224,600 Miles
    1996 Buick Riviera: 188,800 Miles
    1995 Pontiac Trans Sport: 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 12-6-2017

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96RIV View Post
    Girlfriend said this after reading your mileage write up "If they made a CUV Volt, I would buy one when my truck is paid off." She drives a Durango, and actually does not like "green" vehicles, but she said the Volt seems too good to be true. She doesn't quite like the looks of the MPV5, but I think its the color that she doesn't like.
    I'm hoping the rumoured Buick Electra is actually the CUV. Done right it would be a very nice premium CUV and would probably win a lot of converts to Voltec.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information