Waiter, there's a Ram in my driveway

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waiter, there's a Ram in my driveway

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,424 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Waiter, there's a Ram in my driveway

Get some popcorn & refreshments, I've got a story to tell.

Per some members' requests, here is my introduction for the 2019 Ram 1500 I bought on Monday. It was a dark & stormy night...wait a minute, wrong story. Over the last few months, my '02 Sierra Z71 was getting a bit irritable. It overheated on New Year's Day when it was 0 damn degrees F. I replaced practically everything (water pump after thermostat, upper & lower radiator hoses, & radiator cap), but a few weeks ago on a 90+ degree day, the temp crept up to an uncomfortable level. But the red flag went up 2 weeks ago when the oil level light went on...3 weeks after it did the last time. Usually, that light flashes on after 2K miles. But I didn't put 2K miles on it in 3 weeks. That was a pivotal moment when you ask, "Where do I go from here"? Do you go with another pre-owned or new? If used, how low mileage do you find acceptable? If new, what are my needs or wants? I looked at cars, and their major benefit was just fuel mileage. So, back to trucks. I was tired of having a wrenching party every weekend, so new it would be. The 2019 GM twins were just now getting to the dealers, so there will be no deals anytime soon. The 2018 GMs I liked, but I wanted my purchase to look like the newest ones out there. So, we arrive at Ram. No room in the budget for a 12" screen, so I looked for a Laramie trim (mid-level). I found many with a great list of features & the $40K ballpark was do-able. I knew from my last year that I don't use 4WD enough to have it again, so we might save some coin on a RWD model. I found a good price on a Laramie 2wd in Nashville & went to look at it (after stopping off to look at an overpriced one). When I got there, we went through the formalities & got to the test drive & I see the odometer has over 4500 miles on it. Maybe a demo, but that price isn't looking as good as it did. Fast forward to the credit check & I am informed that my last auto loan (paid off 2 years ago) didn't show up. So, the dealer tried to offer me other options. One was a different 2019 Ram. For the sake of getting a new truck with a warranty, I chose the cheapest one on the lot. Yes, you read that right. But, the next thing they try to offer is a 2017 Ram Quad cab. It is instantly out of contention for not being a crew cab. So, it looks like the "stripper" might happen. And, it did. I didn't even test drive it since it should drive the same as the Laramie. So, without further ado, here come the pictures, because no one reads GMI for the articles.

And this answers the question, what do the tail lights look like if you don't get the LEDs?

And the interior:

Hey look, rear seat heat/air vents.

The Ram bins.

All 4 doors have door pockets for their door pockets (look under the window switches). Storage for days.

So, how about that dash? Hmmm...I don't see any leather here.

That thang got a Hemi? Yep. Perks of being a truck built early in the first year. No eTorque.

Any party tricks? I think so. I don't know how many other rear camera systems will allow you to look behind you while in forward motion, but the Ram does.

The option to set the electronic parking brake automatically when you put the truck in park? That's pretty cool to me. Again, I don't know if any other vehicles with electric parking brakes do it.

OK, so we've seen the pictures, how does it drive? Would you be surprised if I said it rides better than the Z71? Obviously not. And having double the number of gears is very reassuring that the engine won't drop it's crankshaft on the ground. It took GM long enough to move away from 4-speeds. The "base" model radio is miles ahead of 2002 technology, but more importantly, it does many things that bigger head units do. It's surprisingly good for only 6 speakers. And, I don't need album artwork when music is playing on my USB thumb drive, but as you can see, it's there (albeit smaller). Speaking of USB, even the stripper has dual USB and dual USB-C ports. Be aware, each style is paired, so you can't plug all 4 to electronics that can play music. It wanted me to play from my phone when I tested this out even though a thumb drive was in (both plugged into the #1 pair of plugs). You might be able to plug in other electronics (GoPro or other camera, portable Bluetooth speakers, etc.) that need a charge, but I didn't have anything like that handy at the time. And thankfully, I checked the window sticker & saw that a tilt/telescope wheel was standard. Like I said, I didn't test drive the stripper because I wasn't crazy about it after driving the Laramie (heated steering wheel, heated/cooled seats, power sliding rear window, power adjustable pedals, etc.). That telescoping wheel was a little touch that is a big impact. Those first 24 hours trying to drive was nuts since the PDI worker pushed the column all the way toward the dash. I could barely reach the turn signals. "So that's how the T-rex felt", I thought. Well, that's my narrow-minded introduction to the 2019 Ram 1500. I hope you enjoyed it.

Oh, one more thing. At around 3/4 throttle, the exhaust note is actually very muscular. At least from the inside of the truck, I can't say from the outside. And remember, this truck doesn't have the dual exhaust with the swanky notches in the rear bumper.

There you go. Ladies & gentlemen, start your questions & bitching. I'd better go put my flamesuit on now.
    Last edited by NoStopN; 09-05-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-08-2018),CJH (09-06-2018),dannyg (09-06-2018),DequindreToo (09-07-2018),Ed753 (09-07-2018),gkr778 (09-07-2018),impala02 (09-10-2018),knightfan26917 (09-09-2018),lohchief (09-10-2018),Neanderthal (09-06-2018),nota (09-06-2018),Shotgun (09-06-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,721 Times in 3,897 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Waiter, there's a Ram in my driveway

Good luck with it!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,238 Times in 2,436 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

The '19 Ram is awesome. From the real storage in the floorboard to the layout of the dash I love it all. Find you a wrecked truck here soon enough and jack the wheels!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

CJH (09-06-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

No need to wait on a wrecked Ram. I've got some in mind already. The silver style will do quite nicely.

https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/tru...ms-everest.php
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

bballr4567 (09-06-2018),CJH (09-06-2018),knightfan26917 (09-09-2018)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,592 Times in 3,198 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Congratulations on your purchase! I pray for many safe miles. Thank you for posting multiple images. We can all learn from you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

NoStopN (09-06-2018)

Thanks

Wishing you many happy miles!
    2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD High Country
    2019 Buick Regal TourX
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shotgun For This Useful Post:

NoStopN (09-06-2018)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,238 Times in 2,436 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    No need to wait on a wrecked Ram. I've got some in mind already. The silver style will do quite nicely.

You sly dog you.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    You sly dog you.
    I had been looking at the same wheels for the old yellow stepside I had. Then I sold it.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,613 Times in 1,157 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

looks good
    my 14 has the same 5" Uconnect AND I will say having the reverse camera stay on when you go forward is ONE thing I would like - my friends 18 F150 does NOT and a 17 3500 RAM CUmmins I was using also as soon as drive is selected the cam is off and it is annoying when maneuvering in tight spaces / hitching to a trailer ETC VS the WORK 13 SUPERDUTY that it stays on

is the keyless ignition standard or a low cost option on your truck as I now the "base" previous model had a "normal" steel key if you did NOT have remote lock/unlock then you got the "fobic"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 4,017 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Grooviness, NoStopN! So that thang dooz has a hemi? Shazam! Nice pitchers, and it looks like it's got as much interior room as a Soul! Wheee-dawgie! And room enough in back to carry yore see-ment pond supplies!

Nice write-up. All I ask is some cornering information, braking distances, and the Gs pulled for those maneuvers.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    is the keyless ignition standard or a low cost option on your truck as I now the "base" previous model had a "normal" steel key if you did NOT have remote lock/unlock then you got the "fobic"
    The whole truck has practically gone electric. Not just is the parking brake electric (& I use the auto engage function) but the tailgate doesn't have a handle anymore. The area where you would normally pull the latch is just a rubberized button to release it. But to answer the original question, there is no keyhole in the dash. Keyless Go with keyless entry is standard. You still have the spare key built into the fob to unlock the door if the battery goes dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Nice write-up. All I ask is some cornering information, braking distances, and the Gs pulled for those maneuvers.
    I don't have any equipment to test that stuff. And if VS had that stuff, they won't send it to me.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

CJH (09-06-2018),Ed753 (09-07-2018),richmond2000 (09-07-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra/2014/Summit White

Sorry to hear about your 02. Having a newer truck is certainly a nice feeling. You’ll have to keep us updated on the long term. I’m really looking closely at RAM, but still in need of a few more positive experiences from others.
    Daily Driver:
    2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS / Crystal Red Tint
    - 3.6 V6 / 6MT

Wife’s Ride:
    2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk / Jetset Blue
    - 2.4l tigershark / 9AT

Weekend Warrior:
    2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT / Summit White
    - 6.2 Ecotec III / 6 AT
    - Crew Cab / Standard Bed
    - 2 inch coil spacers / Zone AAL / BfGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 / Ranch Sierra Cap

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 4,017 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

The whole truck has practically gone electric. Not just is the parking brake electric (& I use the auto engage function) but the tailgate doesn't have a handle anymore. The area where you would normally pull the latch is just a rubberized button to release it. But to answer the original question, there is no keyhole in the dash. Keyless Go with keyless entry is standard. You still have the spare key built into the fob to unlock the door if the battery goes dead.

I don't have any equipment to test that stuff. And if VS had that stuff, they won't send it to me.
    Just make up some stuff! We'll believe it!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

lohchief (09-10-2018),richmond2000 (09-07-2018)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats, she's pretty!

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 864 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Congrats on the new truck!! Those rims should look good on it!!

Ram make a damn nice truck, even in the lower trim levels.

Keyless locks + start are one of those weird things you don't know you want until you use it and then drive something that doesn't have it, and you go oh crap....
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

377Z (10-14-2018),Ed753 (09-07-2018)