Venture is gone,

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Venture is gone,

Thanks

Venture is gone,

Not quite. Our leased 2004 Chevrolet Venture LS will leave an empty spot as the Family Van next Wednesday. It has been leased for a little over three years, it had replaced a 2001 Dodge Caravan SE. It will be missed, even with its many faults. Some of you may know that me and my family are moving from Connecticut to Alska. The Venture leaving us poses a very big problem. The Venture is going next week, but we are moving in early September. We have a two other operating vehicles. A F-150 and a MCI bus. But the F-150 is gone all day, five days a week. We obviously can't drive a full-size coach around a city. So we are left with very few options for transport for two months. We don't want to have to drive another vehicle from CT to AK, which would not only mean an extra trip but would also mean putting a lot of miles on it (and it is going to be leased as well). We are tight on cash, but the only thing we can do for a good month is rent various cars as we need them. We may try and fix up a very old Volkswagen Beetle, which is in storage at present. However this will take at least a month to complete, if we even decide its worth it.

The Venture is gone, but we do have another vehicle! We need a large van to move our things from coast-to-coast, and it would cost over $15,000 to rent a van and even more then that to ship our stuff. So we went on eBay.com and bought ourselves a used 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with a twenty-six foot long box. Under its big hood is a Cummins turbo diesel, coupled to a five speed manual transmission. About 160,000 miles on the odometer and in excellent condition. Its green with a white box. Two gas tanks, a five passenger bench, a single cup holder and a good old cassette player.

My question to you all is regarding our next leased vehicle. Requirements are eight passenger seating and has to get more then twenty miles to the gallon in the city. Don't care about safety ratings, brand (well, it can't be a Toyota) or anything else really. We have narrowed it down to:
    -Saturn Outlook
    -Honda Odyssey EX-L
    -Honda Pilot

Which out of the above would you choose, and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Venture is gone,

I would skip the Pilot if you place eight-passenger seating as such a priority. The third row of the Pilot doesn't have a whole lot of passenger space, and there isn't a lot of cargo space behind the third row.

The Odyssey and Outlook are both great vehicles. Why would it have to be an Odyssey EX-L? EX cloth models have eight seats (unless something recently changed). IIRC your Venture had cloth...if you want the EX-L for the cylinder deactivation, why not just save the money and put that towards the gas? The child-sized 2nd row center seat of the Odyssey isn't a great seat either. The Outlook's center seat is more similar to that of a regular car's backseat with a flat floor. And, if you think it may be worth it in the Alaska winter, the Outlook does have available AWD.

Any other requirements (options/features, etc.) for the vehicle to maybe help narrow it down some?
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer4x4
    Requirements are eight passenger seating and has to get more then twenty miles to the gallon in the city.
    I don't think none of the 3 choices get 20 mpg in the city. I can't think of any 8-passenger vehicle that gets at least 20 mpg in the city. With that said, I would go with the outlook because it is the best looking of the 3 plus it comes with a 100,000 mile warranty. And yes, Honda's do have problems (just ask my buddy about his Civic).
    Last edited by drew630; 07-29-2007 at 09:56 PM.
    2016 Silverado 2500HD High Country

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

I say go with the Odyssey. If you were the least bit attached to the Venture, you'd love the Odyssey.

Why don't you just purchase the Venture?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by likearock00
    I say go with the Odyssey. If you were the least bit attached to the Venture, you'd love the Odyssey.

Why don't you just purchase the Venture?
    We could buy that Venture, but we prefer leasing. We have been leasing vans for three years since 1995. We don't want to have them too long, when they start wearing out.

You can't get a base model eight passenger Odyssey, if I remember right, you need to get the EX-L.

Thanks

No, both the EX and EX-L come with the PlusOne (as they call it) eighth seat. The Honda Odyssey website says it. (I put a link to a section of it at the end of this post.)

From the Honda site, this is what the Odyssey second row seat is like:

http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey...spx?num=od7-46
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information