UPDATE- I bought a new (to me) 93 K2500

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE- I bought a new (to me) 93 K2500

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 69Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

UPDATE- I bought a new (to me) 93 K2500

It's a 93 K2500 (with 6 lugs) with 177000 miles at a price I couldn't resist. Reason being is that it needs a bunch of work and they (used car dept.) didn't want to put a bunch of money into it.

Main issues are-
    needs a radiator
    t-case needs pulled out to replace front seal
    both doors need the pins and bushings replaced
    transmission doesn't shift quite right (may be the dirty/low fluid)
    RF hub needs replaced
    front axle actuator wires are cut (no idea why)

I figured it would make me a good winter beater and my dad a good hunting rig. He'll split some of the cost with me.

Just the one pic for now of it on my lift at work as I was lookin it over.
    Last edited by 69Chevy; 02-07-2008 at 10:11 PM.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Cobalt SS/SC
    1969 Chevy C/10 383 stroker

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I bought a new (to me) 93 K2500

congrats, those things are tanks and can take a beating. i loved my 96 cheyenne. mine was a 1500 though.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

GMI Contributor Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Main issues are-

needs a radiator - Easy

t-case needs pulled out to replace front seal - easy

both doors need the pins and bushings replaced - so, so, but not the end of the world, just hope the hinge holes arent wallerd(sp?) out

transmission doesn't shift quite right (may be the dirty/low fluid) - eek, trans issues are never cheap or easy, on the other hand, if needed you can get a used one form a salvage yard for a couple hundered bucks.

RF hub needs replaced - easy

front axle actuator wires are cut (no idea why)- eek, possible 4wd issue??

I figured it would make me a good winter beater and my dad a good hunting rig. He'll split some of the cost with me. - Even better!

But I guess you know all that, your a tech arent you? Anyway, projects are sweet, even better when you can work on them with your pops. Good luck, keep us updated.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Thanks shadams, and ya I'm a tech, that's why I bought it. The t-case was way over full so I'm sure the input seal in the t-case has given out and the transmission is pumping fluid into the t-case. I'm hoping that that, coupled with very dark fluid is the main reason behind the transmission not shifting right. It flares when you have your foot in it but it shifts ok under normal use. I haven't really had a chance to drive it very far seeing as how the radiator is leaking, but I have a nearly brand new radiator with a pinhole in it I'm gonna fix and put into it. I have no idea what the deal is with the front axle, we'll find out I guess, probably go over Saturday to work on everything. It has various other smaller issues too, but those will be adressed all in due time. As long as I can get it road worthy I'll be happy.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Cobalt SS/SC

Thanks

Ahh, you must be a farmer at heart! That is the perfect farm truck! I love old beat up Chevys like that! We have a 89 GMC Z71 that is your trucks twin!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorzl1 View Post
    Ahh, you must be a farmer at heart! That is the perfect farm truck! I love old beat up Chevys like that! We have a 89 GMC Z71 that is your trucks twin!
    Not quite a farmer, but definitely all for a cheap reliable ride. And I plan on makin it look better along the way so it doesn't look like quite the farm truck anymore.

I'm plannin on signing the papers and ordering parts tomorrow then going over Saturday to work on it. Might try to work out a deal on some take-off wheels/tires we have from a GMT-900. Maybe I'll post some updates and more pics.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Cobalt SS/SC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy View Post

Main issues are-
    needs a radiator
    t-case needs pulled out to replace front seal
    both doors need the pins and bushings replaced
    transmission doesn't shift quite right (may be the dirty/low fluid)
    RF hub needs replaced
    front axle actuator wires are cut (no idea why)

I figured it would make me a good winter beater and my dad a good hunting rig. He'll split some of the cost with me.

Just the one pic for now of it on my lift at work as I was lookin it over.
    Does that mean that when you open the door it drops about 1"-1.5"? What's with that? Older GM trucks always seem to do that.

Anyway, congrats! I always liked '90s Chevy trucks. Do you get to use that lift to do repairs, or is that just while you were checking it out?

I wish I had a nice lift to work under.
    There's no apology for stupid, boy!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King Riffle View Post
    Does that mean that when you open the door it drops about 1"-1.5"? What's with that? Older GM trucks always seem to do that.
    Yes, you are right. Those pins in both the Silverado and S-10 models sucked!

Congtrats on your "new for you" truck. I'm sure you'll love every minute in it. A truck is like a child- you'll love it no matter what.

Thanks

The body doesn't look to bad on this side. I hope you don't find something really bad.
    Find me at: Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter at: Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King Riffle View Post
    Anyway, congrats! I always liked '90s Chevy trucks. Do you get to use that lift to do repairs, or is that just while you were checking it out?

I wish I had a nice lift to work under.
    Thanks, it's at the dealership I work for as a tech, so I can use it for personal stuff when I'm not busy, it's very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by likearock00 View Post
    Congtrats on your "new for you" truck. I'm sure you'll love every minute in it. A truck is like a child- you'll love it no matter what.
    Thanks, never heard it put so eloquently, almost poem-like. A man and his truck is a beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by darndot View Post
    The body doesn't look to bad on this side. I hope you don't find something really bad.
    I cleaned it out today, ended up with a full garbage can of bottles and jugs from the bed alone. Several coolant jugs, 6 or 7 Stop leak containers, lots of Mtn. Dew bottles. Only after cleaning it did I find a big hole through the middle of the bed and the area around it was weak. Looks like it had a 5th wheel plate in it that caused some rust under it, no biggie though.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Cobalt SS/SC

Thanks

Re: UPDATE- I bought a new (to me) 93 K2500

Well I got it to the point I could drive it home tonight (had to leave my Cobalt in the shop, don't like doin that). Here's what I've done so far in regards to my original list.

needs a radiator- I had a nearly new radiator with a small hole fixed for $40 and put in a thermostat since it didn't have one...
    t-case needs pulled out to replace front seal- Pulled out the t-case and replace the front input seal which was indeed cracked, also replaced the front output seal.
    both doors need the pins and bushings replaced- Nothing done yet, next go around.
    transmission doesn't shift quite right- Replaced the trans filter and added new fluid, shifts great now.
    RF hub needs replaced- Next go around
    front axle actuator wires are cut (no idea why)- Wires were for the 4x4 light switch. Front actuator didn't work at all though. I installed the new updated actuator in my service writer's truck and he gave me his old actuator, rewired the cut wires, 4WD works fine now.

Of course during the drive home I found more issues-
    Window fogged over and had a slight smell of coolant, so I assume the heater core is leaking.
    Doesn't idle very well, need to look over the injectors and probably do a tune-up.
    Needs an alignment, steering wheel is off-centered.
    Needs a CD player, not important, but still...

So far I've only spent about $80 in parts, not bad but I'm sure I'll find other problems as I go.
    Last edited by 69Chevy; 02-07-2008 at 11:22 PM.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Cobalt SS/SC

Thanks

Doesn't idle very well, need to look over the injectors and probably do a tune-up.
    I have 2 Chevy TBI trucks on my farm, a 89 Z71 305, and a 93 2500 350/utility. None of them idle good, especially when cold! Getting them to warm and go down the road without dying is half the fun of having it!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

That'll make a great workhorse after the bugs are ironed out. Which engine is in it? Any rust besides the bed?

Being a GM tech is definately a bonus.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorzl1 View Post
    I have 2 Chevy TBI trucks on my farm, a 89 Z71 305, and a 93 2500 350/utility. None of them idle good, especially when cold! Getting them to warm and go down the road without dying is half the fun of having it!
    You say fun I say annoying, but it does about the same as you just described. It has plenty of power and wil try to spin the tires without much effort though, so it can't be too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGS View Post
    That'll make a great workhorse after the bugs are ironed out. Which engine is in it? Any rust besides the bed?

Being a GM tech is definately a bonus.
    It has a 350 and the bed is the only rust I've found so far.

Yes being a GM tech is indeed a bonus, especially when it comes to parts discounts.

Also discovered this morning that something screwy is goin on with the blinker, they randomly increase speed then slow back down. Haven't ever seen that. It also needs a cruise/wiper switch/lever, whenever the wipers are turned to "mist" it kicks off the cruise, but again, not a necessity.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Cobalt SS/SC

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Also discovered this morning that something screwy is goin on with the blinker, they randomly increase speed then slow back down. Haven't ever seen that. It also needs a cruise/wiper switch/lever, whenever the wipers are turned to "mist" it kicks off the cruise, but again, not a necessity.
    Just needs a flasher unit. Sounds like the old thermal unit is going crazy. I'd get an electronic unit.

I've got a working SmartStalk from my Sonoma, too bad it won't fit. I spent $125 to replace a perfectly good part.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information