trans am 1981

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: trans am 1981

Walking
    Thanks

Post trans am 1981

Hi, i have a pontiac trans am from 81 whit a 301 engine non turbo.
    I want to now if i can change the engine whit a 455.Wil it fitt?
    sorry if i am writing a bitt wrong,i am from belgium:-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

Re: trans am 1981

There are other more knowledgeable people here that can chime in, but yes any Pontiac V8 should fit. The 301 is a low-deck version of other Pontiac V8s and the 400 and 455 (same external dimensions) were offered in earlier years of your car. The Olds 403 was also offered, as were smallblock Chevy's, so they can also be swapped in using factory parts. But there is something right about a Pontiac 455-powered Trans Am! You might find some further details at www.highperformancepontiac.com.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

It will be necessary to change the transmission, and probably the differential as well as other components as well. Check the emissions laws in your country as well before proceeding. Best of luck to you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 funkypunnk's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, and I have done it myself. You will probably want to change the tranny. Since the 455 is a torque monster you should put a TH400 behind it. You also need to either change the connecting rods or keep it under 5500 RPM if you want it to last. Remember that any parts from a 350 or 400 or 428 Pontiac engine all fit the 455. The 301 and 265 were anomalies and an effort by Pontiac to lighten and clean up the emissions of their V8s, it didn't work which is why they stopped making Pontiac V8s soon after. You could put a 200R4 or 7004R behind it but they would have to be strengthened up to handle the 400+ ft.Lbs of torque the 455 can dish out.
    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Hidden Content

2015 Suburban LTZ
    2008 Pontiac G8
    1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport
    1966 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Vert
    1962 Manx Style Dune Buggy
    1960 Buick LeSabre Vert

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information