Tough car day!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough car day!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC WWI Flying Ace's Avatar
    Thanks

Tough car day!

Soooooooo frustrated! Took the AMX out of the garage for the first day of spring...beautiful day, sun shining, why not take the hot rod for a run? Put the battery disconnect pin in, and it fired up right away! Strong, roaring, 401 cubic inches of joy...then...COOLANT LEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drips, not puddles, but %^#@WQ(&#(@*&%%^#@!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plan B, "I'll wash the Daily Driver Solstice"...she was dirty and needed a good scrubbin'...DRIVER DOOR HANDLE BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Known issue with other Kappas but DANG! Timing is everything!

I'lll take the AMX to the resto shop tomorrow and get the coolant leak fixed so I can work on the interior this spring as planned...haven't run the beast for about 3 months so that is probably the deal...something dried out from non use over the winter. Will be a couple weeks in the shop and I'll have them do a couple other things too since it is there anyway...and will take the Solstice in for the oil change and warranty fix on the door handle...but it was not a happy car day!

Although I did wash her and she is beautiful again with shiny chrome.
    2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
    2007 Jeep Commander
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    -Plato

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Tough car day!

When it rains it pours...........

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WWI Flying Ace View Post
    Soooooooo frustrated! Took the AMX out of the garage for the first day of spring...beautiful day, sun shining, why not take the hot rod for a run? Put the battery disconnect pin in, and it fired up right away! Strong, roaring, 401 cubic inches of joy...then...COOLANT LEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drips, not puddles, but %^#@WQ(&#(@*&%%^#@!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plan B, "I'll wash the Daily Driver Solstice"...she was dirty and needed a good scrubbin'...DRIVER DOOR HANDLE BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Known issue with other Kappas but DANG! Timing is everything!

I'lll take the AMX to the resto shop tomorrow and get the coolant leak fixed so I can work on the interior this spring as planned...haven't run the beast for about 3 months so that is probably the deal...something dried out from non use over the winter. Will be a couple weeks in the shop and I'll have them do a couple other things too since it is there anyway...and will take the Solstice in for the oil change and warranty fix on the door handle...but it was not a happy car day!

Although I did wash her and she is beautiful again with shiny chrome.
    That's vexing.

Same thing happened to my Plymouth. Coolant leaks from around the heater, so I just closed off the hose going into the heater. Temporary fix, I know, but at least I can drive it without drips of coolant all over the firewall.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
    When it rains it pours...........
    Indeed...been that kind of week all over the family. I'll just have to keep focus...when they are both fixed up and back in the garage/driveway, they'll be better than when they went in.

I must say...I think your avatar is awesome! I felt like that little dawg yesterday. Enjoy the top down driving in that Bimmer...the season for convertibles is finally here!

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    That's vexing.

Same thing happened to my Plymouth. Coolant leaks from around the heater, so I just closed off the hose going into the heater. Temporary fix, I know, but at least I can drive it without drips of coolant all over the firewall.
    That is a good idea. It's always something with older cars...but I do love them so! Hopefully mine will be a simple fix so I can get her back on the road. It went up to 160 F and stayed there like a rock, just like always...no issues with overheating because the leak is minor, but certianly not one I am going to chance on a long drive.

Off topic...that Buick is a real beauty...you headed up to the Fall AACA show again this year?
    2007 Jeep Commander
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Plato

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Sorry you had such a lousy day. Look on the bright side. You at least have an AMX, even if it needs some love now.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Off topic...that Buick is a real beauty...you headed up to the Fall AACA show again this year?
    Most likely not due to family things going on at that time, but I sure want to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    Sorry you had such a lousy day. Look on the bright side. You at least have an AMX, even if it needs some love now.
    You are right Hitman...its true. The AMX is my pride and joy. I yanked her out of a junkyard about 15 years ago and have made real strides in the past few years on the eventual total restoration. This is just a setback...instead of "mechanical is all done and now on to the bodywork/interior" it is back to mechanical this spring. But...it wasn't a bad day like (heaven forbid) "Wrecked my car today"...just a frustrating one. (My wife always says I am good at whining).

Speaking of cool cars...I love the G8! SWEEEEET car! I test drove one and it was fantastic.
    2007 Jeep Commander
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Plato

Banned
    Thanks

I must say...I think your avatar is awesome! I felt like that little dawg yesterday. Enjoy the top down driving in that Bimmer...the season for convertibles is finally here!

Yeah I love ridin' with the top down. My last 6 cars have been convertibles.

Thanks

OK, just talked to the shop today. Radiator is shot.

Jeez, it only lasted 37 years!

So, getting the radiator fixed up and it'll be back on the road soon. I don't like spending money, but it is nice to get something done on the old girl from time to time...makes me feel like I am making progress towards the eventual (maybe imaginary) day when I can step back and say "it's done!" Its more fun when what you are getting done is something cool like new headers or whatever, but hey, with no radiator, none of that other stuff matters! So a new radiator is good too.
    2007 Jeep Commander
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Plato

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

You have an AMX AND a Solstice? Will you marry and/or adopt me?
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    You have an AMX AND a Solstice? Will you marry and/or adopt me?
    My wife would never understand...But I like your taste in cars!

If there are any automotive marques you want to have out of business just let me know...so far AMC and Pontiac have bitten the dust, and I used to have an MG too...
    2007 Jeep Commander
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Plato

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

You considering any other additions? You could use a roomy sedan. Oldsmobile would fit the bill... I don't know older Olds very well, but a first-gen Aurora would be a nice misfit to add to your crop.

Hidden Content

Thanks

That would be cool...I saw one of those today as a matter of fact. I already got the mandate from the Missus though when I got the Wagoneer..."The Fleet won't be getting any bigger".

2007 Jeep Commander
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Plato

Thanks

Got the AMX back and it runs like a top! Hopefully it will be a nice weekend so I can take it out some for some driving...
    2007 Jeep Commander
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Plato

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

That would be cool...I saw one of those today as a matter of fact. I already got the mandate from the Missus though when I got the Wagoneer..."The Fleet won't be getting any bigger".
    Hmmm, well, how attached are you to your wife? Plan on keeping her? Might be a decent trade-in in a clean, low-mileage first-gen Aurora!

Glad all is well with the AMX... going to show us a few pictures?

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information