Terrain Part II

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Terrain Part II

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Terrain Part II

This past weekend, I swapped my mother's 2011 Terrain SLT-1 AWD with the 3.0L for another brand new 2013 Terrain SLT-1 AWD with the 3.6L exactly 2 years and 30k miles to the day the first one was delivered.

No issues with the 2011 and great mileage for the most part, little to no wear either. Still drum solid and tight after all the miles, and the 3.0L continued to be buttery smooth. Really her only complaints stemmed from a lack of HVAC in the rear and abnormal amounts of road noise that started to build with age, throughout the cabin on highway trips. By 30k, other than some dirt, the Michelin tires still looked barely touched and it was about due for the 10th oil change.

Picked up the new 2013 Saturday night, all sparkling and ready to go from the same dealer in NJ where the first came from.

Same car, but now with the 3.6L, the 18" Chrome Wheels (machined 18's no longer offered, and the base 17" wheels now standard on more trims were a no go), and Power Sunroof. Navigation or Power Tailgate would have been nice, but not necessities. Intellilink is great, and the graphics/functionality very impressive. Like a nav without nav software, and weather/movies/gas prices on it are interesting. Also the little changes like power lock buttons on the doors are small but appreciated.

More importantly the much talked about 3.6L LFX. The parents never once had a complaint about the 3.0L so many people loved to hate. Got solid mileage and better than the 3.6L Camaro before it, even with AWD, and was nothing but smooth. Moved well. Having driven both 2 hours back to back I wanted to see differences and did see a few. The 3.0L 2011 with 30k miles felt quick off the line and SMOOTH. Better shifting than the rubber band feeling 2012 Caddy SRX I had in September, for sure. When pushed more and/or at higher speeds, you could feel a lack of torque as the engine remained buttery but a bit slow to gain speed. Not bad in any way.

The 3.6L feels instantly more torquey and shifts quicker yet, with more available power regardless of speed. Still not a huge difference, but where the 3.0L seems to weez a bit at some RPM's, the 3.6L downshifts and pulls more. In my driving I got 2 mpg more with the 3.6L, but I was also trying more to do so with the still to be broken in car. Interesting though because it was less taxed and cruised easier.

The 2011 did gain road roar with age, on certain highways, quite boomy inside. Tires or something. The fresh 2013 with same treads was quieter, for sure. Also, the same Pioneer audio in the 2011 sounded poor and I couldn't figure out why, aged speakers or something else. Couldn't adjust it correctly or to compensate.

All in all, very much enjoy the 2013 and it checked boxes the 2011 did not, 3.6L, wheels, and audio included. Mom is adjusting to the "interesting" wheels that have garnered her some extra looks, but enjoying regardless.

I had them add the accessory splash guards, net and rear cargo liner from GMC for functional use.

Fresh at the dealer:

Back to back with the old 2011:

And the 2011 again returned back to the same dealer, next day. CPO here it comes.

This one is leased. Much cheaper, and more features. Incredible deal for a lot of car. As long as the fuel mileage is same or better, dad will approve eventually too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Terrain Part II

Nice review, we have a 2010 nox with the 3.0. My parents love the 3.0 and i just dislike the way it drives....im not sure if its because of the engine or the 6 speed trans.

Im shocked you had 30K on it and the Michelins were looking great. Ours was on its 2nd set of them by 30k... your roads out east must be much better than ours here in the western part of the state as we were amazed to get almost 30k out of a set of tires.
    so many GM vehicles in my household my driveway looks like a used car lot

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

I want that Regal GS in the last picture. Nice comparo and write up.
    6 speed transmissions are the future

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoney View Post
    I want that Regal GS in the last picture. Nice comparo and write up.
    That's my car, heh.

What a joy it was to get back into it and blast home, pushing the turbo and suspension.

At 30k, the Michelins on the Terrain literally looked barely worn. Mom is not a tough driver and in flat/smooth Delaware, there isn't much they have to deal with. They did get noisier though, as her chief complaint was interior road noise as it aged. I think part body style absorbing more noise and the tires stiffening up. Very quiet until a concrete highway.

I had never driven her old one except to park it, and was impressed by the 3.0L's down low smooth grunt with the 6-speed/AWD. Just felt strong and without much noise. She's enjoying the new one still, and has yet to say anything about power or transmission difference. Waiting to see if she does, or dad does.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information