The SLO's exhaust work & rearview mirror

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: The SLO's exhaust work & rearview mirror

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

The SLO's exhaust work & rearview mirror

I bought used exhaust tips from a GP owner on ClubPG.com:

They look really nice, and when they're up against the bumper, they conform to the shape very well.

In this picture, they're just hanging. They look odd when low, but they are nice when they are up a bit.

And now, the rearview mirror! This is awesome, and it makes driving safely almost breezy.

I tried to do one of those really cool, unscientific experiments. I sprayed 500º F engine aerosol paint onto some exhaust pipe to see how it would hold up. After some undocumented amount of miles, the primer gray turned to a slight tan. I'm not sure what that means. So, lesson learned: Don't use engine paint on the exhaust pipes.

Also, I got a Cherry Bomb resonator. It has a more porous inside than the OE resonator that I had before, and it's about 2" longer. This is the longest Cherry Bomb I could find, and I paid about $20 for it at Advance Auto Parts. Yet another unscientific test relatively confirms that with this resonator, my exhaust is even quieter than before. This test was actually done after I ran for almost a whole 24 hour period with just the resonator and no muffler. I put on about 180 highway miles with drone. People kept trying to get out of the way, and it was so awesome to be able to drive straight without changing lanes or tailgating slow drivers. I'm a horrible person...

To illuminate my work area, I used a 48" fluorescent lamp. It was nice!

I put in a 3" Hogan downpipe. It has two new gaskets, for both sides, and one is very shiny. Worthy of a picture, I think.

See all the PB Blaster stuff on the ground? I spent about 6 hours struggling with nuts and rods and also clamping on the resonator. The clamping wasn't hard, but it was done during these six hours. Anyway, the nuts on the exhaust manifold's rods that hold on the downpipe were so stuck that I broke loose the rods trying to get simply the nuts to move. It was an awesome experience working for 6 hours in the night and trying to loosen two nuts. Lots of fun.

So, after my ricing experience with just a resonator after a 3" downpipe, I had my welding friend come over. There's an OE rod welded onto the exhaust, and it apparently provides some structural integrity. I had to move it because of the added resonator length.

You can here see the primer-turned-tan color:

And some more pictures now:

Look at this smoke!

More unscientific experimentation: A new way to hold on an exhaust tip so that it doesn't move during welding.

Hidden Content
    94 STEi - In different stages of done
    99 SLO - Tune, L26 UIM, ported LIM, N*throttle body, 85mm MAF, welded solid front trans mount, no EGR, no evap, and an intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Re: The SLO's exhaust work & rearview mirror

Quote Originally Posted by radomirthegreat View Post
    People kept trying to get out of the way, and it was so awesome to be able to drive straight without changing lanes or tailgating slow drivers. I'm a horrible person...
    You sound like a funny mofo to me!

This is the best thread I've seen in a while! About every 2 years or so, I paint my Camry muffler and exhaust pipe (the part that looks like it is kinked and hanging too far down on Camrys and Avalons). I use BBQ grill flat black paint, and don't even clean or prep. I guess if I did it right the first time, maybe I wouldn't have to redo it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Thanks for the compliment! It was a lot of work to get some exhaust work done, but the car is definitely a better ride with the quieter resonator and better flowing downpipe.

Is your exhaust stainless steel? Even that rusts on the surface, but it basically never should rust through and leak. Stove paint helps slightly to keep heat packed in the pipe, so that's generally better for something. If you're really hardcore, you can get ceramic black header coating that is sold for $25 per pint, and you spray it on with a paint gun. It actually holds back heat and is intended for headers, but you could use it on the entire exhaust and basically never have to re-paint.

Especially if you just have basic steel exhaust piping, that should help. Plus, it might just let the exhaust tip in the back have hotter exhaust, and you could then tell your friends that your Camry runs on a mixture with jet fuel.
    Hidden Content
    99 SLO - Tune, L26 UIM, ported LIM, N*throttle body, 85mm MAF, welded solid front trans mount, no EGR, no evap, and an intake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

My Camry has the factory exhaust. I am just so anal, that I can't stand to see a brown (surface rusted) exhaust/muffler when my car is all white, chrome, black, and silver (hubcaps lol).

My poor Camry is so slow, even a cheap header isn't worth the trouble of fitting it. Or worse, breaking something else.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Sorry to hear about your Camry. But header coating is simply $25 paint that can stand the heat of headers. Put it on your normal, unchanged exhaust with the OE exhaust manifold, and you will have a nice, black exhaust whose paint won't wear out every two years.

Also, I've got more pictures! They're right after a car wash, so the car is still wet. Not the best, but I was running out of sun light.

I did a crazy mod! Not yet polished, but it's getting there. I tinted the tail lights, and then I covered that with clear coat with metallic flakes. It looks nice, but really badly needs a polish. Probably tomorrow or so.

Hidden Content

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information