Saving money but being happier

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Saving money but being happier

Thanks

Saving money but being happier

I have been in Cobalts (2) since Aug 2005. I have nothing but praise for the reliability of mine (both 2.4L models) and the build quality. However the driving dynamics are another story--I just hate driving it the last year. My wife, my son and my mother in law hate it too LOL.

Also decided to cut back on expenses and pay down some debt. Found a nice 2004 Grand Am SE1--it has the upgraded 16" wheels and the Monsoon audio system (not far off the Pionner system in the Cobalt) It has 97K Kms.

I like the 03+ SE versions--they got rid of that hideous body cladding!

Not as perfect as the pictures say but good shape. ( some rocks chips a bit of paint AWOL of the bumpers, few scatches) Runs well and has better driving dynamics the the Cobalt. Steering feel is way better and the ride quality is huge step forward. It tries to absorb the bump and road imperfections instead of just crashing over them in the Cobalt. (way too stiff unforgiving suspension!)

The 3400 V6 provides thrust with less effort and doesn't sound strained (currently have the 2.4L Cobalt with the auto)

I love the extra room inside too. I don't think I can ever go back to a small car again.
    (Maybe G8 or new Malibu...?)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...6/GASE1022.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...6/GASE1017.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...6/GASE1015.jpg
    Last edited by avro206; 04-18-2010 at 05:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Saving money but being happier

Everybody likes grand ams but I owned 3 of them. You will have repairs and reapairs I'm not being an expert on them but I owned a 2000 Grand AM GT coupe and also ordered a brand new 2003 Pontiac Grand AM GT. They are nice looking cars but they constantly have problems.
    ~Rotors warping brakes are super cheap~
    ~Tires rubbing~
    ~Head gasket leaks~
    ~Numerous window regulators~
    Warning lights popping up on random~
    Blower Motor Resistors
    speedo gauge stickin.
    severe condesation issues backup bulbs and headlamps
    I use to drive grand ams for over 6 years. I was sooo excited to get into a Pontiac G6 no problems except not starting on a couple of ocassions. I would rather own a Colbalt. My mom drives a G5 bought it new and 26,000 miles later the only repair we had on it was squeaky breaks which they lubed up and no problems after that. Good luck with your venture

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Congrats Avro. That s a very...American looking car. I'm assuming it is an Auto?
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Congrats Avro. That s a very...American looking car. I'm assuming it is an Auto?
    yup all V6s were automatics. Standards are fun but not as daily driver in heavy traffic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    I would rather own a Colbalt. My mom drives a G5 bought it new and 26,000 miles later the only repair we had on it was squeaky breaks which they lubed up and no problems after that. Good luck with your venture
    Yeah I know they have some issues. My wife had a brand new Grand Am Gt in 2000--it had a few issues but not many.

I am hoping that mine being an 04 that most of the kinks have been worked out. Hopefully the car will serve me well

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avro206 View Post
    Yeah I know they have some issues. My wife had a brand new Grand Am Gt in 2000--it had a few issues but not many.

I am hoping that mine being an 04 that most of the kinks have been worked out. Hopefully the car will serve me well
    My used 2000 Grand AM GT worked better than then the new 2003 Grand AM GT I learned my lesson though don't buy silver when you order or purchase a new car. After that I started ordering black everytime and I had minor issues but nothing that had to get replaced under warranty

Thanks

The 3400 isn't the best engine out there. If you could swing a 3800 powered Grand Prix you'll have a more reliable and arguably better looking car.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    The 3400 isn't the best engine out there. If you could swing a 3800 powered Grand Prix you'll have a more reliable and arguably better looking car.
    alot bigger--don't have the length for that in my garage. Sat in one the other day--something felt odd about it. Low seating, high cowl?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    Everybody likes grand ams but I owned 3 of them. You will have repairs and reapairs
    nothing yet. I find my gas mileage is amazing.

I have hit a high of just over 27.5 US MPG---in the CITY! Even other tanks in the city are almost never less then 25.

Did a short highway trip, about 80 miles. Got 31.9 MPG. A longer, similar driver, I bet I can beat that.
    Proud Pontiac Owner
    2004 Grand Am SE V6 with 1SB package. Faster then my 2,4L Cobalt auto was! More fun to drive too.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Congrats on the new, well used, Grand Am. Grand Am's take a lot of ribbing in car forums, (no pun intended), but they're reasonably sized cars that provide a nice ride/handling combination. Only thing you really have to worry about is the dreaded 3400, but hopefully it will be kind to you.

I do agree with you about the Cobalts though. Inexpensive and reliable cars that ride very nice, but no fun to drive.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information