Parents just took delivery of a 2mode Hybrid...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Parents just took delivery of a 2mode Hybrid...

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Exclamation Parents just took delivery of a 2mode Hybrid...

Way on back in 1997, my mom bought a Toyota Celica convertible as a reward after many years of minivans and large sedans for kid-schleping duties. Those days were coming to a close, so she finally got a car like she always wanted.

One year later, a car turned left in front of her and the car was a complete loss. She was injured, but recovered. She decided her next vehicle would be large to better protect her in any possible future accident.

She bought a new 1998 Dodge Durango. That SUV served the family well. It took me and my siblings to college and back, was used as the Christmas tree delivery wagon, was used to tow, haul, go offroad...everything. It eventually was relegated to third car status once we all moved away from home and my mom got a new E-class, but it was still there as the all-purpose utility wagon.

Well, earlier this week my dad was using it since he had to take garbage to the dump. On his way back, a Tahoe turned left right into the side of the Durango (the very kind of accident that caused us to get a the big SUV in the first place!) So, after 11 years and 130,000 miles of service, the Dodge was totaled out by the insurance company.

My dad now is the one with the small convertible (SLK 55 AMG), and once again my mom wanted to get a large car to keep him safer than the convertible would.

So..........................the search was on.

They wanted something relatively large and roomy, reasonably rugged, 4WD/AWD, and with decently good fuel economy.

My dad's first choice was the GL450 BlueTech, but those were a bit too spendy. Then he looked at the Grand Cherokee. THEN, he called me to say he was going to the Honda and Toyota dealers to look at Pilots and Sequoias.

I had to do something. So I pleaded the 2mode Hybrid's case, we discussed the merits, costs, rebates, availability, and packaging.

In the end, he decided it was a better choice than a Honda Pilot. (I called the car company and told them he was going to buy a Pilot if they didn't do something about it, and they found an additional $750 rebate for him (on top of the $4,500 factory rebate), which helped). After much, MUCH online searching of dealer inventory, precisely 30 hours after the accident, they bought the SUV.

They took it home today:

399hp, 390lb-ft, 20/22mpg, and it's a Hemi!!

The Tahoe/Yukon were immediately deemed unaccepable due to the non-folding flat third row (GM short-changed the GMT900s, and it continually costs them sales). So, that's why they didn't get one (I know those comments are coming).

So far, they love it. The backup camera, navigation system, real time traffic, Bluetooth, music hard drive, iPod interface, and electric propulsion have them all excited.

As far as we could tell, it was the last one on Long Island. My dad like the Aspen better, but the only hybrid ones within driving distance were demos. My mom ended up not liking the "wood" grain in them, anyway, so that worked out.

I guarantee they won't be seeing another one on the road anytime soon. I think they only made them for a month before production in the Delaware plant was permanently idled.
    Last edited by Titanic; 08-15-2009 at 11:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Parents just took delivery of a 2mode Hybrid...

I was totally expecting a GM SUV but it's still GM technology and American. Did he get a really good rebate on the Durango? And was it hard to find. It seemed like as soon as they started building them they stopped. But I look forward to a few more pics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
    I was totally expecting a GM SUV but it's still GM technology and American. Did he get a really good rebate on the Durango? And was it hard to find. It seemed like as soon as they started building them they stopped. But I look forward to a few more pics.
    Well, the one in existence was easy to find thanks to the internet, but it was an hour's drive away from their house.

I've amended the original post.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Congrats to them. May they get many trouble free miles from it.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    She bought a new 1998 Dodge Durango. That SUV served the family well. It took me and my siblings to college and back, was used as the Christmas tree delivery wagon, was used to tow, haul, go offroad...everything.
    Not possible, everyone on this site knows that nobody should have an SUV because they are never used for their full capability.

I kid, I kid. I hope your parents enjoy it, Durangos drive very well and feel smaller than they actually are around town.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    Not possible, everyone on this site knows that nobody should have an SUV because they are never used for their full capability.

I kid, I kid. I hope your parents enjoy it, Durangos drive very well and feel smaller than they actually are around town.
    Yeah, it acquitted itself exceptionally well over the years. Chrysler designed/built a great truck. It was extraordinarily well-maintained, but it was used to the full extent of its design, so while it had only about 130,000 miles, I'm not sure how many more productive years it had left.

Poor truck. Death by Tahoe.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Im still surprised how the comperably innefficent Hemi vs GM Gen IV's do better with the two-mode system compared to regular drive mode.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    Im still surprised how the comperably innefficent Hemi vs GM Gen IV's do better with the two-mode system compared to regular drive mode.
    I think the alleged inefficiency is more a function of the transmission than of the motor.

That said, the 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi 5spd is rated at 14/20, while the 2009 Chevy Silverado 6.0L 6spd is rated at 14/19. So, even with what should be a gearing advantage, the 6.0L Silverado gets worse economy than the 5.7L Ram.

So, I don't think the Gen IVs do as well in that area as you purport. That, or the Hemi isn't as inefficient as some GM fans like to promote.

I think the point is proved when the 6.0L 4WD Hybrid Tahoe is rated at 20/20 WITH a host of weight reduction, friction reduction, and air resistance reduction technologies is still less fuel efficient than the 5.7L 4WD Hybrid Durango that has the same transmission, and none of the weight/air resistance treatments. Plus, I think the combined power rating of the Hemi Hybrid is higher than the Gen IV Hybrid.
    Last edited by Titanic; 08-16-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    I think the alleged inefficiency is more a function of the transmission than of the motor.
    That, or the Hemi isn't as inefficient as some GM fans like to promote.
    I think the poor fuel mileage stigma is left over from the initial 345hp 5.7L Hemis. Those trucks didn't get great mileage and didn't feel like they had that much power, likely due to the transmission, as you said.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Very possible, very possible.
    Durango had no other hybrid improvments outside of the GM TwoMode? No aero/light weight reduction?
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    Very possible, very possible.
    Durango had no other hybrid improvments outside of the GM TwoMode? No aero/light weight reduction?
    That's something Duspinnst could answer better, but from every single thing I've read, the answer seems to ge: No. Chrysler didn't want to spend the money. Smart move, since it seems the hybrids were only in production for a matter of a month or two. In fact, the press kit for the Durango hybrid makes no mention whatsoever of any special weight/aero/tire treatments.
    Last edited by Titanic; 08-16-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

I've only seen one in the wild, and it was an Aspen, which I suppose is the rarest of the rare.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not a Durango fan after living with the one my mother owned for eight years, but I've driven the second generation and it was much improved. I'm sure the Two-Mode system is really nice in it too.

I'm really curious as to how many hybrids they built. I've never seen one in person.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 genjy's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a lot of powertrain for a relatively small vehicle.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information