This old Pontiac followed me home

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: This old Pontiac followed me home

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

This old Pontiac followed me home

Actually I bought it.......My Wife thinks I should start a car lot called "Old ugly cars nobody wants" lol. I grew up around cars from the 80's, and these cars just aint around anymore....at least not in this condition. It's an 1985, very base model, gravely 2.5 iron duke, no a/c, no cruise...nothing! It only has just over 50,000 miles on the clock and spent most of it's life in a garage, it runs like new yet. Not much love out there for A cars, but driving it does bring back memories, I had a loaded 85 when I met my Wife in 1996!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to corwaa For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (07-27-2014),Canuck (07-28-2014),Dave B (07-28-2014),mikmak (07-28-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: This old Pontiac followed me home

This is an interesting conundrum.

An extremely good example of a car which was very popular in it's day, but now has about zero collector interest. The few people interested in 1980s A-bodies would want a more optioned-up car. Nothing you could do to it with aftermarket parts would really increase it's interest.

Maybe you feel like you're obligated to "adopt" this thing? Perhaps you could stick it into a barn for another 20 years and perhaps someone would care. (probably not.)

Or you could just drive it into the ground and be Stripper Pontiac 6000 Guy.

Just don't get into a collision because compared to modern cars, these are death traps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vcs2600 For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (07-27-2014)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,651 Times in 4,132 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Wow, GM at its vanilla best, circa 1980s.

Congrats on your find, lightly-used older cars are IMO always a good find.

Some day this car may be worth today's equivalent of 100K. There are many pretty ordinary cars from the 40s, 50s, and 60s that today are worth ungodly amounts. Nobody in their right mind would have thought that when the cars were young.

Indulge your hobby. But as vcs2600 says, I'd keep the car for old car festivals etc. I wouldn't want old construction as my DD. I still remember the video of the 1959 Chevy crashing head-on into a 2009 Malibu. The fitty-niner folded up like a house of cards.

1962 VS. 2002 Cadillac. Too bad these two monkeys have minimal technical info available in their cranial cavities:

Last edited by Neanderthal; 07-26-2014 at 02:11 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (07-26-2014)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,027 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

How much did you pay?

How did you find it ?

The no A/c is a tough throw back to a bygone era though'. Thanks for sharing .

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Shouldn't be impossible to add AC. That's the only modernization I would do. Drive it until the wheels fall off!

Re: Videos -- I certainly feel good about getting into a wreck in the Deville.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Now you need an '86 Grand Am!
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mentat Bashar For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (07-27-2014)

Thanks

Great find!

While I am certainly one to drool over true classics and muscle cars, I've professionally bought and sold more than 100 over the years, it's these rather mundane, plain-jane, almost invisible cars that actually get my attention. Gently used "everyman's" cars are relatively rare. Why? Because they were bought for basic commuting, for the most part, and were almost never babied like many luxury or performance cars are.

"Base" 6000's were rare back in '85. There may be a single digit amount left in this condition. The fact that it triggers memories for you makes the find that much better!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Quixote88 For This Useful Post:

mikmak (07-28-2014)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,137 Times in 3,247 Posts

Nice find!
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    Great find!

While I am certainly one to drool over true classics and muscle cars, I've professionally bought and sold more than 100 over the years, it's these rather mundane, plain-jane, almost invisible cars that actually get my attention. Gently used "everyman's" cars are relatively rare. Why? Because they were bought for basic commuting, for the most part, and were almost never babied like many luxury or performance cars are.

"Base" 6000's were rare back in '85. There may be a single digit amount left in this condition. The fact that it triggers memories for you makes the find that much better!

My thoughts mirror yours. I attend many collector car auctions and always seem to gravitate towards these everyday cars, if there should even be any around. I've noticed cars from the early to mid 80's are becoming extinct, X-bodys, K cars, A cars, all that FWD junk has all gone to the crusher. Yes...nobody really cares for this stuff, and it's value will likely never be anymore than the few hundred I paid out for it, I kinda like driving that nondescript 80's family car.

This car was bound to be junked as well. The original family owners had no use for it, basically sat in a garage. It had an antifreeze leak which was the last straw for them. I put a $50 water pump it in (took 15 min to install btw) and she's ready to roll. One thing I noticed is how small this car feels/Is, this was considered a midsize back in the day, parked beside a 2010 Malibu this car looks more like a sub compact.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corwaa View Post
    This car was bound to be junked as well. The original family owners had no use for it, basically sat in a garage. It had an antifreeze leak which was the last straw for them. I put a $50 water pump it in (took 15 min to install btw) and she's ready to roll. One thing I noticed is how small this car feels/Is, this was considered a midsize back in the day, parked beside a 2010 Malibu this car looks more like a sub compact.
    Good story. That antifreeze leak is similar to so many other stories I've heard over the years as to why a car was eventually junked. Enjoy your new ride (Even if the wife doesn't understand it!)!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Nice find, had a 86 Celebrity wagon that I ordered new, 2.8 MPFI, Gage's instead of idiot lights, needed it with 4 kids. Car ended up going 245,000 miles, original transmission, and engine, never overhauled, it was the energizer bunny on wheels. Boys ended up using it in HS and would throw all their street hockey gear in, and the net on top, to go play street hockey. Ended up being known as the Battle Wagon by them and there friends. Ended up selling it to a guy at work for his son. It would not die.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TORRED1 For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (07-27-2014)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Some of those Celebrity's especially just wouldn't die no matter what. Bulletproof, nearly, but definitely not rustproof. Growing up in Upstate NY I saw more Celebrity's get junked because they rusted out and couldn't be fixed anymore. People loved those cars as winter rats especially.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Now you need to find an AWD STE to park beside it
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information