New ride...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New ride...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

New ride...

Sorry GMi guys and gals, but I bought a Ford! It's a brand-new 2009 Ford Ka! It's a silver base model, 1.2L gas engine with a 5-speed transmission. Only option is a CD radio. It shares a platform and drivetrain with the Fiat 500 (comes from the same factory in Poland) but has different suspension tuning. Most reviews I've come across comparing the two say that the Ka gives up very little in handling and has a much better ride. Being a short car with the wheels at the corner it's very fun to drive. You sit very high, unbelievably high for such a dinky car, but I quite like it like that.

No real exciting features to speak of... ABS and dual airbags, like everything these days... it's about as simple a runabout as you can get in 2009 (this side of a Dacia, that is). I insisted on buying a car that was already in stock... I didn't want to order one and wait... and Ford was one of the few dealers with any small cars in stock.

I'm sad to see the Ax head to the junkyard, but it was time. I will imagine it sitting in a quiet field near a little stream, with deer and rabbits and birds fluttering around in a Disney-like scene... knowing full well that as we speak it's probably being crushed into a cube.

I have more pictures and will add them later, but I'll attach one for now.

So voila, just wanted to share my joy! Surely even the most hardcore of GM fans can appreciate the excitement of ANY new car!!!

Last edited by paul8488; 12-16-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: New ride...

Why do you post that on a GM news site ??

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 2000 View Post
    Why do you post that on a GM news site ??
    To give guys like you something to complain about.

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M

So if you bought two, you would have Ka Ka?
    Hidden Content
    18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes. RIP March 20 2015.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Sacré bleu! You scrapped that lovable, scruffy little AX?

Nice Ka you've got, Paul. Enjoy!

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    Sacré bleu! You scrapped that lovable, scruffy little AX?

Nice Ka you've got, Paul. Enjoy!
    Yup, and I feel bad, but I bought it knowing I'd keep it 6 months (the minimum necessary) before cashing in on the 'cash for clunkers' deal. I broke the key in the ignition a few weeks back, so I was starting the car with the broken bit of key that was left over. I couldn't lock it at night OR open the hatch and had to bust open the locking gas cap. The heater fan was all or nothing, so too hot or too cold. The speedometer stopped working properly as it got cold. I had replaced one CV joint and had a second to do, and the front brakes needed to be redone.

All that to say that, while with a little TLC and some cash it could have lasted a while longer, it was a 900 euro car and I never wanted to put any money into. But I sure get attached to a car, so I feel a bit of guilt. I'll get over it though, because I find the Ka a hoot to drive! Such a short wheelbase, it practically turns around on itself! It's a bit underpowered, which I always liked in a car... makes you drive smarter to get the most out of it! And I'm addicted to the fuel economy computer... I've never had one before, and it's fun watching it go up and down. I need to get out more I think!!!

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by solman98 View Post
    So if you bought two, you would have Ka Ka?
    Haha @ Kaka!!! I prefer telling people that I drive a James Bond car... or at least his girlfriend's car!

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Or in the rear-view window, would that be ak ak?

Thanks

Ooooh, I am indeed quite delighted! Please support our economy, we're the only one actually growing in Europe

Seriously, a good choice. I was thinking the other day if I was in a market for a city car, I'd probably get a Ka too. It's just too good for the price. I am only quite disappointed that you didn't go for a Titanium with alloy wheels, I don't know about France but it costs only a bit more here and looks a billion times better.

Then again, I think that owning an actually all-new car with a warranty, from an actual showroom and having it serviced at an actual dealer is almost too much for you already. I guess if they wanted you to order an extra option, they could've added an anti-consumerism badge to the list, but alas, you'll have to paint it yourself

Seriously again - congratulations and happy motoring! You now owe as a GMI review thereof!

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

That's a cool little car Paul. Best of luck.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    Seriously, a good choice. I was thinking the other day if I was in a market for a city car, I'd probably get a Ka too. It's just too good for the price. I am only quite disappointed that you didn't go for a Titanium with alloy wheels, I don't know about France but it costs only a bit more here and looks a billion times better.
    I was tempted for sure, but the only Titanium on the lot was black and I didn't want a black car. I had decided on a cheap, basic car, and resisted the temptation to upgrade, aside from the CD player and metallic paint. It really is a great small car, but boy is it small! Many Americans here are clamouring for it, and they might very well like it, but I'm not convinced they realise just how dinky it is.

A few months (years?) back I argued with you that the Matiz could sell based solely on its price, and that for some people the low cost would outweigh the cheapness... but after driving one and comparing it to many other cars, I take that back! It really is a prehistoric car, and feels so very unsubstantial compard to the Ka... or anything else. When you're buying something new you want to feel good about it... the Spark / Beat can't get out soon enough!

I only have a few more days before I abandon my car for the Christmas holidays, so I'll put a review together in the New Year when I've had the time to go on a proper roadtrip.

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 BrickTamland's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats Paul!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Current: Galaxy Gray 2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
    Former: Super Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

There's the rest of it?
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Thanks

Congrats Paul 8488:

Ever since viewing the initial information on the FORD Ka micro car, I thought it looked cute, and would have liked to test one when in Europe. I recently saw a Ka used in a segment of the James Bond Movie “Quantum of Solace” and it appeared quite peppy and seemed to handle well, also!

BTW, what other cars does the Ka compete with it in France? In addition, I apologize for some of the comments of our other members. Many even though GMI is a GM fan site, e are enthusiasts of other manufacturers are well and appreciate automotive diversity.

Happy motoring!

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    Ever since viewing the initial information on the FORD Ka micro car, I thought it looked cute, and would have liked to test one when in Europe. I recently saw a Ka used in a segment of the James Bond Movie “Quantum of Solace” and it appeared quite peppy and seemed to handle well, also!

BTW, what other cars does the Ka compete with it in France? In addition, I apologize for some of the comments of our other members. Many even though GMI is a GM fan site, e are enthusiasts of other manufacturers are well and appreciate automotive diversity.
    Haha most people here know the Ka as the 'James Bond chick car', as they advertised it heavily when the film came out. Good thing I'm not insecure or I'd feel bad!

Maybe the Bond car was a diesel, which might be peppier... by Euro standards the 1.2L gas Ka isn't particularly peppy... but by US standards it's an all-out slug. Doesn't bother me, I'd taken a good test drive and knew what I was getting... but it requires lots of shifting (which I consider a good, fun thing!) along hilly roads. It does handle very well, very very tossable, you have a very good feel for how well the car is planted by the seat of your pants, and it communicates lots back from the road (maybe too much for many drivers).

I don't know about exact classes, but I'd compare it to the Opel Agila, Chevrolet Matiz (Beat), Renault Twingo, Citroen C1 / Peugeot 107 / Toyota Aygo, Suzuki Alto, VW Lupo, and of course the Fiat 500. I tested most of those and the Ka compares very nicely.

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information