My stupid neighbor

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My stupid neighbor

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

My stupid neighbor

I need help.

The pendejo:
    My stupid neighbor decided to recently add on to his house. Part of the add-on involved contracting a painting company to paint the trim surrounding the house. Well the paint company use some sort of spray on paint that got all over the house and my 03 Expedition.

The problem:
    I've managed to clay off the overspray from the painted surfaces, however the belt moldings and other textured black plastic moldings, mirrors, and cowl are still covered.

I've tried everything from elbow grease to acetone to get it off with no success.

The plea:
    Please...if anyone has any ideas, I welcome them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,419 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: My stupid neighbor

bring the problem to the attention of the contractor, your neigbor is not the problem. If the contractor is licensed, there should be a property damage insurance that he carries. It should be able to pay for proffessionals to work on your truck.

Keep your cool, approach them nicely, explain the problem. Most people are reasonable

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau
    bring the problem to the attention of the contractor, your neigbor is not the problem. If the contractor is licensed, there should be a property damage insurance that he carries. It should be able to pay for proffessionals to work on your truck.

Keep your cool, approach them nicely, explain the problem. Most people are reasonable
    I agree. And if they don't cooperate, you probably have grounds for a law suit.

You shouldn't try to fix it yourself. You might and up doing more damage, and they would not be liable for that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronald mcretard
    I agree. And if they don't cooperate, you probably have grounds for a law suit.

You shouldn't try to fix it yourself. You might and up doing more damage, and they would not be liable for that.
    Already checked into the contractor thing...I think u guys dont understand that most work is down here is done by...uh...."people who do jobs that most americans dont want to do". Everybody has a cousin that does something down here.

secondly...a law suit would cost more money than a simple repair....cost issues here

Thanks

try using paint thinner

Thanks

You got a Ned Flanders on your hands.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Fortunately, you are wrong about the cost of a law suit. Of course, try to tell the neighbor he needs to pay to have the damage corrected (get several body shop estimates to back up your claim). If he refuses, file a suit in the small claims court. It will only cost you $25 or some such amount to file it. The upper limit of suits in small claims courts is generally something like $5,000.
    Last edited by FStephenMasek; 05-31-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    Some of my radios are on Hidden Content - FStephenMasek
    My company: Hidden Content

Thanks

You should have started with a police report from the beginning. I know it sounds harsh, but these days it is the only way to get things done quickly.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 S6, '13 Sienna, '17 Q5

About 10 years ago, my buddy was driving over the Outerbridge Crossing from NJ to Staten Island, and while they were painting the bridge, a worker spilled a 5 gallon bucket of paint onto his 1995 Intrepid. Oops. He called the Port Authority, and they paid to have the car cleaned and detailed.

I'd discuss the problem with your neighbor. As long as you two get along reasonably well, it should be able to be handled amicably.
    Hidden Content
    2013 Audi S6 4.0T quattro
    2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Listen to some of you.

We're talking about a few pieces of plastic molding that combined, probably cost less that would you spend on one good pay-per-view fight.

Quit being the typical American, with your hate-thy-neighbor, or sue-thy-neighbor mentality, suck up the cost and go on with life. Peace and tranquility can sometimes be had for pennies.

Put the shoe on the other foot. If you had your house painted, knowing full well that you had no idea that it would affect your neighbor, and it got paint on HIS car, would you want your neighbor to start crap with you? Just suck it up and do what you can to keep a good relationship with your neighbor.

Judging by some of these posts, I'm sure glad some of you aren't my neighbors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Put the shoe on the other foot. If you had your house painted, knowing full well that you had no idea that it would affect your neighbor, and it got paint on HIS car, would you want your neighbor to start crap with you? Just suck it up and do what you can to keep a good relationship with your neighbor.
    No, I would simply apologize profusely and since (in this case) I had a non licensed/insured bunch of illegal aliens do the painting, I would man up and pay what ever it takes to make it right with my neighbor. It is, after all, my fault for hiring the cheep painters.

Is it unreasonable to expect ones neighbor to be responsable for their actions/stupidity?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Mazda 3

ya, inform your neighbours, ask for the contractors information. Phone the contractor..and inform him of the damages to your property and auto.

If they were a half descent contractor they would have notified you to move your vehicle..or put a tarp over your vehicle. The BBB might have a say in this too.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

If it was my house being painted:

1) I would not have the fly-by-night "contractor"

2) If paint still somehow got on my neighbor's vehicle, I would see that the contractor fixed it, or I would pay to have it fixed. The neighbor would never have the opportunity to post something on it anywhere, because it would be fixed immediately.
    Some of my radios are on Hidden Content - FStephenMasek
    My company: Hidden Content

Thanks

We're talking about a few pieces of plastic molding that combined, probably cost less that would you spend on one good pay-per-view fight.
    You've obviously never had to buy those pieces of plastic molding! And it's not like he's complaining about his neighbor not mowing the lawn every other day or letting their kids walk through his yard. He definitely has a legitimate beef. How would you like it if someone got paint all over your car and house?

Anyway, to answer the original question, I'd suggest parking it outside on a sunny day to get the surface as hot as possible and soften the paint. Then go at it with dish soap and a *stiff* scrub brush. You might also want to try "Goo Gone" or a similar product.

Don't use rubbing compound or anything like that.. It'll probably get the paint off, but it will also rub off the texture and leave shiny spots on the plastic.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

I was just saying, given the low price of a piece of molding, it wouldn't be worth starting any kind of mess.

Now if we were talking about having to repaint the whole car, then I believe the responsibility would fall primarily on the contractor, then secondarily on the neighbor, since he hired the contractor.

Me, I'd pay to have my neighbor's car repainted, simply because I would ultimately feel it was my responsibility, because I hired the contractor, and secondly because I prefer to have a peaceful environment, especially for my kids, to live in. No need making mountains out of molehills.

I just find it sad that people let situations like this escalate into something nasty. It's as though the need to "win" outweighs the need to keep the peace.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information