My new 09 RHD CTS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new 09 RHD CTS

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 patrickbec's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RHD:09 CTS,07 SRX/ LHD:13 ATS

My new 09 RHD CTS

Those of you who have read my posts know I have been planning to get a CTS once it made it to South Africa. It did, so I got my CTS on Monday. So far, so great! Here are a few pics (no need for you Yanks to thank me for reducing the US trade deficit!)

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture208.jpg
    http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture205.jpg
    http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture209.jpg
    http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture202.jpg
    http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture203.jpg

You can also see my facebook group Cadillac Lovers of SA for some pics ( http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18087887970 )

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: My new 09 RHD CTS

You have to reach hella' far to turn on your radio! LOL, beautiful car, and much congratulations on the purchase. Tell me, are there lots of 'American' cars there? What is the reaction to the car, to american cars?
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks

very nice! I will have to rent one next year

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Infiniti G35 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 91 s-10baja View Post
    Tell me, are there lots of 'American' cars there? What is the reaction to the car, to american cars?
    Also interested in this.

Gorgeous car, congrats!

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,375 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Congrats!
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks

beautiful!
    And remember to inform CR about the rattles when they appear
    And change Your avatar (I am not BLS biggest fan because it's as mundane as it's European competition)

Thanks

Congratulations!
    Those rear fog lights are integrated nicely, and the altezza lamps look nice too. Are you planning to smoke them?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

out of all GM vehicles the CTS is my second favorite.

Thanks
    My Ride

Tell me, are there lots of 'American' cars there? What is the reaction to the car, to american cars?[/QUOTE]

Tell me, are there lots of 'American' cars there? What is the reaction to the car, to american cars?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the kind words guys. To answer this question, no there are not that many American cars on the road. Remember, to be sold in South Africa a car MUST be Right hand Drive, so that exclud3es most US cars. It has been incredibly frustrating these last few years to see the US arms of GM and Ford not bothering to make their cars RHD. Chrysler was the first to make RHD cars and as a consequence huge numbers of Grand Cherokees, Cherokees and Neons were sold. They also sold a fair number of 300s, Voyagers. The Dodge brand was introduced recently a you see a fair number of Nitros and lots of Calibers (they sell probably 1300 Calibers per year). The problem is that all of a sudden Chrysler (and Jeep in particular) has gotten a very bad reputation for reliability- its even worse than Land Rover in our local surveys. The poor quality of plastics in the Sebring, Calibre, Compass, Patriot etc has also dented Chrysler's reputation, and thus its market-share. In my opinion Mercedes/ Daimler stuffed up this great company. Other than the Chrysler group cars, the only American cars on the roads are very few STS (I have only seen one on the road) and SRX (see about half a dozen). As for the reaction to US cars, it really differs according to how brain washed the person is- lots of car enthusiasts get all their information from Top Gear and British publications, and lots of our own car journalists are of British origin, so the anti-US bias comes through thick and fast, which regular people parrot. I have also found that people's taste in styling has been conditioned by exposure to European and japanese "jelly bean- feminine" styling, so reaction to the styling of the 300C and CTS is not always positive. That being said, there are lots of people who remember the US cars of years ago and love to see Cadillacs and Chryslers on the road. Lots of people hate the dominating German luxury trio and welcome something different, and of course, lots of people have open minds and will try something different. The reaction to my CTS has been very positive- regular people tell me they love it all the time- in traffic cars pull up to have a better look and give me a thumbs up. The most enthusiastic are the African and Indian population groups, the Europeans are more subdued. The only slightly negative reaction was from my boss - she called the styling "too American". She drives a Merc CLK.

Oh, two of our car magazines tested the CTS against competitors- Car Magazine tested it against the 3 litre Jag XF, Volvo S80 and Lexus GS300. The CTS came second behind the Jag although it kicked its Indian-Brit ass in all the objective metrics, including price- one more example of pro-British bias in our auto press. Cars in Action magazine tested the CTS against the 3.2 FSI Audi A-6 and the BMW 330- the CTS won that comparison easily.

As for smoking the rear lights- no I think I will leave them as is, at least until I see what other owners do- if they get them smoked and they look good, I'll consider it.

Thanks again for the compliments, and thanks to the guys at the Lansing Grand River Plant for producing this great car.
    Last edited by patrickbec; 10-27-2008 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbec View Post
    Lots of people hate the dominating German luxury trio and welcome something different, and of course, lots of people have open minds and will try something different.
    it seems to be a great country. I don't think I ever say something like this about people living in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbec View Post
    The only slightly negative reaction was from my boss - she called the styling "too American"
    envy is a bad thing. If she doesn't like American cars, recommend her Hyundai Genesis (if it's ever available RHD)

More pictures (especially showing both CTS and African landscapes) will be appreciated!

Two Polish travellers crossed Africa in a Fiat Panda last year and visited Your country.
    If they were able to do it, I will have to do the same. Expect my visit in a few months
    Last edited by powervette; 10-27-2008 at 03:03 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Exploder's Avatar
    Thanks

Those are incredibly good pictures. The CTS looks really nice and sharp in them. Congratulations on your purchase.

Thanks

Wow, I didn't even know they had right hand drive! Looks great!

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,375 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Whoa...your CTS has side markers. Are those required in South Africa?
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks
    My Ride

Smile Re: My new 09 RHD CTS

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Whoa...your CTS has side markers. Are those required in South Africa?
    No, only front and rear markers are required by SA law- I don't know why they did this, but it looks good! I think GM just likes to spoil its non-US customers...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 EldoFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Great color there......funky lookin lights/reflectors on the rear valance too
    When you turn your car on....does it return the favor?

Past Rides:
    '90 Lincoln Mark VII
    '93 Ford Taurus GL

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information