My 1986 Monte Carlo SS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: My 1986 Monte Carlo SS

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

My 1986 Monte Carlo SS

Well as said in my recent thread about the car, I got it for my birthday on April 5. It's a 1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS with T-Tops. It has the original L69 305HO engine mated to a TH200-4R. The car barely runs, but that's okay as I'm not using the car for another year. The plans include an engine re-build and possibly stroking it to a 327, re-doing the interior, a re-paint, and re-building the tranny and giving it a mild shift-kit. 3.73 Limited Slip Differential might come or we may just stick with the stock 3.73 peg-leg gears. We're going to get a new carb, camshaft and intake manifold and probably some LT1 heads like the heads my dad's Camaro Z28 came with.

My parents bought it used in 1987 from a couple in Ohio. We owned it all of that time and it's the car I grew up in. It was in MUCH better condition when we owned it. My mom traded it in for a 2000 MCSS about two years after we got it repainted. During the 3 years that the previous owners had it between myself and my mom, they basically ruined the car. They obviously didn't care about it that much since there's a stain in the back seat carpet where they spilt a Coke and didn't make any effort to clean it up at all. There were also cigarettes that they didn't clean out of the rear ashtray.

Work on taking the car apart will start within the next three weeks. We're just going to take off the entire front-clip and pull the engine and transmission out and send the engine off to the machine shop then get the car towed off to the paint shop to replace the 1/4 panel and get re-painted the original black with all of the MCSS decals other then the stripes. I might add a pin-stripe that goes from the upper bodyline on the 1/4 panel that goes all the way up front. I don't know if I'll keep the wheels black (I'm hoping to) or if I'll go back to the stock grey. Interior comes last, of course. Here's some pictures of the car:

\

Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My 1986 Monte Carlo SS

I've always been a fan of the Monte SS look. 20 years later, it still looks better than any import and most domestics. Fix that baby up and enjoy her for years to come.

Oddly enough, my birthday is April 5th as well. I bought myself a 2006 Pontiac G5 GT.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by W.A.F.U.
    I've always been a fan of the Monte SS look. 20 years later, it still looks better than any import and most domestics. Fix that baby up and enjoy her for years to come.

Oddly enough, my birthday is April 5th as well. I bought myself a 2006 Pontiac G5 GT.
    We're (or I) not making the mistake of selling it again.

Yeah, April 5th birthdays rule. Got any pictures of your car?
    Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Quote Originally Posted by rmodys
    We're (or I) not making the mistake of selling it again.
    GOOD!

I know quite a few people who've sold a car ... only to wish they hadn't done that ... including me. Which is why my family of MCs is here to stay.

Course, people keep telling me I need to add an SS to my collection ... maybe someday .

Enjoy your MCSS ... and be sure to give us updates as you make progress with it .

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
    MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
    Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
    "We believe in tomorrow, but we're stuck in today" ... Hall & Oates ... 'So Close (Yet So Far Away)'

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

Kinda reminds me of my neighbor a bit. Hes in his early 40s and he owns a beautiful 66' Olds 442. It was his first car when he turned 18, he sold it around 1986 when his wife had their first son. About 7 er 8 years ago he went on the hunt to track it back down, and after awhile he found it and bought it back. Hes restored it some, but it was in great shape with I believe under 70k miles on it still, and he drives it often in the summer..He loves the car and now that hes older can afford to have it and hang on to it this time around.

Not to get off the subject of your Monte, I just love to hear stories like that about buying back an old car, especially ones as nice as that 442 or this Monte.

Looks like youve got an excellent project on your hands, it's ashame the last owners didnt take care of it, because those cars are a gem when kept nice. Im sure with the sentimental value behind it, you wont let it end up like that again

Congrats on getting her back, it'll be fun to watch your progress as you bring her back to life.

Hoey

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

How's the car coming rmodys?

Thanks

Nice cars, I miss my black 86 & Silver 87

Looks like you have 87-88 SS wheels on yours
    Joe
    Hidden Content - Classic and Muscle Car resource
    My Camaro Hidden Content