Low cost solution to swapping out my wheels and tires and bonus Bluetooth Kit

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Low cost solution to swapping out my wheels and tires and bonus Bluetooth Kit

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Low cost solution to swapping out my wheels and tires and bonus Bluetooth Kit

As some of you know I have not been completely thrilled with the low profile rims and tires I bought with my G8 GT last year. Love the way they look and handle on smooth pavement but did not love the way they ride on crappy Alabama highways and roads.

After getting a suggestion from another thread about finding someone to swap wheels and tires with I took a shot and here is how is worked out for me. I was checking out some pre-owned vehicles in the area to see what people are getting for used G8s retail. Lynn Layton Chevrolet in Decatur had two identical Liquid Red base G8s with cloth.

I drove out there with my car and talked to the used car manager about swapping out my wheels and tires for the tires on one of his vehicles. He agreed. I waited about an hour at the dealership. I offered to pay the maintenance time for the swap out. He took it.

The service area was slammed with business. Lynn Layton has about 800 new and used vehicles on a huge lot with a separate Cadillac dealership on the other end of the lot.

$60 later I am on the road with new to me tires. The good. The vehicle drives much smoother and quieter over rough pavement and road imperfections. The bad. They did not reset my TPMS. Five minutes of reading my owners manual and five minutes of doing got the job done. They only bat about .500 of doing it right at my regular dealership. It is a too easy a task to screw up in my opinion. Also upon closer inspection when I get home I now have three chipped center caps.

No big deal. I ordered four new center caps from www.GM-partscenter.com and got them in about a week. After two hours of removing tires, popping out center caps, and replacing here are the results.

Old wheels. Pretty but not right for me.

New to me wheels and tires (Eagle RS-A All Seasons with about 13,000 miles on them. Still plenty of tread left.)

Chipped center caps and one new spare in reserve.

Interior bonus shots of recent Bluetooth upgrade. $412 system and Installation at Freddie Louis here in Huntsville.

I have to manually mute the radio when a call comes in otherwise it works identical to my wife's GM bluetooth except I get a multifunction screen to go through my phonebook which automatically transfers to the on board system.

In conclusion, they got big rim little rubber wheels that some young guy will go nuts for to help sell their G8 and I got a lot of peace of mind and an even more comfortable ride on my end. Win-Win IMO. No selling on Ebay and buying from Tirerack this time. Total out of pocket for this swap $120 and four hours total time between dealership and this morning's jack the car up festival.

Other observations. I noticed more rust on the rear hubs than on the front. I spent a few minutes cleaning and sanding off the rust from the contact points and lugs. It was minor but the owner's manual said to do it in chapter 9.

For what it is worth I do like the appearance of these rims better than the base G8 GT rims.
    Last edited by Hitman1970; 08-28-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,708 Times in 4,158 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Low cost solution to swapping out my wheels and tires and bonus Bluetooth Kit

Holy schmoley, those originals look like about 35 profile. Man that's thin unless you're a pimp.

New ones look much more reasonable. I think 45 is about as low as I'd go, that's what my GXP has on the front, 50 on back.

Despite their screw-ups, that's a reasonably smart dealer. I know folks who'd think you were from Mars if you walked in with that proposition.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Low cost solution to swapping out my wheels and tires and bonus Bluetooth Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Holy schmoley, those originals look like about 35 profile. Man that's thin unless you're a pimp.

New ones look much more reasonable. I think 45 is about as low as I'd go, that's what my GXP has on the front, 50 on back.

Despite their screw-ups, that's a reasonably smart dealer. I know folks who'd think you were from Mars if you walked in with that proposition.
    Worst he could have said was "No." The originals were 245/40/19s front and back as part of the Sport Package.

These are 245/45/18 which is the base G8 or base G8 GT tire size. The only other option that would not involve any type of reprogramming for speedometer or anything would be 225/55/17s (this is only acknowledged on the Aussie website for Holden Barina or as an alternate winter tire option on www.Tirerack.com). Going 17s would have been $1200 up front with the switch from Tirerack plus local mounting minus whatever I could get from selling my tires on E-bay, craigslist, G8board.com.... i.e. a huge pain in the butt timewise.

Is is amazing to me how much just a little more sidewall improves the comfort of the everyday driving. I have no clue why Suzuki Forenza's are rolling around here on 35 profile 17 tires. Ouch is all I can say for your back.

When these Eagle RS-As wear out I will look hard at some Grand Touring All Season V-rated options. Michelin Primacy that is manufactured in the USA is looking better than Run Flat Goodyear LS-2s made in Germany right now.
    Last edited by Hitman1970; 08-29-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Makes sense and I'm glad your happy. The car with either set of wheels looks great! Enjoy your ride.

JB
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,708 Times in 4,158 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Oops, I stand corrected. 40s. So much for my calibrated eyeballs.

Might look at Conti Extreme DWS, that's what I put on my GXP and after 4000+ miles no problema`!

Had to go up one size in back since they don't make stock size. Came !! that close to going to same size all around, which would have been 235.50.18. Decided to stick with Pontiac's brain trust, though, regarding tire sizes.

Hope those GY RS-A work out. Two cars ago my wife had some 17" (215.50 IIRC) on her '99 Sebring LXi. They were not impressive, and were downright entertaining in snow.
    Perhaps they've updated the rubber/tread formula in the last 10 years.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Oops, I stand corrected. 40s. So much for my calibrated eyeballs.

Might look at Conti Extreme DWS, that's what I put on my GXP and after 4000+ miles no problema`!

Had to go up one size in back since they don't make stock size. Came !! that close to going to same size all around, which would have been 235.50.18. Decided to stick with Pontiac's brain trust, though, regarding tire sizes.

Hope those GY RS-A work out. Two cars ago my wife had some 17" (215.50 IIRC) on her '99 Sebring LXi. They were not impressive, and were downright entertaining in snow.
    Perhaps they've updated the rubber/tread formula in the last 10 years.
    Continentals will make the consideration list with US manufacture too. The ContiProContacts we had on my wife Freestyle were pretty noisy. I do like the 540 treadware rating for the Extreme DWS.

This Alabama winter should not be an issue. If we are in DC for winter 2011-2012 I will be swapping them out before the first snow.

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Makes sense and I'm glad your happy. The car with either set of wheels looks great! Enjoy your ride.

JB
    Thanks, JB. I know the base tires on the mighty Corvette start at a 40 sidewall too.
    Last edited by Hitman1970; 08-28-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks

Congrats on getting a real sidewall for your car! It makes a huge difference in ride quality and pothole durability.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC WWI Flying Ace's Avatar
    Thanks

Great trade! Glad you found a dealer that was willing to work with you.
    2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
    2007 Jeep Commander
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    -Plato

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by WWI Flying Ace View Post
    Great trade! Glad you found a dealer that was willing to work with you.
    Thanks. It was one attempt and done. I can't complain with that at all.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Well, I'm really glad you feel it worked out for you. If I needed smaller wheels, I'd have someone pay me for mine while trading instead of paying a dealership to go down in size. No offense. It really did work out well in the end it seems. I hope you enjoy your new wheels on the Alabama roads! Take a road trip in it some time. You owe it to yourself now with the lower cost tires. Have fun!
    Hidden Content
    94 STEi - In different stages of done
    99 SLO - Tune, L26 UIM, ported LIM, N*throttle body, 85mm MAF, welded solid front trans mount, no EGR, no evap, and an intake

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information