Like Apple Pie (2014 Stingray)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Like Apple Pie (2014 Stingray)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Just reg stuff in the Garage

Like Apple Pie (2014 Stingray)

Only red. I've a 2014 Z51 Stingray That the Mrs & I drove back from Bowling Green a week ago. The plant that makes the Corvette is there as is the National Corvette Museum. There's an option when you build your Corvette for 'NCM Delivery' & it's worth it. If you buy a Corvette, get it built your way, & if you build your own, be sure to choose museum delivery. One of the things you get is a VIP tour of the assembly plant & it can rank up there w/some of the most special things you've ever done.
    My local Chevy guy couldn't get allocations & through the internet I discovered there are some that can & I chose one of these, MacMulkin, in NH. They were good people, advised me on the front end it would prob take between 8 & 12 weeks to go from deposit to delivery & it took a couple days over 8 weeks in my case. It's the first year for the new generation of Corvette, the 7th, & demand is strong for the car, esp for Z51. There's loads of drama to getting one at all, & even w/that plus the waiting, I'm glad I did it. The quality of the car itself sealed the deal.
    I've had it a week now, it's got 600 miles, & the car's been perfect. I've always driven older cars, mostly muscle cars & hot rods & this is my first new car ever. My wife's had 4 new cars & I've driven them plenty, we look at everything we own as 'ours' but those are kinda hers, & this is kinda mine. I initially wanted a Z06 but the earliest folks can get them is a year from today & we decided a Z51 would be enough. We save some money, we get it a year earlier. We give up ~175 hp & in our case (automatic trans) 2 gears. Here's the build -

2014 Stingray coupe 3lt w/Z51
    torch red (GKZ) / adrenaline red (705)
    black aluminum wheels (Q7T)
    auto transmission (MYC)
    magnetic selective ride control (FE4)
    performance exhaust (NPP)
    Corvette museum delivery (R8C)
    Visible carbon-fiber roof panel with body-color surround (C2Z)
    Competition Sport bucket seats (AE4)
    Sueded Microfiber-Wrapped Upper Interior Trim Package (IWE)
    Carbon fiber interior trim (FAY)

$74,605 msrp

There has been a recent price increase on the Corvette but we got in a bit on the front end & that was nice. We got 1k off the msrp & dealer waived the doc fee & those 2 paid for NCM delivery & hotel, food & gas. I retired early so I only put 4000 miles or so on a car in a year anyway & my plan is to keep the car possibly forever & still it'll prob never get to 100k mi in my lifetime. 100/200/500 insurance w/1mil umbrella is 550/year. I'm still getting used to everything this car does, it's complicated. I'm pretty old-school as re perf car driving so I tell people that to me, it's like driving a ps4. The best handling car I ever owned was a '69 Stingray, nothing I've ever driven since could match it (& admittedly, I haven't driven a bunch of stuff, esp newer stuff, or for that matter expensive stuff), but even w/just a week under the belt & all of it taking things pretty easy due to self-imposed break-in constraints, this car just surprises me. I couldn't even imagine a car handling like this Z51 does. Here's some pictures I took today after washing it, there's more from this shoot here - http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/su...?sort=9&page=1

I'm not a MaddModManiac but there's a few I have in mind, it'll take some time to sort that out. The 1st mod we bought before we had the car, GM splashguards, all 4. I put them on in the museum parking lot. There's not 1 chip in the paint anywhere yet, some of that I attribute to these. GM splashguards are a good idea for this car, the tires are like flypaper. So here's to USA & apple pie

married to 'Poolside', you find me doing pool maint a lot. One of these years we're going to take August *Off*. maybe.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZombiesAreComing For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (04-20-2014),LovelyMoon (04-21-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Re: Like Apple Pie (2014 Stingray)

Gorgeous car. Absolutely gorgeous.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

ZombiesAreComing (04-20-2014)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

Oops, I said pics after washing it today, then I put in only NCM pics. I'll add more now

married to 'Poolside', you find me doing pool maint a lot. One of these years we're going to take August *Off*. maybe.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

Thank you sfbreh. We're so excited about the car, it's the 3rd biggest purchase I've ever made, after a bad mc accident when I was 20, & our current home, so we get pretty worried about the money. But we have no kids & no one here gets out alive or gets to take it w/them, so might as well go big & do it now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ZombiesAreComing For This Useful Post:

mikmak (06-02-2015)

Banned
    Thanks

Nice car, and nice color choice!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VMax2007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Beautiful car. Congrats!!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsRace For This Useful Post:

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,202 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Verrrrry nice!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

Thanks VMax2007, LetsRace, & jzchev28 . Pontiac got us started on red. Really all the colors are great. I was liking ArcticWhite/Adren, & VelocityYellow/Black & even LagunaBlue/Adren, but the Wife esp loves red, we sold her (red)Solstice to get garage space & there's nothing in my life like her cooperation so red it is. I was thinking chrome wheels but she told me they were supposed to be black. & she was right. She said if I took chrome it'd show my age. So what the heck, the wheels are hers too. I better get outta this 'mostly mine' crap soon.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ZombiesAreComing For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (04-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,152 Posts

Mighty fine ride you have there!! Must've been a sweet experience picking it up!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

Thank you JimmyDiablo. The NCM thing is really really special. We had a retired (Corvette)assembly worker as our guide & he was a walking encyclopedia of knowledge. He said the plant is 1mil sq feet & 800 people assemble cars there, only 1 shift. The workers were happy like Santa's helpers, wouldn't hesitate to stop & say hi or answer a question. The degree of robotization there surprised me. They got solar on the roof.
    In the 2nd pic I'm in the pass seat, our guide driving, & when he started moving, everybody there stopped & turned & applauded, it was embarrassing. We bought the car, that's a small thing. The heritage of GM & Corvette & Bowling Green Assy & the people who work there, that's what's special. I feel very fortunate to just be a very small piece of it all.
    Thank you GM. Keep your head up.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZombiesAreComing For This Useful Post:

impala02 (04-21-2014),JimmyDiablo (05-12-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

Congratulations! The red with black wheel combo is a great look.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Smee For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

I am not a AT guy, but did you consider waiting til the 2015's come out with the 8 spd?

I do think the 2014's with the 6AT are going to take a hit in resale due to the 8 spds coming out a year later. Like in 2005 with the 1st year C6 with 4AT.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

Thanks Smee. One of the mods I've had in mind involves the wheels. I'm going to get a paint shop to paint the inside of the rim (the part behind the face) Torch red, w/epoxy paint. I'd have gotten the calipers in red, exc that I knew I was going to do this. Most GM wheels have this inside/outside configuration & I've never seen a wheel done this way. Hopefully it's not a flop. Black lugnuts & valve stem caps. If it's not hideous I'll post some pics of it all.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

Lol VMax2007, half the stuff I've owned was manual & I drive a manual pretty good, I think. But my Wife does not & I got a few brownie points for auto trans (hopefully). In retrospect, the auto works pretty well, I think, no paddleshifting w/o auto (1st I've ever shifted paddles), no remote start w/manuals, manual c7 having probs w/memory seat, auto is winning 0-60 & 1320.
    The 8speed was announced when I ordered but most c7 folks thought for 2015 it was going to be a Z06-thing only, & that ended up being wrong. 6th gear in the auto seems to me to be mostly for mpg even at highway speeds, at 65 in 6th it's about 1250 rpm or something. I'm not sure how much utility there is in 2 more gears. When powerglide became thm400 (3 speed) the extra gear was huge. 700r adding a 4th was still pretty big. I'm guessing the auto started outperforming the manual w/the 6L80, but to add 2 more gears to the 6speed? How much will laws of diminishing returns play in there? I don't know. 6L80 shifts faster than a manual, prob more difference between those 2 than 6 & 8 speed autos. If I get disillusioned w/the auto, tuners like Chuck Cow & others reprogram the trans & I've been reading some folks are pretty happy w/his work, so there's that.
    I'm not worrying about resale too much, it's not why I bought it. I'll worry about birds flying overhead when I have the roof off & folks pulling out on me & getting speeding tickets & hitting parking curbs w/the front end.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ZombiesAreComing For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (04-20-2014)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Congrats man! Nice ride! That color combo looks awesome. I really like the new Vette. Please keep us updated as you put miles on it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to FJAPCRZ For This Useful Post:

30. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information