I'm a Saturn guy... ;]

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Saturn guy... ;]

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 FightingChance's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a Saturn guy... ;]

... not in particular, but they seem to represent a solid value. I think I did alright (unless the car breaks, to which I'll curse it's existence)

"I cannot wait for the new fad to come along, one that doesn't involve making respectable looking cars look as though they were parked nearby when the plastic factory exploded."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: I'm a Saturn guy... ;]

Saturns are bulletproof cars. They're probably the best things to come out of GM... ever.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    Saturns are bulletproof cars. They're probably the best things to come out of GM... ever.
    omg that's so funny , the S-Series is extremely reliable don't get me wrong, it's the models that came after the S-Series like the VUE being a POS, the L300 isn't bad, but it's nothing special either, the ION is a good car though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

There are those who say Saturn died with the S series cars... VUE was pritty unique to saturn, but it was never powered by a unique Saturn engine, and now that it shares a platform with other GM crossovers and has Honda power on the V6 model.... Lseries was never all unique to saturn, shared with Opel... ION is not a real Saturn IMO. S-series does not die, people kill them.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

I liked the S-series when it came out, and I think they ruined the formula with the ION.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ElmerMCR's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    omg that's so funny , the S-Series is extremely reliable don't get me wrong, it's the models that came after the S-Series like the VUE being a POS, the L300 isn't bad, but it's nothing special either, the ION is a good car though.
    How is the VUE a POS but the ION a good car?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElmerMCR
    How is the VUE a POS but the ION a good car?
    Perhaps not the new Vue, but most Vue's from around 2002-2004 weren't very reliable according to customer reviews and with our Vue that we had. The ION's are a lot more reliable but suffered some of the same issues we had with our Vue (i.e. VTi Transmission).

Thanks

Tell that to my wife and mother-in-law.

We had a great experience with a 1998 SL2, but not so great with our 2000 LS2 which basically felt like it was about to die when the lease was up after 3 years and 44,000+ miles...At least we fell within the allocated mileage so it was an easy trade-in.

My mother-in-law loved her 2001 SC2 enough to want to buy it after her lease was up. I talked her into buying an Ion Quad Coupe...big mistake.

The CVT sucked and the car had other driveability issues. She basically felt unsafe driving it. Luckily Saturn did the right thing and bought it back and now she drive's an '05 Ion QC with the 4 speed Auto. So far it is trouble free and she likes it, but not as much as her SC2.

It's going to take a little more convincing to get my wife back into a Saturn over other brands. At least I have a couple of years to try.

I hate getting egg on my face when I recommend a car to someone. I hope Saturn has gotten things straightened out for good, we really need Saturn to be a shining beacon for GM.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze - 14,350 miles
    2008 Kia Rondo - 41,000 miles
    2004 Pontiac GTO - 71,864 miles (gone, but not forgotten)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomicshark

We had a great experience with a 1998 SL2, but not so great with our 2000 LS2 which basically felt like it was about to die when the lease was up after 3 years and 44,000+ miles...At least we fell within the allocated mileage so it was an easy trade-in.

My mother-in-law loved her 2001 SC2 enough to want to buy it after her lease was up. I talked her into buying an Ion Quad Coupe...big mistake.

The CVT sucked and the car had other driveability issues. She basically felt unsafe driving it. Luckily Saturn did the right thing and bought it back and now she drive's an '05 Ion QC with the 4 speed Auto. So far it is trouble free and she likes it, but not as much as her SC2.

It's going to take a little more convincing to get my wife back into a Saturn over other brands. At least I have a couple of years to try.

I hate getting egg on my face when I recommend a car to someone. I hope Saturn has gotten things straightened out for good, we really need Saturn to be a shining beacon for GM.
    That's why I won't be buying a Saturn anytime soon. It seems that anything after the S-Series is or was crap. The L-Series at that time was a nice car and when you look at the overall package it was one of GM's best midsizers however the 3.0L V6 doesn't give me a confident feel for reliability and it didn't seem to sell too well in its last 3 years. The ION without the VTi seems to be pretty reliable but you couldn't even pay me to consider a Vue. I'll wait for the new Opel version thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    That's why I won't be buying a Saturn anytime soon. It seems that anything after the S-Series is or was crap. The L-Series at that time was a nice car and when you look at the overall package it was one of GM's best midsizers however the 3.0L V6 doesn't give me a confident feel for reliability and it didn't seem to sell too well in its last 3 years. The ION without the VTi seems to be pretty reliable but you couldn't even pay me to consider a Vue. I'll wait for the new Opel version thanks.
    The LS2 saving grace to me was the V6. It felt really strong. Stronger than the 200 HP V6 in my old Accord. In my opinion the L-series was worthless without the V6.

You are right about not feeling confident about reliability. It was pretty good until 40,000 miles.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze - 14,350 miles
    2008 Kia Rondo - 41,000 miles
    2004 Pontiac GTO - 71,864 miles (gone, but not forgotten)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

The LS2 saving grace to me was the V6. It felt really strong. Stronger than the 200 HP V6 in my old Accord. In my opinion the L-series was worthless without the V6.

You are right about not feeling confident about reliability. It was pretty good until 40,000 miles.
    The V6 in the 2004 that we test drove had okay power but was really noisy at anything higher than 2500 rpm and sounded like an old 3.1L V6 at lower RPM. It was really nice inside, the materials were top notch compared to most GM's at that time but sadly the person who drove it, i guess it was a manager's demo smoked in it and it reeked like hell.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

That is really a first for me. I've never heard of Saturn's doing that. A former co-worker of mine got an L300(?) something liek that... and she's never had a problem with it. She had a commute of about 60 miles 1 way. It ran like a dream for her.
    My '90 SL2 ran forever. Only problem it had was the alternator going out after I replace the battery. My aunt's 95SL2 has never had a problem. Ever. Only in the shop for regular maintenance. Never had to call for a jump start, a tow... nothing.

Well... the CVT's were a problem. And Saturn wasn't hte only manufacturer with that issue. You can always count on Saturn to do the right thing as well. They'll go the extra mile for a customer. But now her ION is treating her well... so it ain't so bad, right?

I'll never recommend a car unless I'm absolutely sure of the quality and reliability and service.
    I do recommend Saturn and Saab. I won't recommend the G6, unless I know that this is the type of car someone is looking for. I won't recommend a Mercedes... especially for their service. (I got a few mechanics fired because of their incompetence.) And I can name 6 friends off the top of my head that will never ever ever recommend a Mercedes to anyone. I'll recommend Jaguars... so long as they know what you're getting into.

Cars like Audi and BMW.... from what I understand from my friends, their service leaves a LOT to be desired. Even their prices fluctuate overnight. And it's high priced. And I haven't ever received a glowing recommendation to "Go buy and Audi/BMW because of.... etc." It's more like a "Go buy the car.. you'll love it, but make sure you have the cash to maintain it and alot of patience."

Thanks

I like Saturns cuz they will be Opel, but I can't say I'm a Saturn fan now cuz they make the Relay and Vue lol. Right now Opel is my favorite brand; and I've never even sat in one!

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by surferdude00711
    I like Saturns cuz they will be Opel, but I can't say I'm a Saturn fan now cuz they make the Relay and Vue lol. Right now Opel is my favorite brand; and I've never even sat in one!

What's wrong with the VUE?? it's one of the best selling small SUV's on the market. And don't say it's because of the Honda engine. It still cranks out more power than teh 'Nox/Torrent twins. AND it's got a better interior than either of them.

Relay? Yeah... it's crap.

Thanks

What's wrong with the VUE?? it's one of the best selling small SUV's on the market. And don't say it's because of the Honda engine. It still cranks out more power than teh 'Nox/Torrent twins. AND it's got a better interior than either of them.

Relay? Yeah... it's crap.
    The Vue might be the ugliest GM car made today, if not the ugliest for what something could be. EG The Uplander isn't such a bad looking van even though its a van.
    Last edited by surferdude00711; 12-28-2005 at 11:36 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information