I may keep the Bonnie after all...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: I may keep the Bonnie after all...

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

I may keep the Bonnie after all...

My better half has insisted that we keep the 2000 Bonneville SSEi if we aren't going to buy something very close to it. Since that isn't an affordable option now that she's not working, I am likely to get something with good fuel economy in a wagon/5-door configuration for commuting. The Bonnie is nearing 100K miles, gets mediocre fuel economy and runs on premium. That and it is starting to show its 7 years of age in this or that thing needing to be repaired. Minor stuff like the windshield wiper fluid sprayer going out, and another window regulator sounding strange (like its about to go). About 4-5 of these little annoyances, but they'll add up. Squeaks and rattles popping up too. Rather than drive her into the ground, or trade her in for a pittance for an Impala, I'm seriously considering this option of keeping the Bonneville garaged as a weekend vehicle on my insurance until my wife goes back to work in a year or two (she wants to drive/commute in it). That way my girl will be happy, and I can have a fuel efficient car to drive to work that costs around 15K. And I can get a 5-door / wagon which I've wanted for some years now.

At that point the Safari will become a weekend/recreation vehicle on our insurance, and my commuter car and "her" Bonneville will be the cars driven all week. Of course I'll insist at that point that she fix all of the little niggling things wrong with the Bonnie now.

In a few months I will have paid off my Safari, at which point I will be heading for a dealership....I could end up buying from outside the traditional GM family, too (no, not a Toyota or Honda).

Why? Well GM card points I do have aplenty, but redemption allowances for inexpensive cars stink to the point of not really mattering all that much. As I pointed out in another thread, I have a business so I could buy a fleet Malibu Maxx with a 4-cylinder to commute in, but the GM card redemption and the rebates for the Ecotec Maxx are slashed in half for some inexplicable reason. In the end I could probably convince a Mazda or Suzuki dealer to give me a good deal on a wagon of the type GM doesn't offer. Or I might find one of the last Saab 9-2X's somewhere for cheap.
    Last edited by Ming; 12-21-2006 at 04:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: I may keep the Bonnie after all...

You must want a PT Cruiser.
    Find me at: Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter at: Hidden Content

Thanks

HHR? Isn't the Astra coming in all sorts of weird configurations?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Since we are probably keeping the Bonnie, my wife may be open to me driving what she calls the "too small" HHR. It is indeed a possibility. But she may say no. She actually prefers the Suzuki Forenza Wagon because of the size of the cargo area and all of the standard equipment for the price. At least it appears larger and feels larger inside, but that could be just due to styling and window sizes or shapes. Technically I would still be buying a GM (Daewoo).

Maybe I'll get one of the GMI guys in China to ship me the grille and badges for a Buick Excelle. LOL.
    Last edited by Ming; 12-21-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    Since we are keeping the Bonnie, my wife may be open to me driving what she calls the "too small" HHR.
    Is this car for you or your wife?

Thanks

She wants me to keep the Bonneville so she can drive it when she goes back to work. Neither of us wants to commute in the Safari.

Thanks

how about a vibe or waiting for the astra? IF there is a Astra RL, you can bet that I'll be in one in a heartbeat! (a manual one that is, with the LNF...otherwise its a SS-S/C all day long w/ LSD and High-Chrome rims.)

CobaltSScrazy

Thanks

Dodge Magnum.

Thanks

I'm so tired of waiting for GM to deliver a real wagon like the Astra one that its not even funny. Something tells me the white-hairs in Detroit will reject the Astra wagon (and me) yet again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    I'm so tired of waiting for GM to deliver a real wagon like the Astra one that its not even funny. Something tells me the white-hairs in Detroit will reject the Astra wagon (and me) yet again.
    Ok, well if not the wagon, then the hatch, idk that'd be the only one I'd get but for your family / work needs maybe you need a more roomy vehicle. Or so it sounds. Station-wagon that GM makes...hmm, Maxx/92x is probably closest you'd get to one.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE IMPALA IDEA??? I thought you were going to get one of those for the longest time? Moreover, what about the new Malibu? Especially if it gets 2.4 DI Ecotec II coupled to a six speed manual/auto?

If I were a betting man, I'd wager on you getting the Suzuki b/c of price, or that Mazda5-5door minivan thing. Possibly a wagon 3/6 (do they make a wagon 3? I know that have a 5door hatch of it?)

CobaltSScrazy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltSScrazy
    Ok, well if not the wagon, then the hatch, idk that'd be the only one I'd get but for your family / work needs maybe you need a more roomy vehicle. Or so it sounds. Station-wagon that GM makes...hmm, Maxx/92x is probably closest you'd get to one.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE IMPALA IDEA??? I thought you were going to get one of those for the longest time? Moreover, what about the new Malibu? Especially if it gets 2.4 DI Ecotec II coupled to a six speed manual/auto?
    The deal with the Impala is that now that buying time is approaching my wife asked:
    1. Does it have memory seats? (The Bonneville has loads of memory settings that change when you click one key fob of the 2 key fobs they give you - so the seat goes into place for the driver, for instance when she uses her key fob)
    2. Memory radio
    3. Memory A/C
    4. Memory side mirrors
    5. Air compressor in the trunk
    Not for the Ethanol Impala 2LT. I told her that those options aren't very common on a $20K car. So, she said "well then I don't want that to replace our Bonneville".... And she doesn't want some dealer giving us 4000 dollars for a car with options alone that would cost that much on any other car.

She says "the Bonneville has spoiled me" and now she refuses to drive a car that doesn't have memory seats....

The new Malibu will not come in a wagon or 5-door configuration last I checked. I'm also not too wild about waiting for any brand new 2008 models that will drop in value a half year later when GM suddenly decides that they need rebates after all.

I also checked on the Dodge Magnum base engine model. Not sure about the actual price after rebates. And the fuel economy even with the wimpy 6 is about the same as my 19/27 Bonnie (which has a combined fuel economy around 20mpg, unfortunately, despite mostly highway/country road driving).
    Last edited by Ming; 12-21-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks

What about a used Buick Park Avenue? It's a large car, it has all those options she wants, it's peppy, plus the 3.8 will go forever . I know I know, it's a Buick, but still I thought I'd just throw that out there...

Dream Vehicles: 88-91 Reatta, an early 80s Buick Wagon, or any 79+ Riviera
    Current Vehicles:
    2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Special NYC two tone Edition (1 of 300 made) 70K miles
    1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue White w/ soft top and red leather interior. 76K miles
    Dead/Retired Vehicles:
    1998 Buick Riviera ~105,000, and totaled after being rear ended
    1990 Buick Park Avenue ~300,000 loyal miles before death from oil starvation. May you R.I.P. Christine. Hidden Content

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information