Hardcore offroader: '70 Amphicat 6x6 AATV

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Hardcore offroader: '70 Amphicat 6x6 AATV

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Hardcore offroader: '70 Amphicat 6x6 AATV

I actually picked this up like 4 years ago in Wisconsin. The owner had it apart but everything seemed ok, so I put it back together. I couldn't get the original Sachs 277 cc two stroke motor to run consistently so I picked up a Honda GX390, 13 hp 4 stroke slightly used on ebay and a new Comet clutch. Its been like 4 years in the making but I've finally got it pretty well figured out with a few new chains and sprockets (there's a lot of them)

This thing's around a 1970...it's an amphibious ATV though I also think of it as being an American ATV...back then the Japanese were the ones that brought us good dirt bikes, 3, and 4 wheelers...we had boats with wheels. It's made of Borg Warner "Cycolac", aka ABS. The drivetrain and axles are on a steel frame inside the tub so the plastic isn't really exposed to forces. You've got two sticks and a throttle, with the sticks controlling a small transmission with brakes and clutches inside and a centrifugal clutch on the motor (CVT, like a snowmobile, go kart, etc) The Firestone tires have a max rating of 2 PSI...you can push them in pretty far with your foot.

And it will go anywhere. I'm working on the video footage but I've driven over fallen logs, steep ditches...its pretty sweet obviously with 6 wheel drive, crazy approach and departure angles, and a really low center of gravity. It's really slow in the water just using wheel power (like 2 mph at full blast). I need to work on it some more but I've added an outboard motor mount so I can at least use a trolling motor. It isn't too heavy...I can pick up one side of it so its not bad to trailer with my Forester.

It's pretty sweet having traction and torque...I was able to pull in the fishing boat in a great show of power lol. It's fast enough though...I can pull the leaf and clippings sweeper around the yard a lot faster than the mowing tractor can. It's crazy fun.

It's like unstoppable as long as your have the courage to shove the sticks forward. A lot of these old 6x6's didn't have reverse but this one does so you can get out of nasty spots. The Amphicat was one of the better ones and they're somewhat common as far as these go. A lot of these things were cheaply engineered (and thus they're not around anymore). All the chains and sprockets eventually do wear out and are tedious to replace. The ABS isn't that think and can be broken if you hit something. They often had hollow axles which are a common thing to have to fix on old 6x6's but the Amphicat's got forged axles. I have brand new seals for it which I'm going to put in soon to stop the slow seeping. It's said that they're "impossible" to sink due to the air in the tires, but nevertheless I wear a life jacket when crossing the lake (30-some acres)

Argo and Recreatives Industries still make 6x6's (and 8x8's).

Haven't tried them but I've also got an original set of snow tracks for it.

The pix and upcoming footage are from our cottage on Eagle Lake in Mancelona, MI, shot by my bro, with his Canon D30 (I think)

I didn't hit the water very fast...it'll make a lovely splash at full blast but won't really get you wet

'07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Hardcore offroader: '70 Amphicat 6x6 AATV

man I was thinking everyone would comment on this
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

It may have had more to do with everyone that saw your thread is now on the floor convulsing in previously repressed acid flashbacks

This should send them back again
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Oh and nice effort too. You seem to have a pretty handy talent when it comes to just about anything mechanical.

Hidden Content

Thanks

Holy crap that thing is killer. Is it really 6x6, or does it simply look it.
    I forgot about the banana splits, holy flash back
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks

on a side note remember the 'amphicar's?

Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks

Snorky, Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper....

Thanks
    My Ride

If you haven't played the theme song yet, don't. 2 days I've been going tra la la lalala la, tra la la lala la.

Hidden Content

Thanks

I happen to have been given, as a little kid, a 1970/1971 Auto Katalog (Germany's publication covering everything made in a given year that remotely resembles a car by my grandmother. I was thorughly fascinated by the then-in-vogue beach buggies, but the Amphicat was my no. 1 thingy to dream about having. Gosh, they have to be so much fun!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bouda's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw one of those amphicars here in mn a few years ago.

Thanks

haha I've read about the banana splits having those but never saw any footage except for the intro...a bit before my generation . Check out the two stroke smoke lol

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Those things are too cool. I always wanted to try one out but never got the opportunity. How do they turn because it looks like the wheels always stay straight. I guess the motor slows down the wheels on one side? I bet that does some wicked damage to the front lawn

Thanks

It turns like a skid steer loader/Bobcat, with power going to one side and you applying the brake to the other side...two handles, with a brake and clutch on each side. I try not to steer hard on the grass but its pretty light and doesn't do any real damage

Thanks

Smile Re: Hardcore offroader: '70 Amphicat 6x6 AATV

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    I actually picked this up like 4 years ago in Wisconsin. The owner had it apart but everything seemed ok, so I put it back together. I couldn't get the original Sachs 277 cc two stroke motor to run consistently so I picked up a Honda GX390, 13 hp 4 stroke slightly used on ebay and a new Comet clutch. Its been like 4 years in the making but I've finally got it pretty well figured out with a few new chains and sprockets (there's a lot of them)

This thing's around a 1970...it's an amphibious ATV though I also think of it as being an American ATV...back then the Japanese were the ones that brought us good dirt bikes, 3, and 4 wheelers...we had boats with wheels. It's made of Borg Warner "Cycolac", aka ABS. The drivetrain and axles are on a steel frame inside the tub so the plastic isn't really exposed to forces. You've got two sticks and a throttle, with the sticks controlling a small transmission with brakes and clutches inside and a centrifugal clutch on the motor (CVT, like a snowmobile, go kart, etc) The Firestone tires have a max rating of 2 PSI...you can push them in pretty far with your foot.

And it will go anywhere. I'm working on the video footage but I've driven over fallen logs, steep ditches...its pretty sweet obviously with 6 wheel drive, crazy approach and departure angles, and a really low center of gravity. It's really slow in the water just using wheel power (like 2 mph at full blast). I need to work on it some more but I've added an outboard motor mount so I can at least use a trolling motor. It isn't too heavy...I can pick up one side of it so its not bad to trailer with my Forester.

It's pretty sweet having traction and torque...I was able to pull in the fishing boat in a great show of power lol. It's fast enough though...I can pull the leaf and clippings sweeper around the yard a lot faster than the mowing tractor can. It's crazy fun.

It's like unstoppable as long as your have the courage to shove the sticks forward. A lot of these old 6x6's didn't have reverse but this one does so you can get out of nasty spots. The Amphicat was one of the better ones and they're somewhat common as far as these go. A lot of these things were cheaply engineered (and thus they're not around anymore). All the chains and sprockets eventually do wear out and are tedious to replace. The ABS isn't that think and can be broken if you hit something. They often had hollow axles which are a common thing to have to fix on old 6x6's but the Amphicat's got forged axles. I have brand new seals for it which I'm going to put in soon to stop the slow seeping. It's said that they're "impossible" to sink due to the air in the tires, but nevertheless I wear a life jacket when crossing the lake (30-some acres)

Argo and Recreatives Industries still make 6x6's (and 8x8's).

Haven't tried them but I've also got an original set of snow tracks for it.

The pix and upcoming footage are from our cottage on Eagle Lake in Mancelona, MI, shot by my bro, with his Canon D30 (I think)

I didn't hit the water very fast...it'll make a lovely splash at full blast but won't really get you wet

Mines more fun,. hehehe try 12 tires,,,,,, and i have 2 sets of tracks too...
    Last edited by Amphiman1; 08-21-2009 at 09:52 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

that things a pretty cool little toy.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information