Ethyl

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethyl

wrp
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ethyl

Ethyl is a 2004 GTO. I bought her new in November 2004. We put 95,000 miles on her with 80,000 of them being at 450+ rwhp. In May 09 we decided to go completely through it. First off the original LS1 running heads and cam for 85,000 miles only required honing, cam bearings, and rings and is back in another GTO making nearly 500 rwhp with forged internals, heads, and cam. In our build we initially started to put a 91 mm Borg Warner Turbo on but switched to a PD twin Helix Harrop HVT2300 supercharger. After getting it together we decioded to go with the 4.0 Liter Whipple to see how far we could take the Texas SPeed and Power built 408 LQ9 Engine.

The engine. We started with a LQ9 Iron Block built by Texas Speed. It has Diamond Pistons, Eagle Rods, and an Eagle Forged Crank. The entire rotating assembly is coated and the pistons are a -28cc dish. We put ETP 245 heads on the car and retained the 1 7/8 inch Kooks Headers.

Fabrication. We relocated the ECM to inside the drivers compartment and fabricated a coil pack relocation scheme with some modified GM Performance Valve Covers to clean up the appearance. We fabricated an AWIC reservoir with a front mounted heat exchanger.

Forced Induction. We started out intending to put a Borg Warner 91 mm Turbo on it but went with a Harrop HVT2300. Our goal was 20 lbs of boost since the engine was built to go to 1500 HP. The Harrop maxed out around 18 lbs so we went with the Whipple Sand Rail 4.0 Liter Supercharger. That Supercharger is a beast. We have seen 19 lbs of boost on the engine thus far with the OEM pulleys. We also replaced the 2004 GTO radiator with a 2005 Radiator to eliminate the large fender mounted catch can.

Fueling. For fuel we went with 83 lbs Accutron Injectors fed by an Aeromotive A1000 pump through a -10 an line. The -10 splits into 2 -8 an lines into the rails with an Aeromotive Regulator sitting on the other side maintaining constant pressure. We used the OEM fuel system to complete the return.

Clutch/Tranny. One of the reasons we built the car was to stress prototype Monster Clutches. Monster Clutch and SNL Performance have done all of the fabrication on the car. The T56 was built to go to 1000 ft lbs of torque using carbon fiber synchros, brass shift fork pads, steel shifting forks and face plated components. The current clutch is a Monster 11" Ceramic that went straight from the rack to a WOT pull on the dyno. That clutch has held for over 3,000 miles now. See a couple of Dyno pulls below.

Drivetrain. We turned our attention to the drivetrain with a complete drivetrain by GForce1320 including the 3.5 inch carbon fiber driveshaft, 8 inch tubs, coil over kit, 33 spline stubs and hubs, 300 mm CVS shafts, and a 33 spline spool using 3.46 gears. We will be running 14.5 inch slicks on 15 by 10 Holeshot Rims with 15 by 4 inch skinnies on the front. Currently have MT ET DRs, 295 by 55 by 15s on it.

Finishing touches. SNL put a Kook's afterburner 3" exhaust on the car. We added a FireCharger fire suppression system and Prosport AFR/Boost gauges. We've modified the GTO Shifter by adding a GMM Race Unit with an SNL developed Hurst shift lever adapter. Currently we are still trying to figure out how to get a hood on the car.

Suspension. Lovell's suspension components from Kollar Racing will replace every component in the suspension with new bushings, and fittings. We are also going to the Lovell's 90/10 struts as the car will work mostly on the strip once completed. We still need to complete the hood, add the Roll Cage, and completely repaint the body to finish the build.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGlBm6uQ0SI[/ame]
    Last edited by wrp; 01-01-2011 at 10:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ethyl

If you're not doing this for a living, you're in the wrong line of work.

Congratulations.

wrp
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    If you're not doing this for a living, you're in the wrong line of work.

Congratulations.
    Wow, I appreciate the comments,it would be unfair not to acknowledge there have been a whole lot of people helping me. I just had to be brave enough to really take a risk with the car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ChevroletTough's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado / 2006 Grand Pr

that......is.....freaking.....SWEET!

I've always loved those GTO's I almost bought one, but decided on my truck. Get a big hood on there, and we're talking!
    2004 Silverado Z71
    2006 Grand Prix GT

"Drive what you want, appologize to no-one" - Nailhead425

Hidden Content

wrp
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChevroletTough View Post
    that......is.....freaking.....SWEET!

I've always loved those GTO's I almost bought one, but decided on my truck. Get a big hood on there, and we're talking!
    Here is a 1/8 mile pass NA

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9xjwFRfacI[/ame]

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC BlueChevyGuy's Avatar
    Thanks

Great work done on that car - one heck of a street machine. Oh, I looked at a few of your Youtube posts - one that made me literally laugh out loud was when the guy in the other car asked you what you'd done to the car, AFTER you blew by him... and you replied something along the lines of, "just a Borla catback." Now that's funny right there!

Great looking and running car.
    Hidden Content

Current GM:
    2015 Impala LTZ V6
    2004 Escalade EXT
    1996 Corvette Grand Sport

wrp
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChevyGuy View Post
    Great work done on that car - one heck of a street machine. Oh, I looked at a few of your Youtube posts - one that made me literally laugh out loud was when the guy in the other car asked you what you'd done to the car, AFTER you blew by him... and you replied something along the lines of, "just a Borla catback." Now that's funny right there!

Great looking and running car.
    Thanks, the funnest one was the SL-63 AMG guy that asked me if I was supercharged, I was just sitting there thinking wow, the camera is running and I told him "no, I'd just installed a turbonator"

That one was a hoot that led to a lot of others as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZh1VSGUIjs[/ame]

And this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4103444436998#
    Last edited by wrp; 12-06-2010 at 09:25 PM.

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Legend. Welcome to GMI. I passed the vid on to my mate, whom pilots a WRX STi
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

wrp
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

[QUOTE=mikmak;2213408] Legend. Welcome to GMI. I passed the vid on to my mate, whom pilots a WRX STi [/QUOTE The untold story is that the STi driver and I have become pretty good friends over the years. We test our cars against each other, mod for mod He's gonna have to stratch a little on this last round of mods

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Wm Holden's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Ethyl

[quote=wrp;2213786]
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Legend. Welcome to GMI. I passed the vid on to my mate, whom pilots a WRX STi [/QUOTE The untold story is that the STi driver and I have become pretty good friends over the years. We test our cars against each other, mod for mod He's gonna have to stratch a little on this last round of mods
    WRP is a legend in the GTO forums...

Good to have you over here dude!!
    Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

Bought 04 to be done.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

wrp
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

[quote=Wm Holden;2213926]
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post

WRP is a legend in the GTO forums...

Good to have you over here dude!!
    LoL just MMOB. You've been a big inspiration for me. Here are some more STi vids

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trobf85xSa0[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmei1WF-sIc[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl2ruxaJR0M[/ame]
    Last edited by wrp; 12-12-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

So are US drags more 1/8mile than 1/4mile these days?

wrp
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    So are US drags more 1/8mile than 1/4mile these days?
    1/8 mile tracks are far more proliferate. The 1/4 mile drag still rulz though.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Wm Holden's Avatar
    Thanks

1/4s FTW!! Who wants it over in under 7 seconds??? I like the 10s and 11's!!

WRP...you are too kind..... the CAR is the inspiration...if I'm correct... =)

Hey..uh...talk to me in $$ signs..I have to smog here...but what in GODS name do have in that money wise...

Thats a brutal pull session
    Last edited by Wm Holden; 12-13-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

Bought 04 to be done.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

They use 1/8ths here to get around sanctioning. ANDRA only sanction 1/4miles

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information