Did my first brake job!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Did my first brake job!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Did my first brake job!

After squeezing 73,000 miles out of my stock brakes it was time to upgrade. A quick call later to the nice people at Summit and they sent me out their Ultra Performance Brake Kit with new ceramic pads and rotors (at an excellent price).

I've never done a brake job before but internet instructional videos made me confident (basic hand tools and a dream).

After spending a few brutal winters in Iowa and Nebraska I thought everything would be rusted to hell but I was pleasantly surprised at how easily the stock stuff came off (penetrating lube the night before helped).

A little comparison between the stock brakes and the Summit kit.

Even more surprisingly; the new parts went on relatively easily and bleeding the brake system was cake.

All said and done, if anybody is looking at replacing or upgrading their Silverado's brakes I can highly recommend the Summit Ultra Performance Kit. I saved a ton of money compared to what the local brake shop quoted me for basic replacement brakes and these work amazingly well.
    Last edited by RamJet502; 11-16-2009 at 03:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Did my first brake job!

Did you remove the caliper slides and lube them up as well as lubing all contact points between the pads & the caliper to prevent vibration squeel?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by W.A.F.U. View Post
    Did you remove the caliper slides and lube them up as well as lubing all contact points between the pads & the caliper to prevent vibration squeel?
    I certainly did, brake grease on the caliper pins and pad tracks and used Locktite anti-squeal grease on the back of the pads. No squeals and I can hear my exhaust again.

I also followed a repair manual to double check the internet videos I watched but the videos were actually more detailed and helpful.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    I certainly did, brake grease on the caliper pins and pad tracks and used Locktite anti-squeal grease on the back of the pads. No squeals and I can hear my exhaust again.

I also followed a repair manual to double check the internet videos I watched but the videos were actually more detailed and helpful.
    Congrats. You did a much better job than 99.9% of backyard mechanics would do.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by W.A.F.U. View Post
    Congrats. You did a much better job than 99.9% of backyard mechanics would do.
    Thank you, its definitely the most involved car maintenance I've ever done but I don't think anybody should be afraid to try the job. The only tools I had to buy were a T55 socket and a 10mm brake bleeder wrench.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

congrats Glad to hear your first brake job went so well. I remember my first brake job back when i was in school for my brakes class a few months back. Unlike yours mine was the brake job from hell. The pads had uneven wear,the rotors were warped, the bleeder screws had to be loosened with the help of a blow torch, and the replacement calipers had stripped threads and needed to be helicoiled. When everything was said and done the brakes worked great. As you do more brake work it'll get easier with time
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information