Add One Toy, Remove Two

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Add One Toy, Remove Two

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Add One Toy, Remove Two

Well, the Volt finally came in on Thursday and we picked it up on Saturday. I'll post pictures later, but first some news.

The original purpose for the Volt was to replace our Enclave whose lease expires in October. We planned ahead and ordered our Volt in May, but even still we got the last of Myers' allotment. Lucky us .

Up until Saturday we were a 3 car family. But times and situations change. My wife is at home much more regularly and so 90% of the time at least one car is sitting on the driveway. To that end I decided that changes were due, so at the last minute I opted to trade in my G8 GT. We're now a 2 car family, a Cruze and a Volt. The Enclave and G8 are gone.

Now, onto a mini review after nearly 200kms in 2 days.

First off, the car is unbelievable. This is the coolest thing I've ever driven. I've driven luxury cars from Germany, Italy, England, the US and Japan. Nothing comes close to this car. It is just unbelievable. It's just so cool.

First thing you notice is just how well laid out it is. The interior is truly stylish. Then, when you power the car up -- turning it on sounds wrong -- it greets you with a nearly Star Treky type whooshing sound, kind of like what the doors on that series sounded like. The dash and info pod light up and you can put the car in gear and move if you so desire.

But looking at the dash you realize that it's exceedingly well laid out. The main information cluster is touch, as is the centre stack below. Much of what can be done on the centre stack can also be done via the information cluster, which is fully touch. It only took us a few minutes to get used to the controls, although I'm certain it'll take much longer to get used to the information that you can get from the car.

The dash itself presents in an unobtrusive way. It shows the battery range initially, with a small gas pump showing above. Total battery range is shown beside the battery with the overall gas+electric range shown below. When the car shifts to the generator the battery is replaced by the gas pump icon. If you're not paying attention you won't see it happen. We were fortunate and did. If you expect something to actually happen -- like some type of thunk or thud or some other unrefined feeling or noise, you'll be disappointed. It's utterly seamless. You can hear the generator if the radio is off, but it's a barely audible sound. There's no shaking. The car sits perfectly still, meaning the generator is truly well isolated and insulated. The NVH efforts that have gone into this car are immediately evidenced.

As you're driving there's a little green Earth that you can try to keep centered to maximize your battery distance. My son is superb at it, getting >60km on his first try. Me, I got about 57km range, but my son did point out that I was rather aggressive with the car. If 57 is the range for being aggressive, well done GM!

As I said, we did 120km the past 2 days. The total amount of fuel used is less than 1 litre and the fuel economy number posted is 1l/100km. That's a pathetic 253MPGe. Shame on GM not giving me only the advertised 93MPGe. I mean, really. 253MPGe. At this rate I'll never visit PetroCanada until the new year!!!

As to the more pedestrian aspects of the car, the seats are wonderful. I wish the seats were power but I can sort of understand GM trying to save weight. I think it a bit silly, but it is what it is. The hatch design for the car is great. I much prefer it to the sedan style of the Cruze. The rear seats drop so you can lug more crap if necessary. The glove box is rather puny, probably because of all the extra stuff crammed into the engine bay -- which is remarkably tidy with nice orange cables slithering out of the Voltec box with the generator nicely sitting beside it. The only reason to go under the hood would be to fill up the washer fluid.

The car handles superbly. In fact, putting it into sport mode immediately brought a smile to my face. It immediately reminded me of the G8. It sat confidently on the road and spirited driving was easy. 0-60 may only be 8.5s (I didn't time it, just going by MT and other sources) but the Volt does scoot. The torque courtesy of the electric motors probably makes it feel much quicker than it is, probably a similar feeling that diesel drivers have.

After the first day we plugged it in and had it autocharge overnight based on off-peak. You can override the autocharge time by simply selecting "Charge now" (or is it immediately) from the menu. Quite handy on the weekend when the car comes into the garage and sits for a few hours before someone else heads out.

Even though it's been only the weekend I can safely say this is the best car I've ever owned or driven. I don't have a single regret. Plus, everyone I showed it to and took for a ride indicated they want to buy one as their next car. It doesn't matter what their current rides are, they want a Volt. In my group of friends I am definitely the earliest of adopters. Now that they've seen it they want to edge closer to early adopter for the Volt. As one of them said while we were driving around: "You're going to love not stopping for gas all the time. I'm jealous." The gas savings alone vis a vis the Enclave and G8 GT will be massive for us. From that perspective, the Volt will pay for itself within a year or two.

For those that will whine about it being less cost effective than a Cruze or some other compact let me just say this. This is not "some other compact". This is truly the future. When you're driving this car you're driving the future. You can't put a price on that, even though GM did. Everything from its look -- which is 1000x better in real life than in pictures -- to how it feels, smells, sounds, is world class. The car is no compromise. And the fact it performs as it does and all in an effortless fashion is all the more impressive. As I said, it runs on battery or generator without you feeling transitions. When in generator mode the generator shuts off at lights, yet you don't notice the shutdown or start up. It's unbelievable.

When you drive the Volt you can easily see where the money was spent. This isn't some halfassed car. It's a statement. It truly does remind me of the 1960s moonshot. Everyone at GM should be very proud. And after experiencing other hybrids I can say there's no comparison. The other cars feel unrefined. The leap in terms of refinement and technology versus any potential competitors is equivalent to the refinement of the Cruze over the Cobalt. It's night and day.

Finally, the dealer experience was excellent. Pity Myers has to wait until 2012 to get anymore. They have folks waiting anxiously. Hopefully GM ships them some more soon, but with the waiting lists what they are in the US I can imagine GM has some folks who've waited longer eagerly awaiting their rides.

Pictures!

Last edited by zete; 10-17-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Add One Toy, Remove Two

It wasn't clear from your review whether you really liked the Volt or not.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats on the Volt!

Condolences on the G8.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    It wasn't clear from your review whether you really liked the Volt or not.
    I'll let you reread it and re-parse it. I'm not going to provide any remedial grammar school education on my posts.

"Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Congratulations and best wishes with your Volt! Thanks for the informative review--anxiously awaiting photos! It makes me really want to experience one myself--and to think of the potentially "world class" Converj in the works!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,041 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

As much as I love driving the volt and as much as everything you stated proved true to me as well the few times I've had the chance to drive one..

Just not sure I would have traded in or sold the G8 GT but what the hell...you only live once and the Volt truly is amazing and an excellent luxury vehicle...

Its so quiet its truly fantastic..

Did you purchase or go for the subsidized lease deal?

2500 down and 350 a month for the basic vehicle is pretty dam impressive if you can stay away from too many options...

Best of luck and congratulations!
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    As much as I love driving the volt and as much as everything you stated proved true to me as well the few times I've had the chance to drive one..

Just not sure I would have traded in or sold the G8 GT but what the hell...you only live once and the Volt truly is amazing and an excellent luxury vehicle...

Its so quiet its truly fantastic..

Did you purchase or go for the subsidized lease deal?

2500 down and 350 a month for the basic vehicle is pretty dam impressive if you can stay away from too many options...

Best of luck and congratulations!
    We don't have those cheap leases here in Canada. So we bought it outright.

I had a slew of variables that had to be addressed as our lives change -- kids are graduating university, etc. So, I decided to adjust things towards how we're living going forward and the Volt and Cruze make more sense as our two cars than would the Volt and G8, for example.

My only problem with the Volt is the number of friends demanding to see it. The interest is nice. Maybe I'll see if I can garner a bunch of free lunches out of this .

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,933 Times in 4,272 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Wow, glad you're so amped up regarding your new Volt.

I might have to drive one, one of these days. As long as the saleshomie understands I'm not in ther market for a 40-large car.

I do hope sales lift off. And I hope the price comes down a bit.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Wow, glad you're so amped up regarding your new Volt.

I might have to drive one, one of these days. As long as the saleshomie understands I'm not in ther market for a 40-large car.

I do hope sales lift off. And I hope the price comes down a bit.
    I figure the 2013 or 2014s will probably come down in price, maybe a few grand. It really depends on scale. I figure once they're building 60k a year economics of scale will kick in where they didn't this early on.

What with all the new battery tech I've been reading about by the time Gen II comes out I can see a new Volt costing about $30k.

Thanks

Pictures added. Interior when I get a chance.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,371 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Dealer badging.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Dealer badging.
    The older I get the less I care. I have more important things than a little badge to worry about. Besides, they've been great at Myers and I have no qualms about the bit of advertising I'm doing . I got the last one in their allotment for this calendar year, so I'm not going to complain about a little sticker.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

You got my favorite color. The "green" plates are kinda cool too.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGS View Post
    You got my favorite color. The "green" plates are kinda cool too.
    The green plates let cars with them drive in the HOV lanes and get some other privileges, though what I'm not sure. There are also charging stations being set up in Ontario, so that means we'll be able to park there to charge up.

I figured getting a Volt required a Green Vehicle license plate. I mean, why not. Cool car, cool plates. And it'll make all those Prius owners jealous .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    I'll let you reread it and re-parse it. I'm not going to provide any remedial grammar school education on my posts.

No need.
    I can read giddy as a schoolgirl with a new barbie lunchbox from 500 miles away.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information