92 SL-2 and 84 Celebrity

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92 SL-2 and 84 Celebrity

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Taglane's Avatar
    Thanks

92 SL-2 and 84 Celebrity

Got it a few days ago and some dude hit the front already.

That's also our celebrity in the back. yeah it's a BUCKET, but that thing is zippy for like 80 something horsepower.

Hidden Content
    Don't hate. Appreciate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 92 SL-2 and 84 Celebrity

Nice SL2... It looks good for a '92! Was it ever repainted? How many miles are on the Saturn? Just curious... I have a '91 with about 200k and still going strong... Okay, okay, she needs a little exhaust work and the ever present motor mount problem needs to be addressed, but she never fails me!
    Have fun with the Saturn!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    Nice SL2... It looks good for a '92! Was it ever repainted? How many miles are on the Saturn? Just curious... I have a '91 with about 200k and still going strong... Okay, okay, she needs a little exhaust work and the ever present motor mount problem needs to be addressed, but she never fails me!
    Have fun with the Saturn!
    Buy an OE Motor Mount!

Old Saturns always look good. Ok well, usually. Some of them had the clear-coat jump ship, but those that didn't, always look great, even after almost 20 years!

Am I the only one that thinks Celebrity is quite possibly the worst names for a car, ever?
    Last edited by Uzzy; 06-10-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

We're starting to think it was repainted, yeah. around the door sills, there's like a beige color, then under that, a brighter red....I need a carfax lol. But yeah It's in pretty good shape. I think we have about 138K miles on it, and it runs fine... But there are a few things... For instance, we can take out the key after turning the car on and the sunroof doesn't work

Yeah Celebrity is a pretty bad name, but it wasn't that hard to make a name for her... we obviously named it "The Celeb"

rofl
    Hidden Content
    Don't hate. Appreciate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
    Buy an OE Motor Mount!

Old Saturns always look good. Ok well, usually. Some of them had the clear-coat jump ship, but those that didn't, always look great, even after almost 20 years!

Am I the only one that thinks Celebrity is quite possibly the worst names for a car, ever?
    The '91 model has a different mount than the rest of the SL2/SC2 run. They're almost impossible to find. I need the front mount, that's the one I cannot find. GM discontinued the part. I worked for a large volume Saturn store for a couple years. Our parts guys checked with just about every Saturn group in the country and could not locate the part. It's a common problem with the 1991 model. Looking online, I've found quite a few owners who have the same problem. Finding wrecked '91's with low miles is impossible. Apparently, the polyurethane piece on the front mount wears too quickly. GM changed the design for the 1992 model year. But if you know of one, let me know! I know the part number is 21011155... According to the print out I have from GM/Saturn dated 05/24/06 and confirmed again 01/09.

And yes, "Celebrity" is one of the worst names ever for a car! I was in my early teens when the Celebrity came out and I just remember feeling embarassed by the name... Then came the "Eurosport" version, which was even more embarassing!
    Last edited by Quixote88; 06-10-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

The '91 model has a different mount than the rest of the SL2/SC2 run. They're almost impossible to find. I need the front mount, that's the one I cannot find. GM discontinued the part. I worked for a large volume Saturn store for a couple years. Our parts guys checked with just about every Saturn group in the country and could not locate the part. It's a common problem with the 1991 model. Looking online, I've found quite a few owners who have the same problem. Finding wrecked '91's with low miles is impossible. Apparently, the polyurethane piece on the front mount wears too quickly. GM changed the design for the 1992 model year. But if you know of one, let me know! I know the part number is 21011155... According to the print out I have from GM/Saturn dated 05/24/06 and confirmed again 01/09.

And yes, "Celebrity" is one of the worst names ever for a car! I was in my early teens when the Celebrity came out and I just remember feeling embarassed by the name... The came the "Eurosport" version, which was even more embarassing!
    That's right, I forgot the '91 doesn't have the upper mount.

And I was very young when it came out and remember thinking it was stupid as a kid.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
    We're starting to think it was repainted, yeah. around the door sills, there's like a beige color, then under that, a brighter red....I need a carfax lol. But yeah It's in pretty good shape. I think we have about 138K miles on it, and it runs fine... But there are a few things... For instance, we can take out the key after turning the car on and the sunroof doesn't work

Yeah Celebrity is a pretty bad name, but it wasn't that hard to make a name for her... we obviously named it "The Celeb"

rofl
    Hey, if she runs fine, that's all that matters at this point!!! The good ol' Saturn sunroof... I know of many that didn't last past 6 years or so! But that key thing, whoa, I've never heard of that in an SL2, but I did see it happen in an ION! It also happened to my friend's Corolla!

Thanks

Hey, if she runs fine, that's all that matters at this point!!! The good ol' Saturn sunroof... I know of many that didn't last past 6 years or so! But that key thing, whoa, I've never heard of that in an SL2, but I did see it happen in an ION! It also happened to my friend's Corolla!
    Happens with most cars after the key get all worn down and such. It happened in my sister's '92 SC, my '85 S-10, my friend's '88 Cutlass Surpreme didn't even need a key to start, you could just tirn the part where the key goes in. I discovered that the worn key from my 2002 SC1 would open the door and turn over the engine of my sister's '92 SC is you wiggled it just right. But it didn't work the other way around.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

I almost bought an '86 Celebrity 2-door 5-speed years back... what a sweet ride! It had about 3 trillion kms so I got scared and bolted, but I really would like to own one someday!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    I almost bought an '86 Celebrity 2-door 5-speed years back... what a sweet ride! It had about 3 trillion kms so I got scared and bolted, but I really would like to own one someday!
    They are great cars. The only problem we've had so far was the taillight bolt thingamajig needed to be replaced. quick cheap fix and it's run fine with about 180,000 miles on the clock (how ever many kms that is)
    Hidden Content
    Don't hate. Appreciate.

Thanks

about 180,000 miles on the clock (how ever many kms that is)
    ~290,000.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Thanks

ah well there you go lol

anybody else see the front end shot of the saturn? it's not showing up on my PC
    Hidden Content
    Don't hate. Appreciate.

Thanks

ah well there you go lol

anybody else see the front end shot of the saturn? it's not showing up on my PC
    I see it. Looks like it's got some crust in the corner of it's eye...you might wanna fix that.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Thanks

lol yeah that's part of where the guy damaged it.
    Hidden Content
    Don't hate. Appreciate.

Thanks

I like it! I am pretty sure that was a factory color, but not 100%. It does have 1996 SL2 wheels though!! My brothers saturn sunroof quit working too! I learned to drive on an 84 celeb two tone coupe! great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Oh that is too bad, I can say w/ certainty I have NEVER Seen one in person. I would love one though! How about a VR?
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information