7000km update: Car in for Battery Fix

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7000km update: Car in for Battery Fix

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

7000km update: Car in for Battery Fix

Well, the Volt is in at the dealer getting the battery "fix". It was quite interesting that I rolled onto the dealer lot with 7000km on the odometer, probably hit 7001 as I parked in the bay.

For the curious, and so I don't repeat myself, you can see some prior information in this post: Didn't make it ... had to gas up.

I'm not going to go into a long, drawn out discussion. I'll keep it (fairly) short and sweet.

We hit 7000km and used 115 litres of fuel. The last fill up was February 12th when we were at 4600km.

Here are the stats some may care about:
    • Fuel economy: 1.6l/100km (147mpg)
    • EV: 5864kms (3,665 miles)
    • Total: 7001kms (4376 miles)
    • Total fuel used: 115l (30.4 US gallons)
    • Average kWh used: 29kWh/100km

For the observant you'll notice that the fuel economy is improving again courtesy of the warmer weather. Since we picked the car up mid-October we've had few warm days and have driven it mostly through winter months. That's obviously about to change big time with spring upon us and summer beckoning . I figure the fuel economy will dip below 1l/100kms (above 235mpg) soon enough.

I'm looking forward to the summer months where we'll be driving more. Golf courses beckon .
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,393 Times in 2,496 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Re: 7000km update: Car in for Battery Fix

1500 miles to a fill up?!?!?!? Nice.

Thanks

Thanks for the updates, Zete. I love reading about real world experiences of new vehicles, especially with a model as groundbreaking as the Volt...
    Your summaries are both concise and complete, which I find to be refreshing in this age where "professional" auto journalists go on and on about nothing in particular, forgetting that they have a subject to review. Unlike much of that crowd, however, you're fortunate enough to keep the Volt indefinitely!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Calculating 7001km across 115l (4 tanks of gas -- 3 I filled, one came with the car) = 1750km/tank or about 1100 miles per tank. And that's across the winter months.

Now that the warmer weather is upon us and I've gone 2400km since the last fill up and am down to less than 1/4 tank, I'm now seeing 2400+km/tank (1500 miles/tank). I figure, barring too many golf trips to the boonies or trips to the countryside, we'll be doing about 5000+km/tank (3125+ miles/tank) over the summer.

It's been unbelievable. Going from $400+/month in fuel bills to less than $60 is fantastic. And I miss neither my old G8 GT nor the Enclave nor the fuel bills that came with them.

Voltec is the future.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    Thanks for the updates, Zete. I love reading about real world experiences of new vehicles, especially with a model as groundbreaking as the Volt...
    Your summaries are both concise and complete, which I find to be refreshing in this age where "professional" auto journalists go on and on about nothing in particular, forgetting that they have a subject to review. Unlike much of that crowd, however, you're fortunate enough to keep the Volt indefinitely!
    I have nothing to hide. I provide all my data as it comes in from OnStar. I know a lot of people are interested in what an actual owner is experiencing. I have no qualms in letting people know. And as everyone knows, I neither baby the car nor drive it like a geriatric. I'm an enthusiast as is the rest of the Zete clan. We drive hard and the Volt delivers the range promised even when driven hard. When's the last time that happened? When I drove my G8 GT hard it would barely register single digit MPG. Drive the Volt in Sport Mode and drive it hard and I get 60km/40 miles range all day long! I remain utterly gobsmacked and if I ever meet Bob Lutz I'll give him a huge thank you hug for creating such a fantastic car.

Furthermore, I've been happy with the monthly cost -- ecstatic, actually. I've never owned a car that is this cheap to drive and drives so superbly. GM simply needs to get more butts into Volts so they can truly appreciate what the cars are like.

I'd buy a second Volt tomorrow, to be honest. In fact, if GM does the ELR right I might buy that -- though I'd prefer RWD for a toy. The only thing that remains undecided by me is the 240 charger. I'm sorely tempted considering our EV mileage would have been better if the kids could have charged the car up some nights before heading out after I got back from work.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Trek 7.5FX

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    7001km across 115l
    Awesome! My last 2 tanks: 105l for 934kms.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voltastic View Post
    Awesome! My last 2 tanks: 105l for 934kms.
    Amateur!

Thanks

Got the car back today. Dealer was great. They even returned it fully charged and filled the gas tank! Glad it was nearly empty when I brought it in!

They also applied a software update. Interestingly enough, when I brought it to the dealer the other day it was around 5c and I got about 52km of range. Today when I picked it up it was again 5c outside but I got 65km of range. So did the update truly just give me a 20% boost in range? And what's the range going to be like when the weather's even warmer? If somehow GM did something with the software to up my range 20% woo hoo! And for free! Unbelievable.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Keep us up to date which I know you will.

I truly wish we had somewhere to charge the car. I could see me getting rid of the GTO for it. Sad part is I would lease it as we would never recoup the tax incentive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Keep us up to date which I know you will.

I truly wish we had somewhere to charge the car. I could see me getting rid of the GTO for it. Sad part is I would lease it as we would never recoup the tax incentive.
    The Volt is the first true "high tech" car. Which means it's price will actually drop appreciably over time. Once that battery factory up and operational in Detroit certain savings are sure to be had. And then, as more and more batteries are made, additional savings will be had there, too. I wouldn't be surprised by a few thousand being chopped off the price come the 2013 model, which will be available in August. It'll be interesting to see how much GM can save as they continue to ramp up production.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I know. Im truly excited to see what happens in 2014. I'll be working for a year then, hopefully have the GTO paid off and would seriously not mind getting a Volt depending on our garage situation.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Awesome, keep the updates coming.
    I would also get the Volt if i had some place to plug in at night.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

Zete, I' sure you have documented this elsewhere, but can you remind us of the service intervals and the typical cost of service compared with the G8 and the Equinox ?
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

Thanks

Since I was doing about 2 oil changes a year on the Enclave or G8 I was looking at $250 a year, including the tire rotations and tire storage. The Volt after 6 months has cost us $30, tire storage rotation. My belief is the cost for the Volt across two years will be $250 (1 oil change, 4 tire swaps) while the Enclave or G8 cost about $500 for maintenance (4 oil changes, 4 tire swaps).

The Enclave and G8 required oil changes twice a year, plus tire rotations which were accomplished courtesy of putting snows on and then taking them off .

The Volt requires an oil change every 2nd year plus tire rotations, again done courtesy of snows.

Here's more detail:

• Every 12 000 km/7,500 mi:
      • Rotate tires. See Tire Rotation .
    • Every 24 000 km/15,000 mi
      • Oil/filter change
      • Inspect cooling system, engine air cleaner, brakes, steering, suspension, fuel system, exhaust, Voltec propulsion system, tire sealant & compressor kit, struts
      • Lube
    • Every 24 months or when change engine oil message displays
      • Change oil
    • Every 80 000 km/50,000 mi
      • Engine air cleaner filter replacement.
      • Evaporative control system inspection.
    • Every 160 000 km/100,000 mi
      • Spark plug replacement
    • Every 240 000 km/150,000 mi or every 5 years, whichever occurs first
      • Engine cooling system drain, flush, and refill
    • Every 240 000 km/150,000 mi or every 10 years, whichever occurs first
      • Engine drive belt inspection for fraying, excessive cracks, or obvious damage. Replace, if needed.
    • Every 10 Years
      • Air conditioning system flush and refill and desiccant replacement.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    So did the update truly just give me a 20% boost in range? And what's the range going to be like when the weather's even warmer? If somehow GM did something with the software to up my range 20% woo hoo! And for free! Unbelievable.
    It is possible GM opened up the hidden reserve that is baked-in to every Volt.. originally it was put there as a rainy-day fund to be used as the battery wears out (and also to slow down wear).. perhaps GM is getting more confident on the durability of the battery and is opening it up.. if it was so it would be all over the news so dont get your hopes up

Eventually hackers will provide a "tune" to mess with this, something that every used Volt buyer should keep an eye on. GM allows use of 65% of the battery, Nissan allows up to 93% of the Leaf's battery to be used.

Have you considered getting an oil analysis before the 2 year interval is up?.. sheez 2 years!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information