2012 Volt: 1000km Report

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Volt: 1000km Report

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

2012 Volt: 1000km Report

I was thinking, do I do a 1000km report or wait until I pass 1600 (1000 miles). But, being Canadian, better to stick with klicks.

So, we've had the Volt for 3 weeks. Here's an honest rundown about the car. For the lazy, I'll summarize: The car is freakin' amazing!

After 1000kms we've done 84.2% of our driving in electric only mode. We'd have fared better but a couple of long trips ate into our e-only driving.

The oddest feeling with the Volt is that you just keep commuting and never stopping at a gas station. It's been 3 weeks and not a single trip to the gas station. After the G8 and Enclave, where we were filling up nearly weekly, this is a huge change.

Projecting our consumption forward I figure we will fill up for the first time in January after putting 4000kms on the car. I doubt any other type of car can beat that, and be practical long distance, too.

The temperature has been getting colder since we picked up the Volt in October. We've seen a slight drop in electric range. Initially we were always getting more than 60kms, but now it's only my son who can manage that. I tend to get 55km with the temperature outside being about 0 - 10c. I do notice that the Volt gets much better range if you do just city driving -- we've hit 72km that way -- versus highway -- where we seem to drop to 52 - 55. My daily commute includes about 15km of highway driving and 20 regular city roads. I usually have 20km of range left when I get home.

We've also put winter tires on the Volt. We've noticed no difference in range before or after. I was rather surprised by that. The biggest difference is that the winters are on 16" rims so there's a bit more flex. Almost gives the car a bit of a wobble. The standard 17" rims and tires give it a G8 GT like feel while driving.

Driving the car is just pleasant. It just feels composed. A mature, well thought out vehicle with a space-age drivetrain. GM has outdone themselves in making it feel normal. And that's good, because one of the questions a lot of friends ask is "How does it drive? Is it normal?" I think there are a lot of people who think it must drive oddly. The only oddity is that it has the one speed and the lack of shifting is rather weird. After 33 years of dealing with automatics that shift, this has taken some getting used to. But it didn't take long. Now, if I drive the Volt for a while and switch to the Cruze I find the shifts highly noticeable -- as is the engine noise.

The quietness of the car is eery. Again, you get used to it, but it still garners looks ... and other weird occurrences. I've had drivers of Lexus hybrids roll down their windows and stick their heads out as I pass. I guess they're trying to see if it makes noise. Why just Lexus hybrid owners? I don't know. Yesterday I was filmed by a Toyota driver. Again, odd behaviour.

The only time there's noise is when the generator comes online. GM's done a great job subduing the noise of the generator, but it's still there to be heard. It seems to run at one speed and has that typical 4-banger, sewing machine sound. If GM builds a ULS-based Voltec they will need to use an 8 cylinder just to provide a proper soundtrack. The 4-banger won't cut it in my opinion.

One nice feeling is being able to just up and do an errand without worrying that you'll run out of juice. When the generator kicks in it's seamless. The only time I know it's on is if I'm watching the dash and see the battery icon flip to a gas pump icon or when I'm driving with the radio off and I can hear the generator whirring away.

Handling is something that is utterly surprising. I've had the displeasure of being in a Prius. It handles a bit like an ox cart, much like a Corolla. It's uninspired. The Volt, on the other hand, is fantastic. I barely miss my G8 GT. I thought the move from the G8 to the Volt would be more traumatic. However, the overall space-age feel of the Volt makes up for the lack of G8-like oomph -- 8seconds to 60, instead of 5, for example -- but the handling is surprisingly good. I've repeatedly surprised folks by taking turns much faster than they expected. It does handle as if it's on rails, which is due to that huge battery.

In the looks department it is an attractive car. Not as attractive as the Converj, which, truth be told, I wish the Volt looked like . But, it does stand out. People constantly come up and ask about it. Many wonder why it makes no noise while others are curious as to whether the ads are honest in saying you'll use nearly no fuel. When I tell them my mileage -- 1l/100km or about 250mpg -- they go slack jawed. The follow-on question is invariably about going more than the battery distance, at which point I say it has an onboard generator which kicks in seamlessly to take you however far you want to go. The biggest concern from most people is the price, but they are fully intrigued. Those that don't have an issue with the price invariably state they are seriously looking at putting in an order. It's amazing how many of these folks drive imports -- I'd say it's 80-90%. GM has done something impressive, they've got import car lover's attention.

The cost per day seems to be about $0.80 - $1.00. Most of our power in Ontario is nuclear (about 50%) with another 20% being hydro. So, 70% of the electricity is green. It might be higher now since we're importing power from Quebec Hydro which is mostly hydro.

We charge overnight at the off-peak rates. It seems to take about 7-8 hours to charge the car off a standard outlet in our garage.

There are some very nice creature comforts GM has built into the car. The heated seats are set to auto, which means depending on the outside temperature the seats come on when the car comes on. You can override this, but it seems to work well. The climate control can be set to "Eco" or "Comfort" (or manual). We leave it in Eco as it seems perfectly adequate so far. I'll revisit this once true winter kicks in. I have no qualms going to "Comfort" .

The seats are very comfortable and for some reason the Volt seems to have more space inside than our Cruze, at least in shoulder room. I do wish the seats were power and had memory, something that's rather odd. I guess GM wanted to save weight, but it's a rather silly savings in my opinion.

The infotainment system is superb. I was able to sync up my iPhone in a minute. Compared to my brother-in-law's 7-series, which took 20 and was a morass of menus, this was a nice change. I'm so used to having to fight with in-car systems that it was just so nice to do a couple of things and, bam, the phone just worked.

The touchscreen helps a lot in terms of configuring things. It's truly well thought out. I can't believe how quickly I grew accustomed to all the controls.

The centre stack has touch controls as well. My kids worry about whether gloves will work with the stack. Winter will let us know soon enough.

The fact this is a hatch is quite handy. It has allowed us to lug more stuff about. I do find the hatch doesn't go up high enough, but at 6'3" that may just be my problem. My wife finds it quite adequate as she can reach the handle.

Finally, getting used to charging the car was fairly easy. The first week we had to remind each other to plug it in. Now, it's second nature. You get home, you plug it in, you go inside. It's become automatic.
    OnStar and XM all work as expected.

Overall, the car is superb. I have no regrets buying it.

For those who want to hear negatives, other than the few minor points above, here they are.

The touch screen is always covered in fingerprints. It's rather annoying when sunlight hits it just right, resulting in a sea of smudges.

The backup sensors are way too sensitive. Backing out of our garage it sounds like we're about to impact something on all sides. It's rather silly that GM made them that obnoxiously sensitive.

The cover over the gear changer is rather cheap. I'm talking about the part where the lever slides up and down through. It's hard plastic. They could've done something to make it a bit nicer, like making it the same plastic that's on the door panels, for example. The rest of the inside is nicely done, with soft touch where you want it and harder plastics where you're more likely to kick or scuff the car.

The glove boxes are both rather puny. The main one in the dash is barely large enough for the manual. The one in the console is fairly deep, but it's not that large overall. That said, the little cubby under/behind the stereo is nice. A good place for sunglasses or gloves.

Other than that, it's perfect. I'm sure more things will crop up as they do with any vehicle, but for a first generation car with a brand new, high tech drivetrain GM could not have done much better. Good on them!
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Re: 2012 Volt: 1000km Report

This was a good review of someone actually experiencing the ownership of a Volt rather than working for Toyota marketing. I can guess why Lexus hybrid owners are curious of the Volt , its because the HSD in Lexus hybrids is notable for a surprising amount of NVH and engine on NVH intrusion.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Excellent write up, Zete. Very jealous. Many happy gas free miles to you.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    This was a good review of someone actually experiencing the ownership of a Volt rather than working for Toyota marketing. I can guess why Lexus hybrid owners are curious of the Volt , its because the HSD in Lexus hybrids is notable for a surprising amount of NVH and engine on NVH intrusion.
    Today a woman at a mall walked over to us because our car was, to use her words, "making no noise yet moving effortlessly through the parking lot". We smiled at her and said it was an electric car. She said she'd never seen anything like it, totally quiet. She said it was quite cool and just had to ask us about it. She was disappointed at the price but I told it will come down. She said if it does she'll get one. She came out of the mall at the same time we did and stood as we pulled away and just shook her head. The car truly impressed her, it seems.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    Excellent write up, Zete. Very jealous. Many happy gas free miles to you.
    Thanks.

One thing I've been wondering is what the Volt will feel like without those low-resistance tires. Maybe in a few years when these tires need replacing I'll buy something with a bit more resistance to see how it handles. Losing a few kms of range may be well worth it .

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

You make me want to buy a Volt sooooo bad, lol.
    Congratulations on the amazing car! I saw one today walking though downtown, and I just couldn't stop looking at it.
    Hidden Content
    Present Ride: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS: 80,000 Miles

Past Rides:
    2002 Buick Park Avenue: 224,600 Miles
    1996 Buick Riviera: 188,800 Miles
    1995 Pontiac Trans Sport: 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 12-6-2017

Thanks

Zete, excellent write up... I always enjoy reading reviews of personal vehicles owned by educated souls. Before reading your post, I expected your review to be honest and straightforward. I was not disappointed.

I'm glad your Volt is a joy to own at this point in time, and I truly hope that continues... Not only for you, but for GM as well. It's the Volt owners, I believe, that will make the difference in this car being a long term success, not just a short term high tech curiosity and/or fad.

Best wishes for many more happy miles/kilometers!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Have you driven the Volt with the battery fully depleted, and if so, what was your experience?
    I test-drove a just-arrived uncharged Volt at the dealership on Thursday, and it seemed a bit strange to me, with the car accelerating without noise, then the generator came on and ran for a while, droning on for a few minutes. I didn't drive it very far, but the gas mpg read 21.2 mpg. It was only a 2.5 mile trip, but the range dropped from 65 miles to 58 miles in that time.
    Your thoughts?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    Today a woman at a mall walked over to us because our car was, to use her words, "making no noise yet moving effortlessly through the parking lot". We smiled at her and said it was an electric car. She said she'd never seen anything like it, totally quiet. She said it was quite cool and just had to ask us about it. She was disappointed at the price but I told it will come down. She said if it does she'll get one. She came out of the mall at the same time we did and stood as we pulled away and just shook her head. The car truly impressed her, it seems.
    I've been getting that with my Escape Hybrid for 4 years now. Some people really hate not being able to hear it.

Maybe they shouldn't walk down the MIDDLE of the parking lot, and stick to the sides instead. Ya know, share the roadway?

Nah. Never happen.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Zete, excellent review!

Wish you MANY "petro free" km ....

From the other thread

Originally Posted by 44 mpg by 2010
    Zete ...

Do you have any recosrd of kWh used for those we've done 948kms, 790 in electric that you would share?
    I haven't really tracked that and I'm not sure if I'll get a report from OnStar re: that. However, today we used 7kWh for 35 kms.

Let's use that as average even though the temperature outside is about 3c and we'd be looking at 158kWh for those 790kms. Probably less since we were getting about 10% better mileage before the weather got cold. Say, 150 for argument's sake.

Hope that helps you.
    I suspect the the on-board instrumentation energy measurement is kWh (or kWh/km) from the battery ... I am specifically interested in ENERGY consumed from your power company for VOLT operation in terms of kWh/100 km.

But, considering that you are using "preheat" that would confound the kWh/100 km as well ...

Oh well ... I thought I would ask. Thanks for trying!

HAPPY MOTORING .... and may YOUR engine seldom be needed!

ENJOY!!!
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Trek 7.5FX

Nice review and

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    Many wonder why it makes no noise while others are curious as to whether the ads are honest in saying you'll use nearly no fuel. When I tell them my mileage -- 1l/100km or about 250mpg -- they go slack jawed. The follow-on question is invariably about going more than the battery distance, at which point I say it has an onboard generator which kicks in seamlessly to take you however far you want to go.
    that is just awesome

Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,005 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Nice write-up! Two questions:

Just curious (I'm in the USA) - does the Canadian government offer rebates/tax incentives as does the American government?

As I've been busy with the chainsaw due to the NorEaster we got last weekend (14 inches of wet snow on our trees - no power for almost a week - lost many trees that still had leaves). Any indication how the Volt will run in the snow? Either firsthand experience or have you heard anything?

I've test driven the Volt and walked away extremely impressed - enjoy the Volt!!!!!!
    Last edited by BlackGTP; 11-06-2011 at 07:55 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Fantastic review.

One question - the trolls keep talking about the engine running on its own to keep the battery within operating range in the winter. Have you observed this behavior? I almost don't believe it because what if its in a closed garage and you forgot to plug it in?

Or would the engine just run in that scenario as soon as you started driving, even with significant charge on the battery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Fantastic review.

One question - the trolls keep talking about the engine running on its own to keep the battery within operating range in the winter. Have you observed this behavior? I almost don't believe it because what if its in a closed garage and you forgot to plug it in?

Or would the engine just run in that scenario as soon as you started driving, even with significant charge on the battery.
    The Volt is equipped with a battery thermal management system, which electrically heats and cools the battery to keep it in proper operating range. Think of it as an electric HVAC system just for the batteries, which helps in range and in battery health.

Leaf doesn't have this; Leaf relies on ambient temperatures for cooling, and internal heat for heating; the Leaf, without active thermal management, would be a poor choice in areas like Southern Ontario, where winters can hit -20C, and summers can be up to 40C.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

One of the few cars in the entire automotive industry that actually fits the over used "game changer" monicker.

Congrats to GM!

Is the Converj actually supposed to stay a coupe like the concept car or is that a pipe dream?
    Last edited by big swede; 11-06-2011 at 10:13 AM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information