2005 G6 V6: Haters Step Aside!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 G6 V6: Haters Step Aside!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Colorado Crew Z71 4x4

2005 G6 V6: Haters Step Aside!

Mrs. D and I had to tend to a family emergency which resulted in us getting out of bed at OMG o'clock yesterday to hit the road by 5:00 a.m. We covered a bit over 800 miles arriving back home around 12:15 this morning. We were both sleepy but felt amazingly well as you can after 800 miles in a day in any car.

We went up I81, east on I84, up the Thruway. Return trip was Thruway, I78 and back south on I81.

The car did great. Cruise set at 70-75 mph and accelerating uphill effortlessly when I pushed the electrically-connected pedal. It also managed 33.8 mpg (87 octane) as measured by the odo and the pump. (BTW, gas in Port Jervis NJ is $3.669. Everywhere in NY it was at least $4.049 (10% difference!).

As its now 6 years old, I expect Mrs. D to start hinting at replacing it soon. It has been a bit of a maintenance nightmare. See below:

Two recalls the first year:
    - Replacement page in the owners manual for the details on the LATCH system.
    - Checking the torque on a drive pulley bolt.

Following the OLM, we had to cover a number of oil changes:
    - First oil change/rotate tires in 2006
    - Second oil change/rotate tires in 2007
    - Third oil change/rotate tires in 2008
    - Fourth oil change/rotate tires in 2009
    - Fifth oil change/rotate tires in 2010
    - Sixth oil change/rotate tires in 2011

Repair costs this year have been exorbitant!
    $25 for adjusting the parking brake and cleaning/lubing the trunk release as the key fob/interior button wouldn't open it. You had to use the key! (Should I report this as an electrical or body problem?)

Obviously, YMMV but I really just shake my head when someone talks about what a POS the G6 is. GM quit making them after the BK filing in 2010 but not before rebadging them as the 2008 Saturn Aura and 2008 Chevy Malibu.

(Seriously, ours has been a dream. Sorry if yours wasn't.)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac

Re: 2005 G6 V6: Haters Step Aside!

Don't you have to do an oil change every 3,000-4,000 miles.

Thanks
    My Ride

Not if you follow the OLM. When it's down to 10% life remaining or once per year (whichever comes first).
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 F150, '09 G37, '10 R6

That's great! It is good to hear you love the G6 and I always like to hear of GM success stories, even if it is one car at a time!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgill16 View Post

He might be driving low miles per year, and according to GM, you only have to change the oil when the car tells you to or at least once a year. I follow this, but it's always more than once a year for me (2-3 times) and I use only Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

To the OP, the Aura and (current) Malibu are not exactly re-badges in the old sense. They share a similar version of the Epsilon platform. All they really share on the outside is windshield and roof shape.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Sorry to hear about your family emergency 4x4x4doors, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your road-trip up to NY and that your G6 performed faultlessly while delivering tremendously frugal economy.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
    He might be driving low miles per year, and according to GM, you only have to change the oil when the car tells you to or at least once a year. I follow this, but it's always more than once a year for me (2-3 times) and I use only Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

To the OP, the Aura and (current) Malibu are not exactly re-badges in the old sense. They share a similar version of the Epsilon platform. All they really share on the outside is windshield and roof shape.
    Truth behind the story:
    -That car gets less than 6K miles per year. It rolled 34K on our speed run to NY.

- I know the 'Bu and Aura weren't exactly re-badges. That was a shot at the folks who say that Pontiac only sold re-badges that cite the G6 as a re-badge of the previous 'Bu.

On OLMs: The G5 will go 11,500 before 10%. The Colorado has never hit the 10% mark. It gets driven about 10K miles annually.
    Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

Our 2008 3.5 coupe has been great as well. We hit 50k last week. I follow the OLM and the maintenance schedule in the manual to a "T." The only problem we've had was the EBCM replaced under warranty around 20k.

I put new pads all the way around about 5k miles ago (rears didn't need it, but I took advantage of the GM service special, so it was moot). Take care of your car and it will take care of you!

Quote Originally Posted by jgill16 View Post
    People still follow this routine?
    Last edited by demonspeed; 05-27-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

My '06 G6 was a bit of a clunker.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4doors View Post
    Truth behind the story:
    -That car gets less than 6K miles per year. It rolled 34K on our speed run to NY.

- I know the 'Bu and Aura weren't exactly re-badges. That was a shot at the folks who say that Pontiac only sold re-badges that cite the G6 as a re-badge of the previous 'Bu.

On OLMs: The G5 will go 11,500 before 10%. The Colorado has never hit the 10% mark. It gets driven about 10K miles annually.
    My Astra tells me I could get 11,000 miles per oil change, I do mostly highway miles. However, even at the young age of 20 I have it set in my mind that it should be every 3,000 miles. So I usually let it go to like 5,000 miles. Maybe I'll ease into it, but I don't think I could just not change it after 11,000 miles, it would drive me nuts.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
    My Astra tells me I could get 11,000 miles per oil change, I do mostly highway miles. However, even at the young age of 20 I have it set in my mind that it should be every 3,000 miles. So I usually let it go to like 5,000 miles. Maybe I'll ease into it, but I don't think I could just not change it after 11,000 miles, it would drive me nuts.
    Change your thinking. My 1995 Camaro gets changed at about the 5000 mile interval (twice a year). This isn't oil from the 70s, a lot has changed. My Jetta is 10,000 km (6250 miles) between oil changes and it is 7 years old. Just check your oil once a week and make sure it looks good and you see nothing out of the ordinary.
    1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
    210,725 km
    130,938 miles

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
    I suggest you use a good quality synthetic. But be sure to check the level periodically, as it is still not unusual to consume a quart or two between oil changes. Especially if the OCI is extended, as they now tend to be.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

I think the G6 is the best looking of the Malibu/G6/Aura bunch. I especially like the coupe and the convertible. The GTP/GXP models were especially nice.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

Thanks

I like the G6 and would've purchased one new if the only dealer around here who had a manual coupe in stock didn't play games with me...(I won't go into that story)

The same week that I didn't purchase the G6, I saw pre-production photos of the Aura. Though it wasn't going to be offered with a manual tranny, I never once thought about purchasing a G6 again. (My original plan was to simply order a manual tranny G6 coupe from a better dealer) The Aura was just superior to the G6 in every way, even after the G6's 2009.5 MCE.

Though the Aura and '08 Malibu were superior to the G6, it was still a decent car in its own rite.(But that center stack prior to 2009.5 was atrocious!) I'm glad you've been happy with your purchase.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 2,107 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    My '06 G6 was a bit of a clunker.
    My 05, while not a clunker, was a very frustrating car to own. I gave it to my parents, when their Grand Am was totaled. Every 3 months, there's a Check Engine light. I haven't heard him complain so much about a car since he owned a Phoenix. If he keeps complaining, I'm going to buy him that CC he keeps talking about, so we can finally be done with that wretched G6.

Look, the G6 ran well. It's never left anyone stranded on the roadside. But the small things like the misaligned sun visors, the squeaky sunroof after 6 months, the creaks in the door and IP, the hit or miss electrical steering, inability to turn accurately at slow speeds, extremely diffuse headlights, and uncomfortable seats beyond 1 hour drive time, really make you wonder just how much time Pontiac put into designing the G6.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information