1986 Holden VL Calais and VL SL

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 1986 Holden VL Calais and VL SL

Thanks

1986 Holden VL Calais and VL SL

These are our 2 Commodores.

The gold one is mine. It's just a stock RB30E 5 Speed. Nothing flattering at all.

The red one is dad's. It's a worked 4.9L V8, with a re-built 3 Speed Auto and shift kit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 1986 Holden VL Calais and VL SL

Nice

I would have asked you for photos for WP, but unfortunately for me, they are modded

Thanks

those are awesome, are they both V8's? The wheels on the gold one look like GTO wheels, I guess for you they would be Monaro wheels correct? You guys have the coolest cars, those look really good for 80's cars. The only 80's car on the road over here are rusty F-bodys & Fox body Mustangs, and a few jank Chevy Celebrities & Corsicas, nothing cool like those cars of yours. Is there a like US model of that car?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorzl1
    those are awesome, are they both V8's? The wheels on the gold one look like GTO wheels, I guess for you they would be Monaro wheels correct? You guys have the coolest cars, those look really good for 80's cars. The only 80's car on the road over here are rusty F-bodys & Fox body Mustangs, and a few jank Chevy Celebrities & Corsicas, nothing cool like those cars of yours. Is there a like US model of that car?
    Nah mine is a EFI 3.0L Inline 6 (Nissan RB30E).

Yes you are correct, they are similar to the GTO wheels, but these are off a VY SS Commodore.

Our Monaro wheels, are different.

Also there is no U.S model of the VL. They are based off a European Opel (Can't remember, the exact model).
    Last edited by GMH-VL; 07-18-2006 at 03:32 AM.

Thanks

how cool it would be, yet it would kinda suck to have an aftermarket stereo like the ones in your pics from out there over here in north america with the main controls on the other side.just cause its different.but anyways you got some sweet lookin rides there.I love the red one.

Thanks

The first VB Commodore was based on the Opel Rekord and Opel Senator, Opel's large and lusury offerings at that time (the body looked on the outside like an Opel Rekord with a Senator front, as the original Rekord engine bay could not accomodate big Holden engines). There were quite numerous modifications to Opel designs, and many underpinnings were carried over from the Kingswood. Later the Opels and Commodores had pretty independent development paths, but you can see some resemblance between Opel Senator A and Commodore VL.

Thanks

That calais looks really tough. The golden roller is a good start too... Not that a little forced induction wouldnt go astray

BTW If you come back bravada, any idea whether the late 80's senator plastic will fit a vn commodore? I got a mate who's looking for something a little different for his fully imported trd toyota lexcen.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Quote Originally Posted by GMH-VL
    Nah mine is a EFI 3.0L Inline 6 (Nissan RB30E).

Yes you are correct, they are similar to the GTO wheels, but these are off a VY SS Commodore.

Our Monaro wheels, are different.

Also there is no U.S model of the VL. They are based off a European Opel (Can't remember, the exact model).
    Are the wheels on the Old Gold 17" or 18" ? Do they fit easily (no mods) under the wheel arch? I've been thinking of some later wheels for my VH. I was thinking along the lines of Interceptors or VX SS.

I read that they have changed the stud pattern and offset on the VE wheels. The great Commodore wheel swap games are coming to a close.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada
    Nice

I would have asked you for photos for WP, but unfortunately for me, they are modded
    They are not very modded externally, Bravada. Wheels mainly, maybe ride height - the rest looks pretty stock.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

Thanks

Hey guys.

It's been a number of years since I've posted up pics of my VL, but here's a few from a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't changed the general look, but I have changed some of the interior. I wanted a more factory look, because I was getting over the Momo stuff.

This baby needs a V8 now.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

So you need a V8 so you can spend more on petrol. What you have now looks pretty fine to me.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements