VW Golf

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: VW Golf

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,138 Times in 4,378 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

VW Golf

Drove a Golf today, unlikely candidate as it is. The salesperson was a girl. Girl, not woman. She was new, and she didn't know anything.
    Like what "chassis" or "platform" means. Deer in headlights.
    The other sales staff I casually interacted with seemed disinterested, preoccupied, rude, or they weren't taught right at home by mom and pop.

The Golf...the Golf is a Golf. I think the backup cam pops down or up or out from somewhere. I took seconds to deploy, made a funny thunk noise, and took several seconds to re-deploy, again with a mechanical noise.

Seats firm, instruments clear, old school no surprise in a German car. The mill [iron block?!] is a 1.8t GDI intercooled:

(This is from a long-term 2015 Golf test):

ENGINE TYPE:
    turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, iron block and aluminum head, direct fuel injection

Displacement:
    110 cu in, 1798 cc
    Power: 170 hp @ 4500 rpm
    Torque: 199 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm

TRANSMISSION:
    6-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:

Wheelbase: 103.8 in
    Length: 167.5 in
    Width: 70.8 in Height: 57.2 in
    Passenger volume: 93.5 cu ft
    Cargo volume: 22.8 cu ft
    Curb weight: 3122 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 7.5 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 21.2 sec
    Zero to 120 mph: 41.9 sec
    Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 8.0 sec
    Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.8 sec
    Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.2 sec
    Standing ľ-mile: 15.7 sec @ 89 mph
    Top speed (governor limited): 126 mph
    Braking, 70-0 mph: 173 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.88 g** [2015 long-term test car with 18" wheels; mine had 15s}
    *Stability-control-inhibited

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wrap-up-review

Golf rides firmly and controlled, the seats feel OK, I can left foot brake with these pedals, the outside mirrors are on the small side, the passenger seat in all Golfs and Jettas is height-adjustable, and controls are straightforward without the space ship flavor of the Honda.

I tooled around to warm the car up, then I nailed it to enter the e-way. It just doesn't feel like a 7.5 second car. The engine sort of hums rather than make enginey-sounds [enginey McEngineface, reporting to the McEngine Room, sir!] it has the feel and sound of a diesel like the Civic did. Kickdown on the highway ditto does not produce amazing results. Cruise at 60 nets 1750 RPM.

The car gets blown around a good deal, surprising but hey that's life. We have a big Nor' Wester coming in, similar to but not as vigorous as the one we drove east in two years ago. The Golf definitely felt the winds a-blowin' and a-gustin'.

The car was riding on ContiProContact, probably 195.65.15 it was hard to see them without a flashlight. I could feel them start slipping as I approached fitty MPH on the entrance ramp, destination Dayton, the car was stable and did not heel over which seems typical of today's cars. Thank God.
    Air temp was about 25 so these tires were not in their strength range.

Drive at 70 is reasonably quiet and composed. I pulled up that 2015 CD long-term test because it seems nobody wants to test a stock plebe Golf, so I'm guessing most date except cornering G are quite similar.

The brakes brake. I really don't see why the CD guys get all heated up about this car. Maybe it's a peer pressure/clique thing. It's a car, unremarkable, but ahh, German.

The hatch does NOT have a handle. Odd oversight for O/C Germans. What did that save, fitty cent? Sheesh. This car had a switchblade key like my Soul does.

An OK car, but it did not get me heated up, particularly.

I cruised on over to the nearby Hyundai dealer and got the Elantra Eco out for another drive. After feeling a few other cars, these doors feel a bit light and flimsy. Inside it's still nice, and after a warm-up and a punch-up to merge, this car feels a little slower than the 'dub. Down 40 HP and 43 TQ, perhaps it should. It DO have one extra gear, and the DCT was smooth and did its thing imperceptibly.
    I ran the on-ramp to Dayton in Eco too, I got up to about the same speed and felt a similar beginning-to-slip, and these are some junk Korean tires. Little lean.

On the road, Eco did not blow around like the Golf did. It did respond to the gusts a bit more than my Soul did on the drive home. Weird, not what I'd expect. The Soul has a Coefficient of drag of .42 or .44, way over the high-20s to low-30s these other cars have (Eco is .27). Yet it's near-impervious to major wind effects.
    So Cd and crosswind-effect are apparently unrelated. Or inversely related.

The Honda, with a middling 174 HP but hooked up to that fantastic CVT, has spoiled me, power-wise, for these other cars. That trannie is just leaps and bounds ahead of anything else I've driven.

And CD guys and their VWs? I remember, I think it was Pat Bedard who wrote it in the early 00s or late 90s, a bizarre and discomforting love piece for his favorite Honda Accord at the time. It was like a love letter. And it was weird. You know what gasoline fumes can do to you. Beware, kiddies, DO NOT HUFF GAS!
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 12-09-2016 at 12:16 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-09-2016),BlackGTP (12-09-2016),neshapop (12-09-2016),richmond2000 (12-09-2016),SierraGS (12-10-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,846 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: VW Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    So Cd and crosswind-effect are apparently unrelated. Or inversely related.
    The industry has known that since the '80s, probably a lot longer - the '82 Ford Sierra, known unaffectionally as the "jelly (Jell-O) mould" had a good low Cd but was always subject to buffeting in cross-breezes, despite various modifications like aerodynamic rear window spoilers - a major part of the reason Ford lost their crown in Europe as the Opel Ascona-C / Vauxhall Cavalier mk2 was able to outsell the Sierra.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,274 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

to me if you had to show a hatchback car to an alien that has NO idea of what a car is you show a GOLF and the Corolla would be the same in a sedan - totally plan and the BASE that every other car builds from

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,839 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

The salesperson was a girl. Girl, not woman. She was new, and she didn't know anything.
    They must've at least taught her how to say "German Engineering". Over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    The industry has known that since the '80s, probably a lot longer - the '82 Ford Sierra, known unaffectionally as the "jelly (Jell-O) mould" had a good low Cd but was always subject to buffeting in cross-breezes, despite various modifications like aerodynamic rear window spoilers - a major part of the reason Ford lost their crown in Europe as the Opel Ascona-C / Vauxhall Cavalier mk2 was able to outsell the Sierra.
    Yes... they definitely blow around when it's breezy.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,846 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Not helped when the bushes locating the live rear axle started to wear, which they did prematurely just like the Sierra's Cortina mk4/5 predecessor.

Thanks
    My Ride

Not helped when the bushes locating the live rear axle started to wear, which they did prematurely just like the Sierra's Cortina mk4/5 predecessor.
    My 2013 Charger was not stable in crosswinds. The '16 Challenger is much more solid. Go figure. Basically the same car.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 8,401 Times in 4,166 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Interesting insights on the crosswinds. For Thanksgiving we drove to the in-laws in Tennessee, almost the entire 13 hour (800 mile) drive I had to have both hands on the steering wheel due to the wind (a tractor trailer was almost blown over right in front of us, all the wheels on the left side were off the ground – yikes!). For the big, square brick our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is, I thought it handled the crosswinds very well. In the past I rented a Corolla (probably in the 1990’s) – worst cross-wind experience ever and the wind wasn’t even that strong.

VW’s…. I’ve never been a big fan of the Golf. A couple of friends of mine were die-hard fans (one still buys them – has a cheat diesel under the recall). I’ve never been impressed, something about them always seem unfinished to me, maybe because their interiors are so “straightforward” vs. some artistic design.

I never saw the magic the auto rags drone on about, perhaps because I haven’t been in the top of the line models. Perhaps this is why the disconnect between sales volume vs. the reviewers – lower end models don’t have the bits and pieces that make the top of the line great????

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,274 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I never saw the magic the auto rags drone on about, perhaps because I havenít been in the top of the line models. Perhaps this is why the disconnect between sales volume vs. the reviewers Ė lower end models donít have the bits and pieces that make the top of the line great????
    I think a lot of it is from the 80's when American compacts could NOT get out of there own way and Japanese where "BEER cans" with wheels and VW combined BOTH handling AND solidity BUT now EVERY maker has both in spades

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

Anyone who has knowledge of these two effects, I'd be glad to hear about it or be pointed in the direction. Hey! I'll ask Mr. Google!

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    to me if you had to show a hatchback car to an alien that has NO idea of what a car is you show a GOLF and the Corolla would be the same in a sedan - totally plan and the BASE that every other car builds from
    Illegal or extraterrestrial?

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    They must've at least taught her how to say "German Engineering". Over and over.

No. She had not mastered that. I wouldn't be surprised if she'd never heard of Germany. She had "I'll have to ask my boss..." down pat though.

That damn W! We can't escape him, even eight years later!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Interesting insights on the crosswinds. For Thanksgiving we drove to the in-laws in Tennessee, almost the entire 13 hour (800 mile) drive I had to have both hands on the steering wheel due to the wind (a tractor trailer was almost blown over right in front of us, all the wheels on the left side were off the ground – yikes!). For the big, square brick our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is, I thought it handled the crosswinds very well. In the past I rented a Corolla (probably in the 1990’s) – worst cross-wind experience ever and the wind wasn’t even that strong.

VW’s…. I’ve never been a big fan of the Golf. A couple of friends of mine were die-hard fans (one still buys them – has a cheat diesel under the recall). I’ve never been impressed, something about them always seem unfinished to me, maybe because their interiors are so “straightforward” vs. some artistic design.

I never saw the magic the auto rags drone on about, perhaps because I haven’t been in the top of the line models. Perhaps this is why the disconnect between sales volume vs. the reviewers – lower end models don’t have the bits and pieces that make the top of the line great????
    You were in your ATS?

I'd guess the "in crowd" at CD has "cool cars" they're supposed to like. Now, that makes certain assumptions, such as they are adolescent in thought and deed, they want to be accepted, they are easily led, and they got over their Hondagasm.

The uplevel Golf has the same mill I think, it's got the requisite 18" cool wheels but I'd bet it drives similarly to this C grade commuter car.

I really liked my '99 Golf TDi, it was a stone but you wouldn't know it because it had INSTANT torque. With 99 HP and 149 torkies, I forget the weight and I don't want to bug Mr. Google too much, somewhere in the 2700 range? The modern turbo gassers under two liters get 40-45 on the road, which was what I got with that car. But then tech has made leaps and bounds in 17 years. Imagine the next 17.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 12-09-2016 at 08:44 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,839 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Anyone who has knowledge of these two effects, I'd be glad to hear about it or be pointed in the direction. Hey! I'll ask Mr. Google!
    Good luck! Mr. Google don't know squat about Sierras / Merkurs.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

2b2 (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,401 Times in 4,166 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

You were in your ATS?

I'd guess the "in crowd" at CD has "cool cars" they're supposed to like. Now, that makes certain assumptions, such as they are adolescent in thought and deed, they want to be accepted, they are easily led, and they got over their Hondagasm.

The uplevel Golf has the same mill I think, it's got the requisite 18" cool wheels but I'd bet it drives similarly to this C grade commuter car.

I really liked my '99 Golf TDi, it was a stone but you wouldn't know it because it had INSTANT torque. With 99 HP and 149 torkies, I forget the weight and I don't want to bug Mr. Google too much, somewhere in the 2700 range? The modern turbo gassers under two liters get 40-45 on the road, which was what I got with that car. But then tech has made leaps and bounds in 17 years. Imagine the next 17.
    Nope, took the wife's 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, more spacious for the long ride. Plus she puts a lot less miles on her truck, so I'd prefer to put the 1,600 mile round trip on the truck. We have the V6, on the trip back (without all of the wind) we got almost 25 mpgs, pretty impressive for such a big, heavy vehicle!

Yes, definitely a heard mentality to like what everyone else likes. I wonder how much that plays in the automotive field.

And yes, the next 17 years will be really interesting, I suspect they will bring a lot more changes than the past 17 years.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

I had a chance to try both VW Golfs 1.8T and GTI on closed course mini race track just before new model hit the lots and I found both options agile and zippy...but after this diesel emission cheat fiasco I don't believe in their mantra and took them off my buy list forever.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to neshapop For This Useful Post:

2b2 (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,394 Times in 2,202 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Thanks for the review. As far as a VW is concerned though, meh... not my cup of tea.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (12-10-2016)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information