Veloster 1.6t w 7-spd DC Trannie

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Veloster 1.6t w 7-spd DC Trannie

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Veloster 1.6t w 7-spd DC Trannie

Since H/K apparently plan to equip the 2017 1.6t Fortes and Elantras with the 7-speed dual clutch auto, I thought I should check out the powertrain. At present, the availability is in Velosters, which have used the 1.6t and 7-DCT for a couple of years now.
    There's ONE within 60 miles. Taylor Hyundai Perrysburg had a car which I drove.

I can see why the car-magazine scribes complain about this trans. sad.gif Very peculiar that H/K would go forward with a trans so hinky, in an important segment. ANY segment is important. The driving public is an important segment.

One writer said Audi has made their DCT work. H/K hasn't.

At low speeds it has slow reactions. It allows gaps and surges. I could not appreciate the great torque of the 1.6 turbo with this trans, unlike in the Forte5 6A I drove.

The 7 DCT doesn't seem to shift especially quickly, consistently, though that's supposed to be one of its main claims to fame. Sometimes it was quick. Sometimes a bit sluggish. And acceleration below 50 was NOT impressive.

If I let the car creep a foot or two at a light, the idle would run up to about 700-800. When I stopped again, it would drop back to about 500. Werd.

Unstable, in a word.

I'll continue looking for a '16 (or 2015) F5 methinks. I really would not want to be stuck with that trannie. I had a nice car with a hinkie trannie before: 2011 Chrysler 200 V6. Great power, good car, trans needed help.

Work out the bugs before you release your gadgets on the public, Hyundai. KIA. Who do you think you are, GM? LOL.

The Veloster itself is kind of cool. I love the 3rd door on the right side. Very cool.
    The car is small and fairly tight. It corners flat, rides well, feels solid, and currently offers $4500 off with mil discount. But I don't want a bitty car.
    If your tastes run to this size and class, I encourage you to take a taste. I like the turbo mill, but I just don't feel its best characteristics with this trans.

They come with sticks too, too, if you're a shifty.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 11-19-2016 at 12:29 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Veloster 1.6t w 7-spd DC Trannie

The solution is clearly to purchase a manual transmission version
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Veloster 1.6t w 7-spd DC Trannie

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    The solution is clearly to purchase a manual transmission version
    That is ONE solution. But not mine, because I don't want a stick.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information