Upcoming thoughts on compact SUV/CUVs

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming thoughts on compact SUV/CUVs

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '14 CX-5, '12 Chrysler 200

Upcoming thoughts on compact SUV/CUVs

The miles are getting up there on our 200, so we are going to look to replace it in the next month or so. This weekend (or next week) we will start visiting some dealerships and going on some test drives. We are looking to get a small/compact crossover----not an Equinox which we already have but something smaller.

The long list so far is: Buick Encore, Mazda Cx-5, Toyota Rav4, Ford Escape, Nissan Rogue and/or Juke, Hyundai Santa Fe and/or Tuscon, and the Kia Soul. If we can find a 4 cylinder FWD Jeep Cherokee, we might try that out too, but i'm not sure about the availablity.

In the next couple of weeks----we plan on looking at most or all of them and test driving as many as possible. We are looking for FWD, not AWD. If anyone is interested, I will post some thoughts on the test drives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Re: Upcoming thoughts on compact SUV/CUVs

I know you stated FWD and not AWD but you should include the Subaru XV Crosstrek. I also don't see the VW Tiguan on your list.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride

Tiguan I just didn't like the interior in at all.

We have ruled out a couple already--the Tuscon and Santa Fe I just don't think drive as well as the specs say they should---also ruled out the Escape. With the Escape, I just didn't feel comfortable in the front seat. It did have a lot of storage, but it seemed narrower than the specs indicate.

The Mazda CX-5 I am going to test drive for a second time next week. It is at the top of my list now. There is a Buick Dealer right near the Mazda dealership. I'd like to test the Encore at the same time.

The Suburu I never considered, but after looking at it a bit online, maybe we'll look into it a bit more before making a final decision. I really don't like how the wheels look and the interior seems a bit plain to me, but It can't hurt to look at one up close.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,127 Times in 4,371 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

If I were in the market today, I'd be especially interested in the Encore, Juke, CX-5, and of course the Soul.

I really enjoyed our Soul, its biggest downside was a rather rough ride which reportedly has been much improved for 2014. I seriously considered trading the car for a better-rider when my wife had some back issues, but that got fixed so we kept it.

The base engine had plenty of pep and per CD road tests was just a second or so slower to 60 than the 2.0. I loved the NOW maneuverability with little lean despite its tippy look, and the ease of entry-exit with tall doors and enough headroom for a cowboy hat. Back seat has as much foot space as large sedans, which you will not find in the Encore & Juke, and probably not the Mazda either.

(I really like the Escape's toe-opening feature for the rear gate. Great idea.)

I was not thrilled with the Nexen tires and I replaced them with Michelin Defenders.

Good luck, enjoy your search.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

rvj
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 F150

Drive the Subaru before you buy anything.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Last year I helped my sister buy a small SUV, and we went through The process, test-drove several, and it ended up that the Honda CRV was her best choice. VW handle best, but felt cold and impersonal. The Toyota didn't handle as well as either The VW or the Honda.
    A suggestion a friend of Mine made was to take Along what you would carry in the vehicle, including luggage, golf clubs, camping equipment or whatever is your thing, to make Sure it fits.
    Since my sister likes camping too and has a 1 year old, it needed To fit a child safety seat and a lot more.
    Look at the big picture, drive several, and choose the one you like best and can afford.

Thanks

The Soul might be a little too small compared to the others on the list. The Sportage would fit better and may drive better than the Tucson but the others are still likely better choices for you.

If you do look at Subaru, the Forester may fit with the others better than an XV Crosstrek.

Nissan is selling the old Rogue as the Rogue Select alongside the new one that is hitting dealers now, so that's a couple options, but I'd choose most of the others on your list over the old Rogue. Cherokees are on lots, might just be tough to find options you want.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks
    My Ride

Soul interior dimensions generally comparable. Use of space is very efficient.

Soul +/Sportage EX/CR-V/Cherokee Sport:
    Overall length 163 175 178 182
    Turning radius 17.4 ' 17.4 ' 18.7 ' 18.8 '
    Drag coefficient N/A N/A N/A .33
    Front legroom 40.9 " 41.4 " 41.3 " 41.1 "
    Rear legroom 39.1 " 37.9 " 38.3 " 40.3 "
    Front headroom 39.6 " 39.1 " 38.0 " 39.4 "
    Rear headroom 39.5 " 38.5 " 38.6 " 38.5 "
    Front hiproom 53.2 " 53.7 " 54.5 " 53.8 "
    Rear hiproom 49.3 " 49.1 " 53.1 " 49.9 "
    Front shoulder room 55.5 " 56.7 " 58.6 " 57.6 "
    Rear shoulder room 54.7 " 55.1 " 56.4 " 55.1 "
    Luggage volume 24.2 cu.ft. 26.1 cu.ft. 37.2 cu.ft. 24.8 cu.ft.
    Luggage volume (max) 61.3 cu.ft. 54.6 cu.ft. 70.9 cu.ft. 54.9 cu.ft.
    Passenger volume Standard:
    101 cu.ft. 100 cu.ft. 101 cu.ft. 105 cu.ft.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimC...,USC40HOS021B0

It would appear the Sportage and Cherokee share an engine.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 12-08-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar zl-1's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the Soul too... It's quirky in a good way

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Why do the CRV, Rav and CX5 all have crappy interiors. I sat in the new Mazda and was underwhelmed(can't understand what the car mags thin its so great). The Honda and Toyota are just a sea of crap plastic. I guess it's all in the name.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by shemp View Post
    Why do the CRV, Rav and CX5 all have crappy interiors. I sat in the new Mazda and was underwhelmed(can't understand what the car mags thin its so great). The Honda and Toyota are just a sea of crap plastic. I guess it's all in the name.
    What exactly is so crappy about the CX5 interior? It is a very good interior and I think it is one of the best in that class of vehicles. The only thing I can think of that could use improvement is the screen in the dash. The only thing I don't like about the interior is the red lighting. I don't like red lighting in any vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 Times in 2,564 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    What exactly is so crappy about the CX5 interior? It is a very good interior and I think it is one of the best in that class of vehicles. The only thing I can think of that could use improvement is the screen in the dash. The only thing I don't like about the interior is the red lighting. I don't like red lighting in any vehicle.

Red lighting is actually the best lighting you can use for dash lights. I hate our Flex as there is no way to turn off the NAV screen (at least that I've found) and its pretty brutal to drive on backroads.

The Juke would probably be at the top of my list. Its a cool little vehicle and actually is pretty fun to drive. I was pretty impressed with it. The CX5 is pretty meh IMHO and left me feeling like they could of done way better. Encore is nice as well but ends up being a little more pricey than all of them.

So, what did you choose?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Red lighting is actually the best lighting you can use for dash lights. I hate our Flex as there is no way to turn off the NAV screen (at least that I've found) and its pretty brutal to drive on backroads.
    I've heard and read that red is the best but I still don't like it. I prefer white or a cool blue (almost purpley color.) I dislike the greenish lighting and I hate red.

Thanks
    My Ride

Red does not diminish night vision as do other colors in the light spectrum.
    Significant if you're aboard ship or plane where there are no other immediate light sources.

Not so significant if you're driving where there are other white light sources. Such as on roads.

As for the "cheap plastic interiors," I suppose the buyer expects 100% leather, wood, and fresh-sheared British lamb's wool and virgin Montana alpaca.

The Bentley dealer is thattaway>>>>>>
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride

Well, we are close to making a decision, and the final two choices are the Buick Encore and the CX-5.

We looked at the Juke (test drove one) and it was a lot better than I expected. Same goes for the Suburu. They would probably be our 3rd and 4th choices (head of the Rav4 and Escape)

Well probably make a decision before the end of the month. I put a few feelers out to the dealers as far as price, want to check with a couple other local ones. If one dealer blows away the rest with price relative to invoice and trade, that may make the decision for us.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information