Toyota Camry

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Camry

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Toyota Camry

As some of you may know, my wife and I always rent a car to take trips or shuttle our visitors around when they come. She doesn't want people trashing her CTS and I don't want them in my GTO. For a few bucks one can rent from Enterprise any vehicle that meets the needs of the moment.

Usually, we won't accept an import, yet, a couple years ago our only choice was a Honda Accord or Ford F150. We took the Accord and since then I've been scratching my head as to why those sell so well. To me, the road noise was intolerable for long trips, and I didn't find anything particularly special about the four banger engine. But, whatever.

Friday, my wife picked up our granddaughter and for the occasion, she rented a 2013 Camry. EVERYTHING about this car feels CHEAP!!!!! Upon startup, the engine sounds like it's mad at somebody, very unrefined. Personally, I have a hard time distinguishing between a good fourbanger and a not-so-good fourbanger. They all sound the same to me at virtually any rpm. Compared to the Cruze we had just a few short weeks ago, this Camry sounded awful.

Looking at this UGLY blob in my driveway, again, I was scratching my head trying to objectively understand what drew people to such a POS. When this car first came out, I viewed it on the dealer's lot through the locked door window. I thought the interior LOOKED improved and was of high quality appearance wise. Boy was I wrong! If I ever applied the old adage about "looks are deceiving", this is where it's highly appropriate. There is more plastic in this car than any other car I've been in lately. Even the carpet is nothing more than a few fibers glued to some cardboard. Nothing feels, or looks robust.

I've only owned ONE Toyota in my life, and while that Supra wasn't what I thought was Toyota quality, this Camry rewrites the entire chapter in deception. Maybe you folks who only buy Toyotas should test drive some American iron and see what you're missing out on. There's stuff out there with worse reputations but better driving experiences. And, BETTER all around cars. I'm not trying to trash Toyota but they clearly know that they are surviving on their past reputation. However, they should be ashamed to sell this POS. As much as I hate the Hyundai Sonata, I'd choose it over this Camry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Toyota Camry

The attraction to Camrys is that they're dead reliable mechanically, represent a low cost of ownership, and hold their value reasonably well. Plus they have a plush highway ride, which seems to be very important to the American buyer. Many cars in its segment are better than the Camry in many ways, and personally I think the Accord is king. But Camrys are cheap low risk buys.
    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 09-22-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks

The current Camry interior is atrocious. The fake stitching makes me want to vomit, just like it did in the 80s when the domestics did it. I haven't liked a Camry since the 3rd gen, which I liked a lot.

Give me an Accord or Mazda6 or Fusion anyday over a Camry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,917 Times in 4,829 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Perhaps brand loyalty is what keeps people coming back, much as many stuck with GM in the 80's. Toyota's weren't too bad in the 1990's, now they are resting on their laurels and loyal Toyota owners don't know any better.....

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,718 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

They are CHEAP. Toyota is literally buying marketshare with them and at a scary rate. $5k off a brand new XLE is pretty much the norm here without any haggle. Almost a hundred are stocked at the local Toyota dealership. Rows upon rows of sheep.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Tell us something we don't know.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Well, I've been somewhat hesitant to knock ANY brand, since most cars in any class are pretty competitive nowadays. But this Camry had me struggling to figure out what makes 30k plus people buy them every month. It really doesn't have a plusher ride than the Fusion or Malibu, both of which are quieter and smoother in my opinion. And I don't care how reliable a car might be, I'd never buy something this ugly. It's big, and it's roomy, but it feels like an aluminum can, very chintzy. The doors feel like eggshells. I mean there's nothing robust feeling about any thing you touch.

I know that many, many others have different attributes that they deem important than my own. And I respect that. But I couldn't find a single redeeming quality about this Camry. And I looked HARD! Now I understand why the sticker prices are well below the others.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
    As some of you may know, my wife and I always rent a car to take trips or shuttle our visitors around when they come. She doesn't want people trashing her CTS and I don't want them in my GTO. For a few bucks one can rent from Enterprise any vehicle that meets the needs of the moment.

Usually, we won't accept an import, yet, a couple years ago our only choice was a Honda Accord or Ford F150. We took the Accord and since then I've been scratching my head as to why those sell so well. To me, the road noise was intolerable for long trips, and I didn't find anything particularly special about the four banger engine. But, whatever.

Friday, my wife picked up our granddaughter and for the occasion, she rented a 2013 Camry. EVERYTHING about this car feels CHEAP!!!!! Upon startup, the engine sounds like it's mad at somebody, very unrefined. Personally, I have a hard time distinguishing between a good fourbanger and a not-so-good fourbanger. They all sound the same to me at virtually any rpm. Compared to the Cruze we had just a few short weeks ago, this Camry sounded awful.

Looking at this UGLY blob in my driveway, again, I was scratching my head trying to objectively understand what drew people to such a POS. When this car first came out, I viewed it on the dealer's lot through the locked door window. I thought the interior LOOKED improved and was of high quality appearance wise. Boy was I wrong! If I ever applied the old adage about "looks are deceiving", this is where it's highly appropriate. There is more plastic in this car than any other car I've been in lately. Even the carpet is nothing more than a few fibers glued to some cardboard. Nothing feels, or looks robust.

I've only owned ONE Toyota in my life, and while that Supra wasn't what I thought was Toyota quality, this Camry rewrites the entire chapter in deception. Maybe you folks who only buy Toyotas should test drive some American iron and see what you're missing out on. There's stuff out there with worse reputations but better driving experiences. And, BETTER all around cars. I'm not trying to trash Toyota but they clearly know that they are surviving on their past reputation. However, they should be ashamed to sell this POS. As much as I hate the Hyundai Sonata, I'd choose it over this Camry.
    I have been saying for years, people suffer in silence. The Cruze put the Accord to shame when it comes to interior quietness

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Perhaps brand loyalty is what keeps people coming back, much as many stuck with GM in the 80's. Toyota's weren't too bad in the 1990's, now they are resting on their laurels and loyal Toyota owners don't know any better.....
    From everything I've read and seen, this seems to sum it up nicely. I'd guess that it remains reliable and its drawing off a huge pool of satisfied owners. Maybe that's enough for now to sustain sales. But the segment is so competitive that none of them are truly bad cars in the 1970s sense (i.e. unreliable, premature rusting). Yet many are a better drive (Accord, Mazda6), better looking (Mazda6, Fusion, Optima, Malibu), quieter (Malibu), more fuel efficient (Altima) ... you get the idea. If the Camry doesn't improve, it won't draw new owners in and its dominance will fade.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

I wouldn't put too much stock into "brand loyalty" being the reason the Camry continues to sell in the numbers that it does. Does it have a cult like following? You betcha. However, I recently bought my mother a 2013 Camry. She had owned 3 Ford's and was currently driving a 2008 Malibu LTZ. She was beginning to have too many nit picky issues with her Malibu at 49,000 miles, such as gas tank sensor failed twice, some interior lights started failing, radio quit working, interior showed premature wear for a 5 year old car with only 49,000 miles, paint was beginning to crack along the front and rear bumpers (we live in the south and the car was always garaged). On a scale of 1-10 I would rate that Malibu a 7 in terms of ownership satisfaction, and that's being generous.

After test driving and looking at lots of cars she went with the Camry. My pick was the Accord, but since this was her buying decision I went along with her. It's been a great car so far, very pleased with it. After owning it for 4 months I would currently rate it at 9 out of 10. I will say that the new Malibu just did nothing for me in terms of looks, driving characteristics and overall feel. I felt like there was too much going on with that car and it was trying too hard. I mean fake wood here, fancy lights there, I never could grasp what theme GM was trying to go for when they designed this car. It was like 10 people drew up and interior and they somehow used ideas from all 10 as to not hurt anyones feelings and came up with an interior. The price of the Malibu was a bit of a turnoff as well. Note to GM: dark pinstriping on the seats looks very tacky. I've noticed this on the Malibu as well as the new Impala and it's atrocious!

Just wanted to point out that Camry IS attracting new buyers and so far from our ownership experience, we would gladly buy another one tomorrow barring no stupid changes.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Toyota is throwing money at them at the moment, something Chevy, Buick, and Pontiac did in the 90s and early 2000s. I expect retained value to decline.

It's a perfectly acceptable, entirely uninspired personal mobility device. Would I call it a car? Nah.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock into "brand loyalty" being the reason the Camry continues to sell in the numbers that it does. Does it have a cult like following? You betcha. However, I recently bought my mother a 2013 Camry. She had owned 3 Ford's and was currently driving a 2008 Malibu LTZ. She was beginning to have too many nit picky issues with her Malibu at 49,000 miles, such as gas tank sensor failed twice, some interior lights started failing, radio quit working, interior showed premature wear for a 5 year old car with only 49,000 miles, paint was beginning to crack along the front and rear bumpers (we live in the south and the car was always garaged). On a scale of 1-10 I would rate that Malibu a 7 in terms of ownership satisfaction, and that's being generous.

After test driving and looking at lots of cars she went with the Camry. My pick was the Accord, but since this was her buying decision I went along with her. It's been a great car so far, very pleased with it. After owning it for 4 months I would currently rate it at 9 out of 10. I will say that the new Malibu just did nothing for me in terms of looks, driving characteristics and overall feel. I felt like there was too much going on with that car and it was trying too hard. I mean fake wood here, fancy lights there, I never could grasp what theme GM was trying to go for when they designed this car. It was like 10 people drew up and interior and they somehow used ideas from all 10 as to not hurt anyones feelings and came up with an interior. The price of the Malibu was a bit of a turnoff as well. Note to GM: dark pinstriping on the seats looks very tacky. I've noticed this on the Malibu as well as the new Impala and it's atrocious!

Just wanted to point out that Camry IS attracting new buyers and so far from our ownership experience, we would gladly buy another one tomorrow barring no stupid changes.
    Next time I'm in the market for washing machine, I'll get your advice.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post

I hear this story quite often. You gotta remember at a forum like this that many GM fans will never look or give credit to the competition.

The Camry is a solid built mid sized family car that does and always has received top ratings from every notable car guide source known.

Unless GM is making your car payments you have no reason to make excuses why you didn't buy a GM.

The fans will bash you but in the end who is truly happy

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by hunchman View Post
    I hear this story quite often. You gotta remember at a forum like this that many GM fans will never look or give credit to the competition.

The Camry is a solid built mid sized family car that does and always has received top ratings from every notable car guide source known.

Unless GM is making your car payments you have no reason to make excuses why you didn't buy a GM.

The fans will bash you but in the end who is truly happy
    I couldn't be happier with the car currently, and from what she has said, she has been very pleased with it. We were given almost $3,000 off the sticker price as well as 0% for 60 months financing. I noticed that not all the Camry's on the lot had money on the hood, only specific models (L's, LE's and a SE). I really was hoping she would choose the Camry hybrid but she went for just the LE which is still a nicely equipped car for $22,000. The car only has 3,000 miles on it and it consistently gets 30-31 mpg combined driving. That's tough to not like! I know it's not the sportiest or flashiest, I know it doesn't drive like a BMW (even though nothing else in this segment does either, they aren't supposed to). If GM, or any car maker for that matter, thinks buyers in this segment are looking for sporty looks and race car handling they will never be competitive. This segment is about buying the most reliable car for your dollar, get as much interior and trunk room as possible, gas mileage gas mileage gas mileage, nice standard features but no need to go overboard, and your price better be in line with everyone else. Heck the Honda dealership had money on the hood of the Accord's! I could have bought her a similarly equipped Accord for $1,000 more. It's not just Toyota who's discounting vehicles right now.

It's not that I have anything against GM. I own a 2000 Silverado with 250,000 miles on it, owned a 2011 Sierra SLT, owned a 2004 Z71, and that 08 Malibu. It just came down to there were much better choices out there for my buying dollars. The current Malibu just wasn't for us.

SX3
    Thanks

The Camry isn't a bad car. A friend of a mine just bought a 2012 (it was that or a Sonata). But there are much better choices within the class as a whole. Depending on the options you seek helps narrow the list. My friend just wanted a newer, low mileage car in his price range that will be reliable. His car is just an appliance for him, which the Camry fits perfectly. His old Ion was about completely worn out.

In my opinion, the Accord and 6 are at the top of the class having been in both. To me nothing else is close on the base model trims.

I like the Malibu, but I'd rather spend the money on a Cruze or Impala on either side of the $20-30K range. The Malibu doesn't offer enough benefit to ME to choose it over the others. I'd rather save the cash and get the Eco or Diesel Cruze at the lower end or get a nice Impala to cruise in if I was to spend that much at the higher end.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information