The Suzuki SX4 thread

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Suzuki SX4 thread

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

The Suzuki SX4 thread

I'm driving this for a week. Anything I should specifically look to address?

More photos: http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-Autos...1-introduction

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Suzuki SX4 thread

::Cricket::Cricket::

This forum is kind of low on Suzuki enthusists and most Suzuki media kind of makes it through here with if your lucky a full page of posts.

It looks like you have not just the SX4 but the SX4 sport due to the all color body and rims.

I would focus on driving dynamics as it is essentially a larger swift(same platform) and highlight how the features are at price vs competition.

Also, how do materials stack up to newer entries since this car has essentially been out for a couple years now.

Its larger then Aveo/Fit but smaller then a Cobalt/Civic - when sitting inside car and looking at it from afar, how would you compare? Does the inside match perception of the exterior size?

What class of vehicles in your opinion does this compete against?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

I'd like to hear more about the all wheel drive system. I'd love to know how capable it is in snow and on ice. How does the all wheel drive system transfer power (front/back, side to side and in what proportions).
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    I'd like to hear more about the all wheel drive system. I'd love to know how capable it is in snow and on ice. How does the all wheel drive system transfer power (front/back, side to side and in what proportions).
    This is a FWD car.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SonicAerio View Post
    ::Cricket::Cricket::

This forum is kind of low on Suzuki enthusists and most Suzuki media kind of makes it through here with if your lucky a full page of posts.

It looks like you have not just the SX4 but the SX4 sport due to the all color body and rims.

I would focus on driving dynamics as it is essentially a larger swift(same platform) and highlight how the features are at price vs competition.

Also, how do materials stack up to newer entries since this car has essentially been out for a couple years now.

Its larger then Aveo/Fit but smaller then a Cobalt/Civic - when sitting inside car and looking at it from afar, how would you compare? Does the inside match perception of the exterior size?

What class of vehicles in your opinion does this compete against?
    I'll get more into details later, but I'd think its closest competitors right now are the Honda Fit and Kia Soul.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    This is a FWD car.
    My bad, based on your introduction it seemed like this vehicle was an AWD. My brain must be getting tired and not comprehending properly.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    My bad, based on your introduction it seemed like this vehicle was an AWD. My brain must be getting tired and not comprehending properly.
    I think Suzuki has an AWD version of it... at the auto show this year they must have had a dozen SX4's in every possible model, it was weird

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    I think Suzuki has an AWD version of it... at the auto show this year they must have had a dozen SX4's in every possible model, it was weird
    It was launched as AWD-only. They only added FWD models last year.

Incidentally, the DC Auto Show didn't have Suzukis this year.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,182 Times in 4,405 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I cross-shopped the SX4 sedan with my Spectra and Hyundai Elantra.

Handling and braking. How's it looking this year?

MPG was always unimpressive considering the package. Is it up to snuff yet?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I cross-shopped the SX4 sedan with my Spectra and Hyundai Elantra.

Handling and braking. How's it looking this year?

MPG was always unimpressive considering the package. Is it up to snuff yet?
    The brakes are strong. Still checking on the handling and the real-world gas mileage. EPA mileage ratings have improved but still aren't great -- 22/30.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

They are quite an interesting looking little jigger. I think of the SX4 AWD as the next gen of the (Japan) Chev Cruze & (Oz) Holden Cruze of a few years ago.
    Love to hear how you like it.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

As with all of your other articles, if you're going to nit-pick something tangible, like panel gaps, take a picture of it.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 regfootball's Avatar
    Thanks

i test drove the SX4 a couple times. Fun car, sort of fun like a Fit is, maybe a tish less polished. The 2010 engine and tranny updates will no doubt be great improvements on the car.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

My friend just bought a 2009 FWD automatic 4 door Sport Touring model with the Stability control, Navigation, leather wheel, cruise control, Bluetooth, power everything, ABS/traction control and Automatic climate control. The window sticker was $19819 which isn't bad for an essentially fully loaded car. The highlights of the car upon entering the front seat was the large amount of headroom. It was very easy to enter/exit the car at all times. Once in I found plenty of legroom and shouldroom and I noticed back seat legroom was pretty good too which is rare on a smaller car like this. The front seats are more comfortable than Cobalt or Focus Corolla or Civic so that was another plus. I was surprised at all the equipment that came with this under 20K car. Navigation screen that pops up from the top of the center console when needed, Bluetooth and USB port, excellent sound system, Automatic climate control, power windows and locks, keyless start and a bunch of other nifty features. To open the trunk from the outside there is a button hidden underneath the trunk lid that will trip when you have the transmitter nearby and said trunk is fairly roomy for a compact. The ride and handling are both good and bad. The oversized 17" tires(rediculous for a car this small) crash bang and thump over even the slightest road imperfections and make for a very unsettling driving experience over anything but the smoothest roads. They do make for competent road handling however and corners can be taked with speed and little drama. The brakes work well and don't seem to fade after repeated hard stops. The 2.0 liter 143 HP 4 cylinder has adequate acceleration with the optional 4 speed automatic transmission(CVT for AWD and all 2010 models) but gets a bit growly at full throttle. It also loses a lot of steam with 4-5 passengers aboard and the A/C turned on and fuel economy really suffers. We recorded a dismal 21.7 in combined driving with A/C operating late last Summer and 3 adults and two children aboard and 65% of that was highway driving at about 74 MPH. With just the driver and no A/C going a steady 70 MPH he has recorded 29.5 MPG which again isn't awesome but does slightly exceeed the ratings of 21/28. The CVT versions rate 22/30 which is a little better but still way behind the segment leaders. Road noise is competitive and everything is within logical and easy reach but Suzuki doesn't give out things like retained accessory power and automatic headlights on these cars. The real star here has to be the AWD version which combines all the above with better Winter traction and confidence, little loss in mileage and not much more coin. It's still not a common feature found in cars this small and something you won't find on most of it's competitors.
    Last edited by ponchoman49; 02-25-2010 at 09:50 AM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Aprime's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm driving one for about a month, buying a Golf then.

They should've given it the CVT in the first place, I remember not quite enjoying the driving experience when I got to test the 4-speed. It's a fine car, really, but it's not the best money can buy me atm.

In case your wondering, my T250 [Wave] was stolen.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information