The Suzuki Grand Vitara thread

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: The Suzuki Grand Vitara thread

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

The Suzuki Grand Vitara thread

I'm driving this for the week -- anything I should try to answer about it? (I must say in advance that off-roading is not planned.)

Specs and photos:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-Autos...1-introduction

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Suzuki Grand Vitara thread

4 or 6 cyl? 2 or 4wd? fuel mileage?

Thanks

Well, if you ain't taking it offroad, there's little point in the test. The point of the Vitara is that it does what every other small wannabe offroader does PLUS it actually goes and does the offroad stuff. Plus it's slightly cheaper and doesn't look like a Pokemon on lard diet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    4 or 6 cyl? 2 or 4wd? fuel mileage?
    http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-Autos...1-introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    Well, if you ain't taking it offroad, there's little point in the test. The point of the Vitara is that it does what every other small wannabe offroader does PLUS it actually goes and does the offroad stuff. Plus it's slightly cheaper and doesn't look like a Pokemon on lard diet.
    Even if I did risk damaging someone else's new SUV in taking it off-road, it would be the only vehicle I've done so in and I'd have no basis for comparison.

There's no shortage of reviewers who are qualified to off-road SUVs and compare their off-road qualities. It's just not what I do.

Thanks

I am just afraid you'll conclude with a lukewarm review, being fully entitled to, as the Vitara doesn't really outshine its blobby competition in any of the "highway" categories, such as cushion softness or number of cupholders. Though personally, I find the Vitara's old and tired interior much more pleasing, functional and solid than the dinky stuff in the RAVioli and CRV. Please spare a moment to put down your thoughts on the controls' placements and functioning.

EDIT: Whoops, I take back my words. The interior of your version is apparently a beige+faux wood+antique-look automatic, I don't think you'll grade it high for that. What was Suzuki thinking with this beige??? I didn't even know it's available...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,071 Times in 1,338 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

I actually liked the previous model Vitara

This one is ok and yes it's still a fairly decent off road jigger but i just personally prefer the old model's looks

Thanks
    My Ride
    05 Colorado, 02 VTX

The Grand Vitara is on the fringe of my shopping list, since it is the last RWD-based small SUV on the market. So I have a few things I'd like to know. My perspective comes from regularly driving my wife's Mitsubishi Endeavor, and riding in my mother-in-law's Ford Escape (front and rear).

Comfort: How is the driver's seat after 3 hours of stop & go traffic? With the driver's seat adjusted for 6ft driver, is the seat behind it useable by an adult? How are the rear seats? Is the ride bouncy and uncontrolled?

Performance: Does it merge comfortably onto freeway/interstate (i.e. 65+ mph)? How well does it handle/ride at 70+ mph? Is braking from 60 mph drama-free?
    Current Rides:
    05 Colorado EC LS 2WD I5 5M in Sunburnt Orange
    13 VW Tiguan (wife's)
    02 Honda VTX 1800C

Past Favorite Rides:
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6M --> still miss it!
    76 Pontiac Ventura Coupe 260ci V8 A3 (all time fav)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzel View Post
    The Grand Vitara is on the fringe of my shopping list, since it is the last RWD-based small SUV on the market. So I have a few things I'd like to know. My perspective comes from regularly driving my wife's Mitsubishi Endeavor, and riding in my mother-in-law's Ford Escape (front and rear).

Comfort: How is the driver's seat after 3 hours of stop & go traffic? With the driver's seat adjusted for 6ft driver, is the seat behind it useable by an adult? How are the rear seats? Is the ride bouncy and uncontrolled?

Performance: Does it merge comfortably onto freeway/interstate (i.e. 65+ mph)? How well does it handle/ride at 70+ mph? Is braking from 60 mph drama-free?
    Haven't been in it for three hours in one stretch yet, but the seat has been comfortable in fairly long drives so far.

Rear legroom does disappear quickly as the front seats go back, but it never gets unusable. Depending on how close the 6' driver sits to the steering wheel, it could be very comfortable. One odd issue with the rear seat is that the head restraints have to be raised almost as high as they go before they stop digging into an adult's shoulders.

The ride isn't great, and it's especially bouncy on bad roads at fairly low speeds. It can be slightly busy on the highway, but it's not bad at higher speeds.

The V6 on the car I'm driving has no shortage of power, and the brakes seem very strong.

Thanks
    My Ride
    05 Colorado, 02 VTX

Thanks! I appreciate the quick response. How do you think the GV would rank in the CUV Comparison?

The ride quality sounds alot like what I experience every day in my Colorado.
    Current Rides:
    05 Colorado EC LS 2WD I5 5M in Sunburnt Orange
    13 VW Tiguan (wife's)
    02 Honda VTX 1800C

Past Favorite Rides:
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6M --> still miss it!
    76 Pontiac Ventura Coupe 260ci V8 A3 (all time fav)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzel View Post
    Thanks! I appreciate the quick response. How do you think the GV would rank in the CUV Comparison?

The ride quality sounds alot like what I experience every day in my Colorado.
    I had a Grand Vitara 4-cylinder in my comparison last year -- 7th place of eight vehicles.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-DC-Ca...-seventh-place

The sacrifices to get off-road capability aren't huge, but there's no need to make them if you're fine with what a RAV4 or Forester can do, unless you really go for the character of the thing.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information