Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

  1. #1
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cornelia, GA
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Ride
    2003 Honda Accord EX-V6 Sedan

    Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    I have a 2012 Sonic LT Sedan and I LOVE it. As a matter of fact, I will be trading for a 2014 Sonic LT Hatch because I need some more cargo capacity. What are your thoughts about the Sonic? Is it a great car for GM and owners or is it a big failure? Lets hear your thoughts whether you are an owner or in the market for a Sonic or one of its many competitors such as the Ford Fiesta, Kia Ria, Hyundai Accent, Toyota Echo, Nissan Versa, and many more. How do you think it stacks up?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Americas
    Posts
    5,300
    Thanks
    1,201
    Thanked 432 Times in 724 Posts
    My Ride
    a car

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    Stay with Chevrolet, but buy the Captiva

  4. #3
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,827
    Thanks
    5,412
    Thanked 7,734 Times in 3,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    I'm not in the market for one, but I bought a new car ~ a month ago and the salesman owns an Sonic, he kept mentioning how much he loved it! Seemed truly to like it, he wasn't trying to sell me one. He loved the handling and peppiness of the car.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6 blaksabb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newburgh, NY
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 42 Posts

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    2012 LTZ Hatch 1.4T 6spd manual, purchased 2/29/12... hit 48,000 miles today

    Truly love the car. I average 40 mpg (this winter the avg has dropped to 33 mpg w/ snow tires, harsh conditions and idle warm-up time).

    Last year the standard All-Season tires where great in all but one PA snowstorm (and only because I was the fool who tried to climb a 6 mile long roller-coaster of a hill).
    The car is fun to drive (though not a pocket rocket). It is rock steady on the highway and it feels very safe. The connectivity and features are very nice although I would like the new MyLink.

    My issues:
    The clutch pedal started clicking at ~ 8000 miles. I HATE noises so I had them change it under warranty. What a pain! The whole pedal assembly is one huge piece of plastic that required the entire lower dash to be removed. Took nearly three days to repair (it was a new job for the tech)!

    The car had a whining noise when in motion starting around the same time and getting unbearably loud by ~ 20,000 miles. Again, I HATE noise so I had them look at it. They first attributed it to hub bearings and changed the front out under warranty. No dice. It turned out to be inside the 6spd manual (which is unserviceable)! They had to order a new unit which was on National Back Order. Took ~ 3 months to get one. No noise issues since.

    At the same time the chintzy rubber shifter fell apart and was replaced during the tranny swap. Again, the shifter knob could not be replaced. The entire assembly was replaced. I don't care because I wasn't paying for it but this car will be ridiculously expensive to maintain in the future!!!

    During one of the diagnostic episodes for the whining noise, a tech leaned too hard on the driver's seat and effectively crushed the foam of the seat cushion on the left side. After that, I always felt like I was falling into the door. The seat cushion was replaced during the tranny swap as well.

    Lastly, after the seat cushion replacement, the driver's heated seat was inoperable. They had to order a new heating element. The new unit is not even half as hot as the original.

    One final note: the driver's armrest on the door has NO padding whatsoever! It is terribly hard and caused painful elbow issues for the first few months of ownership. Nearly two years of 120-mile round trip commutes have toughened me up apparently, as I no longer complain, but it is a design flaw.

  7. #5
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    33,884
    Thanks
    7,986
    Thanked 6,442 Times in 4,028 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    blaksabb, you are one driving fool! Piling up 50,000 miles in two years, krikey you should get a Road Warrior badge at GMI.

    Sorry to hear that the seat caved in so easily. That is downright weird. And I'd think you could rig up some sort of padding for the armrest. How cheap can a manufacturer get?

    Arm Rest. Place to rest arm. Preferably not made of concrete.

    When will you be replacing your current RW vehicle?

    Quote Originally Posted by dbc30531 View Post
    I have a 2012 Sonic LT Sedan and I LOVE it. As a matter of fact, I will be trading for a 2014 Sonic LT Hatch because I need some more cargo capacity. What are your thoughts about the Sonic? Is it a great car for GM and owners or is it a big failure? Lets hear your thoughts whether you are an owner or in the market for a Sonic or one of its many competitors such as the Ford Fiesta, Kia Ria, Hyundai Accent, Toyota Echo, Nissan Versa, and many more. How do you think it stacks up?
    As BlackGTP notes, the Sonic-sized cars are agile and peppy. I owned a Soul and those were some of its finest traits, and I had the 1.6 base engine & 6A. It's a 9.0-10.0 0-60 car according to the magazines.

    You probably can't go wrong with a Sonic hatch. The space you get in a hatch is ossum. My Soul spec'd out with interior dimensions on a par with an Impala or Charger. Probably hip room is the one place it was down.

    Stable as a rock on the highway even in 50 mph winds. MPG disappointing, and it still looks disappointing considering the size and weight. I might look at a Rio if I was buying in this size class again, it shows much better MPGs.

    http://www.edmunds.com/car-compariso...atorId=7604882
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

    The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    dbc30531 (12-30-2013)

  9. #6
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,827
    Thanks
    5,412
    Thanked 7,734 Times in 3,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    blaksabb, you are one driving fool! Piling up 50,000 miles in two years, krikey you should get a Road Warrior badge at GMI.

    Sorry to hear that the seat caved in so easily. That is downright weird. And I'd think you could rig up some sort of padding for the armrest. How cheap can a manufacturer get?

    Arm Rest. Place to rest arm. Preferably not made of concrete.

    When will you be replacing your current RW vehicle?



    As BlackGTP notes, the Sonic-sized cars are agile and peppy. I owned a Soul and those were some of its finest traits, and I had the 1.6 base engine & 6A. It's a 9.0-10.0 0-60 car according to the magazines.

    You probably can't go wrong with a Sonic hatch. The space you get in a hatch is ossum. My Soul spec'd out with interior dimensions on a par with an Impala or Charger. Probably hip room is the one place it was down.

    Stable as a rock on the highway even in 50 mph winds. MPG disappointing, and it still looks disappointing considering the size and weight. I might look at a Rio if I was buying in this size class again, it shows much better MPGs.

    http://www.edmunds.com/car-compariso...atorId=7604882
    I rented a Nissan Sentra on a vacation in Arizona in 2001. It had the worst armrest, to the point my elbow started to hurt. Probably saved Nissan $5 by putting cheap padding, but 10+ years later I remember the car and the miserable armrest experience. Not a good impression to make on someone and certainly wont make me a brand ambassador! Sometimes the little details are a killer.

  10. #7
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 swagled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,248
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    Armrests have been a weak design detail for quite a while. The driver armrest on my Intrigue is just for show. I'd have to lean to the left to actually use it. I got into the habit of resting my elbow on the windowsill (and there is a little worn spot right there)

    The Sonic specs out pretty well, and my previous car was a Mazda Protege so I'm not too obstinate about owning a smaller car. But I don't like the digital instrumentation in the Sonic and I want something RWD for my next vehicle.
    Last edited by swagled; 12-29-2013 at 09:00 AM.

  11. #8
    GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,012
    Thanks
    1,611
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,229 Posts

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by blaksabb View Post
    2012 LTZ Hatch 1.4T 6spd manual, purchased 2/29/12... hit 48,000 miles today

    Truly love the car. I average 40 mpg (this winter the avg has dropped to 33 mpg w/ snow tires, harsh conditions and idle warm-up time).

    Last year the standard All-Season tires where great in all but one PA snowstorm (and only because I was the fool who tried to climb a 6 mile long roller-coaster of a hill).
    The car is fun to drive (though not a pocket rocket). It is rock steady on the highway and it feels very safe. The connectivity and features are very nice although I would like the new MyLink.

    My issues:
    The clutch pedal started clicking at ~ 8000 miles. I HATE noises so I had them change it under warranty. What a pain! The whole pedal assembly is one huge piece of plastic that required the entire lower dash to be removed. Took nearly three days to repair (it was a new job for the tech)!

    The car had a whining noise when in motion starting around the same time and getting unbearably loud by ~ 20,000 miles. Again, I HATE noise so I had them look at it. They first attributed it to hub bearings and changed the front out under warranty. No dice. It turned out to be inside the 6spd manual (which is unserviceable)! They had to order a new unit which was on National Back Order. Took ~ 3 months to get one. No noise issues since.

    At the same time the chintzy rubber shifter fell apart and was replaced during the tranny swap. Again, the shifter knob could not be replaced. The entire assembly was replaced. I don't care because I wasn't paying for it but this car will be ridiculously expensive to maintain in the future!!!

    During one of the diagnostic episodes for the whining noise, a tech leaned too hard on the driver's seat and effectively crushed the foam of the seat cushion on the left side. After that, I always felt like I was falling into the door. The seat cushion was replaced during the tranny swap as well.

    Lastly, after the seat cushion replacement, the driver's heated seat was inoperable. They had to order a new heating element. The new unit is not even half as hot as the original.

    One final note: the driver's armrest on the door has NO padding whatsoever! It is terribly hard and caused painful elbow issues for the first few months of ownership. Nearly two years of 120-mile round trip commutes have toughened me up apparently, as I no longer complain, but it is a design flaw.

    Interesting post. Thanks.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

  12. #9
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL and Upstate NY
    Posts
    4,668
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 405 Times in 214 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    we have a 2013 Silver LTZ 1.8 turbo. We are closing on on 20,000 miles.

    What we like: good (not great) fuel economy. VERY comfortable driving position (you sit a tad higher and have more headroom than some compacts and even midsizers). The dashboard and guages have a simple, easy to read/use design. Kinda has that fun go-kart type feel when driving, easy to park.

    What we would like changed: Stereo. I know it is a subcompact, but the LTZ has 2 extra speakers, but it sounds no-where like anything I would consider an upgraded factory system. The usual complaint...the 1.4t is good, but GM has a better engine that it could have easily put in here (1.6t). Why does GM always wait to upgrade engines they are already producing? The in-dash bluetooth-to-cell phone integration, our family has 3 different verizon smart phones, and NONE of them are compatible with the sytem. Worse yet, we have emailed support about that on 3 seperate occasions and have yet to hear back from anyone. We are done trying.

    I also agree with the above post. The armrest on the door (and entire door panel) is just hard plastic. It woudln't have killed them to put even a 1/8 of an inch of padding or some softer material. I realize this is a subcompact, but our LTZ hatch I'm pretty sure had a sticker close to $20k.

  13. #10
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    33,884
    Thanks
    7,986
    Thanked 6,442 Times in 4,028 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    Upholstery shop could probably fix the armpains I mean rests for fitty dollah.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

    The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

  14. #11
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,732
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    2012 2LT (22k miles and 12 months of ownership)
    sound: speakers are weak and needs an amp IMO
    fuel economy: can't complain at all, getting 37mpg normally (lots of highway)
    fun to drive and handles decently in the snow
    the 1.4T is solid engine, not sure why people on here bash the engine when they don't drive the engine on a daily basis

    the new Fiesta is a good car but it's just a warmed over version of first generation. Interior is ok, rear of the vehicle-well styling is subjective
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

  15. #12
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Humble, TX (Houston)
    Posts
    9,682
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    2012 LT Hatch, 1.4L Turbo/6-Speed Manual, Bought 11/11, 28,000 Miles

    I LOVE my Sonic. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's been back to the dealer only once and that was to realign a climate control part that was improperly installed at the factory. Not bad for an early first-year car.

    The car is well-built, well-designed, comfortable (I'm 5'9"/400lbs.), economical (34MPG Avg. in City) and it looks great. My iPhones have both worked pretty well with the stereo and Bluetooth, the stereo sounds good but there's not enough volume, the gauges are cool-looking and easy to read (wish there were a coolant temp though) and the car is very quiet for it's class. Sure, there are a few nits that could be better, but let's remember that GM's last attempt was the Aveo. The car will get even better with each progressive generation.

    My Sonic has been modded with full turbo-back exhaust, an intake, full tune and shifter bushings, but I recently went back to stock (except for the cat-back and shifter bushings) because I needed to pass emissions and I'm planning to trade 'er in on something with an automatic if I can because the traffic here is just ridiculous now. One of my replacement options is another Sonic and I wouldn't consider anything else in this class, unless I were looking for performance, then I'd have to consider the Fiesta ST.



    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

    Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewGS For This Useful Post:

    dbc30531 (12-30-2013)

  17. #13
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 posaune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia
    Posts
    3,726
    Thanks
    1,214
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 894 Posts

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    I have a 2012 LTZ Hatch w/ 1.8L Auto, bought new in Feb 2103. Currently have about 20k miles on it. I only have a few issues but overall we absolutely love the car.

    Issues:
    1) small, round trim piece that goes around the door lock on the passenger door will pop up on occasion. Not a big deal and I plan on using a small dab of adhesive to lock it down better.
    2) Came outside on a cool morning in September and the windshield had a 12 inch crack that wasn't there the night before when I parked. I couldn't find any evidence of a chip. Service manager and the Chevy dealer found a very minor surface chip at the very edge of the glass on the crack that he said caused it. It didn't look like it should have caused enough trauma actually stress the glass enough to cause the crack. I have had worse chips in other vehicles that didn't result in cracks. Maybe the glass is more thin on the Sonic or maybe it was just a hit in the wrong spot but it is annoying and is going to cost me a few hundred to fix.
    3) Small center caps on the wheels have faded some. Not easily noticeable.
    4) The heated seats don't turn on when using remote start even though I have it selected to do so.

    Other than that I am completely satisfied. The Sonic is fun to drive, peppy and looks good. The interior room between the Sonic and the Cruze was not discernible when we were checking out the cars before buying (at the Washington International Auto Show).

    I would not hesitate to buy another Sonic!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

    "Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to posaune For This Useful Post:

    dbc30531 (01-21-2014)

  19. #14
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cornelia, GA
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Ride
    2003 Honda Accord EX-V6 Sedan

    Re: Sonic: Pros and Cons from owners - lets hear your thoughts

    Thanks. Would love a "new" Captiva, but the only one we can get here in the USA is a "used" from a rental fleet that is the old Saturn CUV.

  20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2