Riffle drives the outgoing Malibu

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riffle drives the outgoing Malibu

Thanks

Riffle drives the outgoing Malibu

Getting my oil changed recently at the Chevy dealership in town, I decided to take a spin in a 2010 Chevy Malibu. I've liked the look of the car since it came out, and I was curious about how it drove. This particular example was a mocha brown low-trim level ex-rental with the 2.4l 4 cylinder engine and approximately 35,000 on the clock.

While I could have had my choice of quite a few brand spanking new Malibus, I wanted to get a feel for how it would stand up over time. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the car didn't have a single squeak or rattle, in stark contrast to nearly every GM I've driven in the past. My other thoughts:

-Road noise is hushed quite well. Engine noise was present, but not intrusive.
    -Ride and handling are just about perfect imo. Our rather short route took us along a few roads in poor shape and the car soaked up the bumps well, without feeling floaty. Curves weren't an issue either.
    -It felt rather underpowered. My Taurus with Ford's 165hp Vulcan V6 feels faster than the Malibu. The Malibu should make up for it in fuel economy, so I wouldn't call it a dealbreaker. Of course there is always the v6 too.
    -While still comfortable, the Malibu felt surprisingly narrow inside.
    -Visibility was much better than I expected for a newer car.
    -The trunk is quite large, but oddly has a rather small opening.

Anywho, it was a short test drive so there's not much else I have to say. I'm very impressed with the Malibu, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming model (despite the strange interior changes).

My rating system:

Would I buy this car? Yes.

I would like to drive a Camry to compare the two. Not that interested in bothering salesmen though.

I'll stop back and get some pics Sunday.
    There's no apology for stupid, boy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: Riffle drives the outgoing Malibu

thanks for the review and the leasing deals are so strong on this vehicle over the past year....I test drove one too and was debating if I should lease the malibu or buy snow tires...since the cost of ownership of either was about the same..

I thought it was a nice vehicle.....and good looking too.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,541 Times in 3,772 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

I got a great deal on mine, so I leased it. If you're in the market for a Malibu, the V6 is the way to go, IMHO.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,275 Times in 3,507 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    I got a great deal on mine, so I leased it. If you're in the market for a Malibu, the V6 is the way to go, IMHO.
    Agreed, for me lack of a V6 is a deal breaker.. which means for 2013, the only GM FWD sedan I would even consider is the La Crosse...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Agreed, for me lack of a V6 is a deal breaker.. which means for 2013, the only GM FWD sedan I would even consider is the La Crosse...

And the new Impala which is coming in 2094.

I love the LaCrosse though.
    Current:

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks

Yeah, I went to Dallas and back August (to attend Quakecon 2011). The Taurus did well, but loaded up with 2 people, their stuff for a week, a desktop computer, and some boxes to take to the GF's sister on the way back it was a dog. I turned the ac off going through the near-mountainous areas of Missouri (way too hot to go without AC for any long periods of time). I shudder to think of how the 4-banger Malibu I drove would've done.

That's a rare situation though. I'm sure the 4 cylinder Malibu would serve me just fine. I do possibly have a significant pay increase coming...

But I'm not interested in a car payment right now.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King Riffle View Post
    Yeah, I went to Dallas and back August (to attend Quakecon 2011). The Taurus did well, but loaded up with 2 people, their stuff for a week, a desktop computer, and some boxes to take to the GF's sister on the way back it was a dog. I turned the ac off going through the near-mountainous areas of Missouri (way too hot to go without AC for any long periods of time). I shudder to think of how the 4-banger Malibu I drove would've done.

That's a rare situation though. I'm sure the 4 cylinder Malibu would serve me just fine. I do possibly have a significant pay increase coming...

But I'm not interested in a car payment right now.
    This is something very few people ever seem to consider with today's 4 cylinder only engine lineups. Sure they feel adequate most of the time with one or two people aboard going on flat levels roads. But with the A/C blasting, a full trunk and 3-4 passengers many of the 4 cylinder cars fall flat on there faces when trying to pass on a two lane road or worse going up steep grades. I had a rental Equinox AWD with the base 2.4 and it felt peppy enough in normal driving. Loaded up with the A/C roaring on a hot day made passing very risky and it would not maintain speed up anything other than a slight hill. Long grades were painful and the engine was roaring it's head off. This is where V6's and lots of torque can't be beat.

Thanks

That's true, but there's always the option of renting a vehicle when you need, too. Next year we'll probably take the van.

Ponchoman, are you the same Ponchoman who built this:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/205292...hevrolet-astro

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Agreed with a lot of what you said. Mine just hit 30k not to long ago.
    My father has a 2003 Taurus with the Vulcan, and he says the same thing, despite the 2.4 has more HP.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

I like them, on my 6th one now, had 2 2004, a 2005, a 2006 SS MAXX and now my 2010 4 banger oh 5 I guess.....

liked them all, the SS Maxx the most, but I like the 4 banger for the milage, its a solid car
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    This is something very few people ever seem to consider with today's 4 cylinder only engine lineups. Sure they feel adequate most of the time with one or two people aboard going on flat levels roads. But with the A/C blasting, a full trunk and 3-4 passengers many of the 4 cylinder cars fall flat on there faces when trying to pass on a two lane road or worse going up steep grades. I had a rental Equinox AWD with the base 2.4 and it felt peppy enough in normal driving. Loaded up with the A/C roaring on a hot day made passing very risky and it would not maintain speed up anything other than a slight hill. Long grades were painful and the engine was roaring it's head off. This is where V6's and lots of torque can't be beat.
    that is what the manual button is for on the side.....

a Nox would have a 6 speed and are quite peppy, so I find htis story hard to beleive, but either way drop to manual down shift and go

I load my bu up with kids, luggage, whatever, and it maintains 140kmph quite nicely driving to Vancouver, and that is thru the rockies so it cant be that bad
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

I love my Malibu. I just love looking at it in a parking lot. It has such a classy design and beautiful lines! This car made me fall in love with Chevy cars for the first time. I really dislike the new interior design of the new Malibu, so hopefully my 2011 will last awhile!

Thanks for the write-up Riffle!
    Get used to more.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

My only major issue with the Malibu is that I think it's a little floaty, particularly at low speeds. A parking lot is interesting to navigate if you're not used to driving it. The 169 horses do just fine, matching pretty comparably with my Saturn V6's 182, and with WAY better gas mileage. Rearward visibility is kinda poor, especially if you're shorter (not a problem for me, but it is for my grandmother). The car is well built, and nicely appointed for a good price. I dunno why you'd opt for the 6; it's not worth the extra $$$ IMO.

The Equinox is a whole different animal. I'd probably prefer the 6 for it.
    My Car: 2002 Saturn L300 V6 (pictures coming soon)

Follow My Blog (not all car stuff, but some): theotherguy92.wordpress.com

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by The Other Guy View Post
    My only major issue with the Malibu is that I think it's a little floaty, particularly at low speeds. A parking lot is interesting to navigate if you're not used to driving it. The 169 horses do just fine, matching pretty comparably with my Saturn V6's 182, and with WAY better gas mileage. Rearward visibility is kinda poor, especially if you're shorter (not a problem for me, but it is for my grandmother). The car is well built, and nicely appointed for a good price. I dunno why you'd opt for the 6; it's not worth the extra $$$ IMO.

The Equinox is a whole different animal. I'd probably prefer the 6 for it.

If GM had put the 2.4L and 3.6L DI engines in the Malibu, it would have been class leading for sure. Regarding the "float", it depends on which one you drive. Mine has 18" wheels, and I think they nailed ride quality with them. The 'Bu's with 17" wheels are a little floaty, so I agree. Regarding the V6 in the Malibu... it's well worth it. Nearly the same mileage (remember where the torque is) with a better aural experience and refining. The V6 is a must, IMHO.
    Current:

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    If GM had put the 2.4L and 3.6L DI engines in the Malibu, it would have been class leading for sure. Regarding the "float", it depends on which one you drive. Mine has 18" wheels, and I think they nailed ride quality with them. The 'Bu's with 17" wheels are a little floaty, so I agree. Regarding the V6 in the Malibu... it's well worth it. Nearly the same mileage (remember where the torque is) with a better aural experience and refining. The V6 is a must, IMHO.
    The one I've driven is the LTZ with 18 inchers. It's got a very nice ride, but it tends to feel disconnected from the road sometimes IMO.

I haven't driven the V6, though I think the 4 does quite a nice job; even with 4 adults in it and AC blasting it seems to have plenty of juice. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than the 6.
    My Car: 2002 Saturn L300 V6 (pictures coming soon)

Follow My Blog (not all car stuff, but some): theotherguy92.wordpress.com

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information