Review: Subaru Crosstrek

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Review: Subaru Crosstrek

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Review: Subaru Crosstrek

Went car shopping with a friend this weekend. He had his mind made up that a Subaru Crosstrek should be his next vehicle. He was trading in a perfectly nice 2010 VW Jetta that has been a bit of a problem child.

Anyhow, we both left the Subi dealer scratching our heads. What do folks see in them? The interiors on pretty much all their cars scream cheap, the Crosstreck was noisy and underpowered, if GM put it's interior in a panel Van the folks here on GMI would think GM's doomed. You can get a decent manual with the Crosstrek, but you're limited to a lousy CVT if you want an automatic. Aside from AWD, nice styling, and a decent ride, neither one of us found any one single great thing about it. Add the fact its pricier than most of the competition. Needless to say my friend left without a Crosstrek.

All in all not impressed. The Legacy is a nice car and the STi is neat, but other than that I can't see what's great about them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Re: Review: Subaru Crosstrek

Crosstrek is slow, ugly, and a bore to drive. I don't get it.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

I've never figured out the love for the Subaru brand as a whole. Their vehicles look and feel so cheap.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Traditionally, Subaru's have been purchased for their powertrains (the boxer and the AWD system, which is much, much better than pretty much everyone elses). Interiors and exterior styling have never been a priority though they're trying to go mainstream now
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Banned
    Thanks

The CrossTrek would make the perfect platform to update (enlarge) the Subaru "Brat"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

The interior with the standard radio (no navigation) is the better looking option. I hate the nav screen that they have in the Crosstrek. The manual gearbox is a nice feature.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,180 Times in 4,403 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Soobies seem to be yuppie and aging hippemobiles. I think you can successfully typecast Soobie drivers 90% of the time.

I had a rental some years back, a Forester wagon, which I took because there was nothing else on the lot.

I wrote it up here. Talk about a POS. Seats were a backache. Motor sounded like an old Beetle.
    NOT like my '71 Superbeetle with factory extractor, which had a very mellow sound.

The radio sucked. It had no power. The trans didn't like to kick down. My back hurt. Oh, I said that. Its handling was cumbersome.

Without looking up my notes, that's what I remember about the car.

Yet Soobies have a cachet, a loyal fanz base who buy again and again and again. God bless 'em.

I see a lot of WRX around here, typically piloted by Young Bloods as one of my factory colleagues called them. No, not Bloods as in gangstaz, young studz types.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Subaru is heating up in Northern Virginia with the aged.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '14 CX-5, '12 Chrysler 200

We looked pretty closely at the Crosstek when shopping for our last vehicle. The thing we are looking for in a car now we thought it had, a small to midsized car with a SLIGHTLY elevated ride height and good fuel economy (taller than many compact cars, but shorter than a typical SUV/crossover)

We thought we may have found it in the Crosstek, but after sitting it, the seats just seemed awful, I couldn't get comfortable in it.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I see quite a few around here. While not quite my cup of tea they look many times better than the Jeep Cherokee.
    At least Subaru still knows something about proportions and isn't putting lights in weird places.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    Subaru is heating up in Northern Virginia with the aged.
    Up in nothern idaho they are as common as trees.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information