Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90

Thread: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

  1. #1
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    1,413
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

    Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna



    In a comparison review earlier this year, this reviewer judged the minivan to be the best type of large family vehicle and the 2010 Toyota Sienna to be the best of the minivans – despite some flaws that held it short of ideal.

    Just one month after that review was published, 2010 Siennas disappeared from dealer lots in favor of a fully redesigned 2011 model. The new Sienna promised to leapfrog the more modern interior designs, driving dynamics, safety ratings, and fuel economy of the vans that have been introduced since the previous generation appeared in 2004 – that is to say, every minivan.

    Mission accomplished?
    Continued at link:

    http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-Autos...ta-Sienna-XLE-

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    K-1
    K-1 is offline
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 K-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    3,730
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    New front-runner for the Ugliest Thing on Four Wheels Award.

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,971
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 111 Times in 67 Posts

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    bradyholt,

    As always, the review is thorough. I'm curious about something: the official specifications for the 2011 Sienna put the second and third row leg room as noticeably lower than the 2010. Did you have an opportunity to compare them side by side?

    I have to say, I'm pleased by the price increases on the Sienna and Odyssey. It makes it easier for my wife and I to justify getting a Traverse or Flex instead - with current discounts, a Traverse or Flex is about the same price as an equivalent Sienna or Odyssey. A few years ago, there was a more noticeable cost gap.

    Still, ideally GM or Ford would return to the minivan segment with a competitive entry. That would be the best option of all. (The Chrysler minivans are generally reviewed very well, but both mechanics I use frequently and several other mechanics I've met all have very poor opinions of their reliability.)

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    18,178
    Thanks
    1,139
    Thanked 944 Times in 645 Posts
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Nothing can dethrone the SsangYong Stavic! NOTHING!

    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

    Hidden Content

    Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

  7. #5
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,554
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 842 Times in 412 Posts

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Why would they tack their Lexus style bumpers onto a minivan?

  8. #6
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    1,413
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    bradyholt,

    As always, the review is thorough. I'm curious about something: the official specifications for the 2011 Sienna put the second and third row leg room as noticeably lower than the 2010. Did you have an opportunity to compare them side by side?

    I have to say, I'm pleased by the price increases on the Sienna and Odyssey. It makes it easier for my wife and I to justify getting a Traverse or Flex instead - with current discounts, a Traverse or Flex is about the same price as an equivalent Sienna or Odyssey. A few years ago, there was a more noticeable cost gap.

    Still, ideally GM or Ford would return to the minivan segment with a competitive entry. That would be the best option of all. (The Chrysler minivans are generally reviewed very well, but both mechanics I use frequently and several other mechanics I've met all have very poor opinions of their reliability.)
    I didn't get them side-by-side. My test drive last month was only the second day they had 2011s in stock and their 2010s were already gone. There's no shortage of leg room that I noticed; if I had to guess, I'd say that the new fore-aft adjustment did something to the measurement system.

    And I'd need to crunch the numbers again, but I'm pretty sure that the Sienna remains less expensive than a Traverse or Flex (unless you want a factory DVD system with cloth seats and no nav).

  9. #7
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    17,922
    Thanks
    2,233
    Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,723 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    And I'd need to crunch the numbers again, but I'm pretty sure that the Sienna remains less expensive than a Traverse or Flex (unless you want a factory DVD system with cloth seats and no nav).
    That could be possible IF you could find a Sienna that way. With Toyota's optioning and limiting certain options in certain areas of the nation it could make it impossible in some areas to get one built the way you want it.

    Although, I wouldnt buy a Sienna they certainly have the market cornered with the new one. With GM abandoning the minivan market it makes me sad because they are certainly able to build a better one than any other automaker.
    Hidden Content

    Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

  10. #8
    K-1
    K-1 is offline
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 K-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    3,730
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Why would they tack their Lexus style bumpers onto a minivan?
    Easy, their design department has no f***ing clue.

  11. #9
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    7,418
    Thanks
    219
    Thanked 90 Times in 48 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    The dude in the "Swagger Wagon" commercial is a little weak.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

    Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

  12. #10
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    1,413
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    That could be possible IF you could find a Sienna that way. With Toyota's optioning and limiting certain options in certain areas of the nation it could make it impossible in some areas to get one built the way you want it.
    I think you misread me. I said it's cheaper if you're fine with the way Toyota options it, but that the other two are more flexible.


    Although, I wouldnt buy a Sienna they certainly have the market cornered with the new one. With GM abandoning the minivan market it makes me sad because they are certainly able to build a better one than any other automaker.
    Based on the Traverse, I'm inclined to agree. We'll see how the 2011 Odyssey and Quest turn out -- surely one of the big Japanese three can do something big with a segment none of them had really touched since 2005.

  13. #11
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    17,922
    Thanks
    2,233
    Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,723 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    I think you misread me. I said it's cheaper if you're fine with the way Toyota options it, but that the other two are more flexible.
    Ahhh gotcha. Yea, agree with you on that.


    Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    Based on the Traverse, I'm inclined to agree. We'll see how the 2011 Odyssey and Quest turn out -- surely one of the big Japanese three can do something big with a segment none of them had really touched since 2005.
    Hidden Content

    Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

  14. #12
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,971
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 111 Times in 67 Posts

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    I didn't get them side-by-side. My test drive last month was only the second day they had 2011s in stock and their 2010s were already gone. There's no shortage of leg room that I noticed; if I had to guess, I'd say that the new fore-aft adjustment did something to the measurement system.
    That would make sense if the official total cubic feet of interior space went up.

    And I'd need to crunch the numbers again, but I'm pretty sure that the Sienna remains less expensive than a Traverse or Flex (unless you want a factory DVD system with cloth seats and no nav).
    Well, I consider the power sliding doors essential. My parents had a 1987 Ford Econoline and later a 1994 Nissan Quest (Mercury Villager), both with the manual doors, and there were enough slammed fingers, feet, and heads for me to vow never purchase a passenger van without power sliding doors with pinch detection.

    Yahoo! Autos thinks the cheapest Sienna with power sliding doors is the LE 8-passenger at $28,900 MSRP. There are no current discounts that I know of on the new Sienna, while the Traverse is currently at $2000 in rebates and the Flex is at $2500. So right now, the domestic competition is a better deal (if you can sacrifice the minivan's greatly superior interior room - and since we already have an Odyssey, we can).

    Granted, if you want a no frills Sienna 4-cylinder with manual doors, you still undercut the Flex and Traverse by a very solid $3000.

  15. #13
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    1,413
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    That would make sense if the official total cubic feet of interior space went up.



    Well, I consider the power sliding doors essential. My parents had a 1987 Ford Econoline and later a 1994 Nissan Quest (Mercury Villager), both with the manual doors, and there were enough slammed fingers, feet, and heads for me to vow never purchase a passenger van without power sliding doors with pinch detection.

    Yahoo! Autos thinks the cheapest Sienna with power sliding doors is the LE 8-passenger at $28,900 MSRP. There are no current discounts that I know of on the new Sienna, while the Traverse is currently at $2000 in rebates and the Flex is at $2500. So right now, the domestic competition is a better deal (if you can sacrifice the minivan's greatly superior interior room - and since we already have an Odyssey, we can).

    Granted, if you want a no frills Sienna 4-cylinder with manual doors, you still undercut the Flex and Traverse by a very solid $3000.
    Dealers in this area are selling those LE V6 Siennas out the door at $28xxx. I'd need to get price quotes, but I'm pretty sure that's still less than even the discounted Flex or Traverse -- which of course also lack any "pinch protection."

    (Growing up, the only car door I had my hand caught in was a Ford Escort's -- my sister and I survived two manual-door vans.)

  16. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,971
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 111 Times in 67 Posts

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Your family was smarter than mine, then.

    I realize the Flex and Traverse don't have power-closing doors either. But both as a kid and with my own kids there are far fewer pinched body parts closing a regular car door.

  17. #15
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC DriveOne.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    My Ride
    Fords, a Lincoln + a Cadillac

    Re: Review: 2011 Toyota Sienna

    Wow this thing is ugly. Looks like a bloated Camry mated with a Venza. I do not like this at all. Especially this picture -- look how far out the front bumper sticks:


    However, I will admit for a minivan it has a lot of style (even if it's not all good). Interior looks very comfortable too.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2