Review: 2010 Ford Fusion SEL

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Review: 2010 Ford Fusion SEL

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Review: 2010 Ford Fusion SEL

I was looking to buy a car next spring, and I had several vehicles on my radar: Cruze, new Focus, and new Optima. I never considered the Fusion because I didn't think I could afford a nice one (I would rather buy a nicer smaller car than a lesser equipped larger car). I had been saving for months for my next car, and I had a decent down payment saved up, I was just waiting for the new models to come out. Well, my old car literally falling apart in a matter of a month bumped up my plans considerably and none of the cars were out yet. Fortunately, clearance pricing and a TrueCar.com internet special made a Fusion as affordable as a new Cruze, Focus or Optima likely would have been if I had bought one within a few months of release.

Well, there were 3 Fusions I was seriously considering: a black SE (cloth with the "Sun and SYNC" package, aka the "necessary luxuries" I wanted), red SEL (leather with SYNC, sunroof and premium Sony stereo) and a black SEL (completely loaded with every option except a navigation screen). I really wanted black, but I didn't want to budge out of my price range for features I deemed unnecessary. But, I didn't want to sacrifice interior features and luxury for the exterior that I wanted, even though it came at a lower price.

Ultimately, it was like the story of the 3 bears: the fully loaded model was too hot because of the price being out of my comfort zone, the SE model was too cold because the interior felt much cheaper without the leather trim, and the cloth seats didn't “hug” me quite as well as the leather seats did. Leather interior makes a HUGE difference in terms of upscale feel...the car felt $10,000 cheaper in cloth form (but it didn't cost that much less). The red SEL, despite not being the color I wanted, was just right. And quite frankly, the more I look at it, the more I love the red color.

Perhaps it's because my old car, a 2003 Focus was so loud it could likely cause hearing damage thanks to a chronic howling noise that I've nicknamed the “mystery noise”...a noise my own mechanic couldn't even figure out (it was never quiet even before there was a mystery noise, for that matter), but the interior of the Fusion felt whisper quiet. The doors close with a satisfying thud that screams "quality" and "excellent fit and finish."

I was interested in the 2011 Kia Optima because of the 200 horsepower 4-cylinder engine, so I was skeptical of the 175 horsepower 4-cylinder in a heavier car than the Optima. Honestly, I was surprised when I first kicked the engine up from 60 to 80 MPH. The engine feels smooth compared to the buzzing, vibrating, 110 horsepower mess of junk under the hood of my Focus. While not a rocket ship, acceleration is much quicker than I thought it would be, and I even feel some nice torque, which is a pleasant surprise. Plenty of power for what I'm looking for, since I don't want a sports car due to high insurance costs and higher costs at the pump. Four bangers mated to six-speed transmissions make V6's unnecessary for midsize sedans unless you want to a) burn extra fuel or b) buy the Sport model for sports handling, as far as I'm concerned.

The car handles bumps with ease with an incredibly smooth ride compared to the Focus. I haven't pushed the car to its limits, and don't plan to, but the car is built off of the Mazda 6 chassis, so it has some athletic handling to it. The car handles on windy roads and takes highway ramps with ease, more stable than I originally thought when I test drove it. The steering felt "loose" to me at first, but as I get used to it I appreciate the feel of the car. A sports car this is not, but the more I drive it, the more I love it. I never thought a family sedan from a volume brand could feel so refined.

I'm slowly, but surely, learning the Ford SYNC system. It's taking some getting used to and I still can't figure out how to have my text messages read out loud to me, but having features such as hands-free calling, turn by turn directions and live traffic in an affordable car is truly mind blowing...SYNC was a major, major selling point to me (and Kia's SYNC-like system known as UVO had me virtually sold on the Optima before this) and I can't wait to become more accustomed to it.

As for the interior, it blew me away when I first sat in my friend's 2010 Fusion SEL about 9 months prior. The experience is much the same from the driver's seat of my own Fusion. I enjoy how the seats “hug” me, and there's plenty of soft-touch, high quality materials on the dashboard and doors. Just some general car buying views on my part: If you're stuck choosing between a newer model with cloth interior or an older model (or smaller car) with leather interior, choose the leather interior. It just feels so much more upscale, like you're driving a luxury car without the luxury price tag. The Sony Stereo thunders compared to my old stereo...a "system" that most teenage boys wanted in high school this is not...but it does the job with crystal clear quality.

One feature I'm disappointed I'll be missing out on in the 2011 Optima is the option for cooled front seats, as the Fusion only offers heated seats...but is that really a reason to complain?

Ford hit a home run with this car and I'm beyond stoked that I get to be a proud owner of one. I've truly been trying not to come off as gloating when I talk about the car to my friends. I almost feel like this car is too good for me and I almost feel guilty talking about it. But nothing replaces the feeling of satisfaction I get when I sit in this car. Kudos to Ford, you really outdid yourselves.

(sidenote: I originally wrote this piece a couple days after I bought the car...as I become more familiar with it, the more I love it. No wonder it was the Motor Trend Car of the Year.)
    Last edited by Ammo; 08-19-2010 at 11:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Re: Review: 2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Congrats. I doubt you will miss the cooled seats too much. I see a Carbon Black Metallic 2010 Fusion Sport at work everyday. It looks great! So many features that 'Bu just doesn't have right now. Hope the 2011 model addresses them all.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,180 Times in 4,403 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Congratulations on your new car, Ammo.
    I presume the Fusion has VVT, that makes a big difference in torque for these not-so-torquey ohc mills.

Enjoy your driving experience in a light-years-ahead of your last ride motorized vehicle!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I think this is a beautiful car, especially given the color you purchased it in. I glad that silver wasn't a consideration, because I think that silver causes the grill to blend in too much.

I view this car and the Malibu as being the best looking cars in the segment, and while I feel the Malibu is very upscale looking, especially in the LTZ trim, I feel that this car takes a very modern approach to being upscale. The two cars are almost complete opposites. I'm not a huge fan of the interior design but overall I think its an excellent car from Ford.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Flex, 2015 Edge

Re: TXT Messages and SYNC - To use the feature your phone has to support TXT over BT, and many do not (iPhone for instance doesn't). Of recent phones it seems the Droid X works the best with the TXT system (from what I've read, I have not tried myself). I suppose it may be an Android 2.1 feature.
    Following the band.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
    Re: TXT Messages and SYNC - To use the feature your phone has to support TXT over BT, and many do not (iPhone for instance doesn't). Of recent phones it seems the Droid X works the best with the TXT system (from what I've read, I have not tried myself). I suppose it may be an Android 2.1 feature.
    I have a Droid X. I think I've figured it out but I only received one text...it says online to press Ok twice...I pressed it once and got part of the message then again and it stopped speaking.

I really can't emphasize enough how "solid" the car feels. It has the "thud" when you close it of more expensive cars. My dad's friend was looking at it last night and was amazed by the sound it made and how easily the doors closed.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Glad you enjoy your fusion, my cousin just recently bought a White SE with spoiler and cloth interior and she just loves it, they got a great deal on it and wouldn't trade it for the world...,

My GF is also thinking about trading in her 06 civic for an SE.... It's a great car

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_6 View Post
    Glad you enjoy your fusion, my cousin just recently bought a White SE with spoiler and cloth interior and she just loves it, they got a great deal on it and wouldn't trade it for the world...,

My GF is also thinking about trading in her 06 civic for an SE.... It's a great car
    If she can afford a 2010 SEL on clearance, I suggest going that route. The leather interior makes a world of difference having sat in both the SE and SEL. It's not that the SE interior feels cheap...it doesn't, it's that the SEL feels $10,000 more expensive. I knew I had to splurge a bit and get it because I feel like I'm driving a luxury car. The leather-wrapped steering wheel alone just gives you a poop-eating grin when you touch it compared to the regular wheel.
    Last edited by Ammo; 08-20-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

I drove a Ford Fusion SEL V6 AWD rental the other day and, while I'm unlikely to buy one, found it to be a solidly put together piece though not exactly exciting.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

A lovely review Ammo, and I hope you enjoy the car.

I almost leased a Fusion S with a five-speed in 2007, but at the last moment opted for my Sonata because of higher feature content for less money. I also wasn't too big on the dashboard design of Fusion 1.0, but many of my complaints about the Fusion's interior have been successfully addressed with the 2010 MCE. The soft touch materials, new stereo/HVAC interface and the stellar electroluminescent gauges really transform the car, IMO.

On a side note, I appreciated your comments about leather vs. cloth. I'm the exact opposite of you, I much prefer cloth because of the way it grips and breathes, that and it does not crack and split like leather. My Volvo is the first car I ever owned with leather, and I sincerely wish it was a lesser 940 with cloth.

Just interesting how we're so partisan about something as trivial as upholstery. If someone wanted to, they could probably start a whole new thread about leather vs. cloth!
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

My mom still loves her 07 Fusion SEL, excellent car.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

congratulations! I just bought a V6 SE as well.I actually didnt opt for the Sport because I didnt want leather interior (because of the care and attention needed to keep it crack free) and the sport package is a bit too aggressive for an every day commuter on somewhat bad roads. Its also cheaper to insure.
    I know what you mean about the doors. The satisfying heavy thud of the doors is reminiscent of a more upscale Cadillac or Lincoln, and the interior is very quiet. the car has a very controlled yet slightly agressive feeling to it. I love the SYNC features in my car and I never owned a vehicle with a moonroof before now. I could get used to it
    OVerall, I have only two gripes about the car, and they are small. In the Louisiana heat of the dealership a small portion of the moonroof cover trim began to separate, although that is out of sight from the interior of the cabin and only noticeable if you look in from the top of the car. Secondly, the center console is a mess of buttons and the top storage bin looks a bit of a cheap afterthought compared to the Malibus better integrated lid. Aside from that though, this is my affordable dream car and Im so excited to finally own one!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

After driving my co-workers 2010 Fusion Sport FWD 3.5 and a rental 2010 SE with 3.0 liter 240 HP V6 I was a bit dissapointed in the 4 cylinder versions but that is to be expected. Still if my former car was a 110 HP Focus this 175 HP Fusion would be like a dream. These are very good cars overall and I always feel like a I have a bit more interior space and trunk room than any 2008-2011 Malibu I have driven. GM's 2.4 170 HP Ecotec does have the edge in idle quality and overall refinement however. I noticed a 2011 white FWD Fusion SE with the 3.0 liter V6 and it's mileage ratings have gone up to 20/28 from 19/27 or what the 2008-2009 4 cylinder automatics were rated at. Well done Ford!

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information