Quick Review: 2013 Malibu Eco 1SA and 1LT

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Quick Review: 2013 Malibu Eco 1SA and 1LT

Thanks

Quick Review: 2013 Malibu Eco 1SA and 1LT

First sorry for not snapping pictures it was really spur of the moment. My car is only a few months old but I have had some tremendous losses recently and sad to say I was going to buy a new car to make my self feel better. What really was pushing me is Capital One keeps sending me approvals and upping the amount. I actually am ok with my car and don't want to get rid of it. I let the last check expire but this time I went in and said you know what if I like the Bu I will get one. First I test drove the 2.5 which I have to say was slow. I mean it really was barley good enough but I could live with it. The car looks decent with nice sized wheels but smaller ones make it look like crap. Interior quality is ok but GM please lay off the fake chrome everywhere....I thought the fake wood would bother me but it didn't actually it was the chrome. Still the car is not bad for the class but certainly not anywhere near the top of the pack.

Next I drove an Eco 1SA which looked ok again and immediately while turning out I said wow! It did have the tremendous body roll that the rags spoke of and my god if I thought the 2.5 was slow this thing is for people who are over 65. The sales lady said who do you think this car is for? I said someone between 50 -60 who cares nothing about cars or performance that just want to cruise very slow in a quite cabin. She laughed a little and said this is the car I want. I said I'm sorry. Then she said no your right only thing is I'm 45 so you were not to far off. Needless to say I felt totally good about getting back in my V and heading off. Only thing on the lot that really interested me was the 2014 Impala and the Volt. Everything else is a bit dated and/or about to be replaced. I have to say I see why they are rushing to fix the car because everyone did shoot right past them.

1LT was stickered at $26800 and with discounts for me $23800 but if you had AARP and USSA Insurance you could get additional discount bringing it to $21830.

Eco 1SA stickered at $27550 and with discounts for me $23,000 if like above $22,250.

Also I did not negotiate because little did they know I was not buying it from them I just wanted to test drive.
    Last edited by rueben44; 05-20-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Re: Quick Review: 2013 Malibu Eco 1SA and 1LT

What V do you drive? The slow thing might be becouse you came in a rocket ship. Virtually everything is going to be slow for you.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

His "V" is a Hyundai Veloster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,132 Times in 4,375 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Thanks for the write-ups, rueben. Sorry for your losses. Nothing like a new caah to spice things up a bit!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

I had a similar experience with these trims but think I would have bought if the Turbo model had been on the lot in October.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks

Thx Neanderthal...LOL! You know I did not think of test driving the turbo. What really made me mad at first is the fact that they pulled up what I paid for my car and tried to low ball me on my trade. I told them your not going to punish me because I negotiated a great deal. Either you give me what the intelleprice(sp) is or I walk....oh and I have my own financing already. They came around and said well we will just take it off the price of the car to make up the difference. They learned that I can be very aggressive when buying a car.

Oh and I wish I had a V as in Velocity rather than a Veloster but I still like my car.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

A 2.5 2013 Malibu is quicker than a Veloster unless of course it is a turbo. Both 2013 Malibu's I have driven are 7.7 0-60 cars which isn't surprising with 197 Hp and 191 torque.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 Times in 2,564 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

You are surprised that neither one of the cars are fast? lol Come on now, you drove a 4 cylinder. Heck, the Veloster in auto form is a 0-60 of 9 second car. That is much slower than either Malibu you drove. The turbo isnt much better at 6.8 seconds to 60. Anyway you cut it, they are all slow.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    A 2.5 2013 Malibu is quicker than a Veloster unless of course it is a turbo. Both 2013 Malibu's I have driven are 7.7 0-60 cars which isn't surprising with 197 Hp and 191 torque.
    Yeah I didn't get the slow thing either. Since when is anything under 8 sec. slow? Still I would wait until the revised version comes out.

Thanks

I recently spent a week with a new bu in Vancouver. I rent from National, so I have my choice of cars (you just grab one you want and go), so its not like I was forced to drive the car, I truely wanted to see what this car was like. It was a silver LS I think (Not an LT) as it had no badge on the trunk. I was expecting to be mildly impressed, as with most reviews of GM vehicles, they seem to be overly critical, and I always figured the opinions on the new bu where no different. I was not correct in assuming that however.

The car had no options that I could tell, it didn't even have a USB input. Still, I took this into context as I developed my opinion. It rode "nice", but had all of the fun of a root canal. The interior didn't have that gawd aweful wood trim, but it did have some equally poor looking silver painted finish. I was no fan of the interior design before I drove it, and now I am even less of one. It almost seems GM tried to throw every texture and material known to man in there. That horizonal vent across the dash is brutal, you can see the dust collecting on it as you drive! The cabin was quiet however, and the car seemed to sip fuel. I could see this car being decent on extended trips. Trunk space was decent and Fit an finish was fine, but with the mish-mash of textures it would be hard to tell if it wasn't.

The 2.5 I thought had decent get up and go for what it is, and when I compare it to my 2011 Fusions 2.5, sounded better, shifted better and was generally a nicer powertrain......but not by much. Compared to a new Fusion or Passat with a 2.5 (which I have driven also), it is on par from an NVH perspective, but has what seems like anyway, better get up and go. The transmission in the bu is better then the Ford, but no where close to the Passat. So from a powertrain point of view, it is the best part of the car IMO.

I'm sure a turbo 2.0 would be a much more fun car to jokey about in, but regardless of power train, it doesn't change the fact the interior of this car is terrible and so is the dynamics of the ride. I would describe the ride of the base model as numb at best, and the looks of a base model is very unatractive witht he tiny wheels. Good thing GM is rushing a refresh is all I have to say. When I compare this car to a Passat or Fusion, it gets throat punched by both those cars from the overall experience. It is slightly better than a 200, but not by much, as the interior of the 200 is nicer. Next up if I can get it will be Camary or Altima, so I can continue my own personal car review.

In the meantime...PLEASE GM, don't mess up the refresh!!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '14 CX-5, '12 Chrysler 200

Quote Originally Posted by rueben44 View Post
    The car looks decent with nice sized wheels but smaller ones make it look like crap.
    +1

To me this car has one good looking set of wheels, the ones on the LTZ turbo. Pity that you have to go up to close to $32,000 to get decent sized wheels that fit with the design of the car. (sure, You can get the 18's on the mid level trim and some like them, but even then, if you don't like them, there are no other options.) The Design of the Malibu---for some reason, lends it to look a little Silly with wheel sizes that look good on other cars.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smellhound View Post
    +1

To me this car has one good looking set of wheels, the ones on the LTZ turbo. Pity that you have to go up to close to $32,000 to get decent sized wheels that fit with the design of the car. (sure, You can get the 18's on the mid level trim and some like them, but even then, if you don't like them, there are no other options.) The Design of the Malibu---for some reason, lends it to look a little Silly with wheel sizes that look good on other cars.
    I would be willing to bet that the 2014 Malibu will upgrade to a std 17" alloy with 18 and 19 available as you move up the ladder. 17" is plenty large enough for the lower end trims and the 19" seems to suite the turbo well. The two big issues with the large 19' wheels is that they truly suck in the Winter and they are very expensive to replace. I have lived with P225/55R17's on my 2008 2LT Impala and they are plenty big enough and still do reasonably well in the Winter months.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information